Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

DarkMoomin
Beginner June 2012

Ceremony Seating?

DarkMoomin, 25 March, 2012 at 20:32 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi All,

Not sure if this is a bit of a random problem or not!

We have decided we want to reserve seats for specific people in the front few rows of the ceremony. In part this is because we were at a wedding where there was a kerfuffle just before the bride came in where it was realised there wasn't a seat int he front row for her mother or the BM!

Also, both our parents are divorced and 3 of them have remarried.

There are also practical implications, such as having seats for those doing readings in palces that are easy to get out of, and seats that the BMs can get to easily.

SO, what we had thought to do was put my parents side by side and the BMs on one side, and OHs parents and BM and brother on the front of the other side. Each person would then have their OH sat behind them (not like they are going to have a chat during the ceremony anyway!)

However, OH thinks coulples should be able to sit next to each other (although one of my BMs is the wife of his best man so won't be sat together).

Also, so advice no the net seems to suggest that if parents are divorce and remarried mother and partner is on the front row and father and new partner is on the second row... But that doesn't seem right to me. Both our parents divorced when we were in our late teens, so new partners haven't ever been parents as such, and I would rather our birth parents were both together.

We could do this and put BMs ont he second row, but then this means an amount of edging and shuffling to get them in, rather than just sitting down.

Added to this, I am not certain yet whether my dad will be walking me sownt he aisle... again, if he is a seat thats easier to sit in would be easier.

So, maybe I am over thinking this, but would appreciate some advice - what are you doing/what did you do?

Thanks!!

DM x

3 replies

Latest activity by DarkMoomin, 25 March, 2012 at 20:59
  • Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Your family situation sounds tricky, but it's definitely common to reserve the front couple of rows for the bridal party - either with little notes or have the ushers making it clear.

I think seating your parents depends a little on how well they still get on - if they're not speaking then putting them next to each other could be disastrous; if they're on reasonable terms then it could be fine. Where you put their partners is up to you, I would discuss it with your parents to make sure no-one gets upset. I would not reserve seats on the front row for BM's partners - they can spend the rest of the day with them; in the ceremony they are there for you.

As for readers, you can either reserve seats for them, or just speak to them and tell them to make sure they get a seat on the end.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I've also been pondering ceremony seating right from the beginning when we chose the church. We don't have divorced parents but we do have a dinky little church that will *just* fit everyone we're inviting into it so need to be sure that there is space reserved for all the 'important' people!

We basically counted all the rows and how many people could fit on each and then I drew up a little church layout. It's looking like this below at the moment. Not sure how we will mark the rows yet but the ushers will definatley get briefed about who is to sit where etc. Like you say, it's important to make sure theres space for your parents and bridesmaids at the front.

With your parents and partners issue, I definatley don't see whats wrong with sitting them on different rows, especially as you say the partners came into your life when you were older so you don't really consider them as parental figures as such. My bridesmaids won't be sitting with their families/partners, they'll all be on a row together.

• D
    Beginner February 2012
    Dani1984 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

about two days before we decided to make a seating plan for our actual ceremony as OH parents are divorced, we chose to have all parents sat on 2nd and 3rd row back, we kept couples together apart from the actually bridal party as no way would they have sat together and not on the same row either. we left both front rows free for BM, FG and Best man and Usher again as 2 of them were readings so needing to get up to do them.

also my dad walked me down the aisle so he needed a seat, we gave the plan to our usher who made sure everyone was sat where they were supposed to and it worked out fine and made sure certain family members were where they needed to be

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Hi all,

Thanks so much. OHs parents are on reasonable terms, having had to meet up again for BILs wedding and now they have a grandchild they manage together just fine.

My parents have only met again because of the wedding, but I think they can be trusted to sit together in the ceremony, though I wouldn't sit them next to each other in the more social parts fo the day! fortunately we can have 9 in the front row (across both sides) so that makes things a little easier!

I suppose I should check with them that they are OK to be sat next to each other before making grand decisions, but it seems several of you agree that putting partners separate is not unreasonable.

One other thing thats bugging me, is whether there is any (real or perceived) status in where on the row you are sat? i.e. aisle vs other end of the row?

Thanks!

DM x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics