Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner October 2022 Hertfordshire

Ceremony start time - 1pm or 2:30pm?!

HappyOrangeHair7124, 3 of June of 2022 at 22:50 Posted on Planning 0 12
Hi everyone!

The registrars have told us they only have 2 times available for us to have our ceremony - 1pm or 2:30pm, meaning guests would have to arrive at 12:30 or 2pm respectively. For context the overall day will finish by 1am as that’s when the bar and dance floor closes.
Would love to hear people’s views/experiences on which ceremony time you think would be better?

12 replies

Latest activity by HappyOrangeHair7124, 11 of June of 2022 at 15:11
  • Ostira
    Dedicated October 2023 Durham
    Ostira ·
    • Hide content
    I think it’s completely down to you and your plan for the day but I think especially if you’re having ceremony guests and then evening guests separately, I’d say 1pm is a good time to have the full day of celebrations 😁
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    Ours is at 2pm and we have been told that guests should arrive at 1-1.30pm by our venue, we are having ceremony and reception at the same venue so they are turning the room round for us. Our evening will finish at midnight.
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Ours was at 12 and am glad we did earlier as the day just fly's by so was pleased to have the extra time to spend with guests. Our evening finished at 1am as well. The getting r Ady was an early start bit well worth it, for me the longer the day the better as is such a special day you want it to last forever!
  • Laura
    Beginner April 2024 North Yorkshire
    Laura ·
    • Hide content

I would say absolutely make your day as long as possible! If you do 1pm you are getting a full 12 hours of celebration time x

• K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

My ceremony is at 1pm at a church, with my guests arriving at 12.30pm. I would say go for the earlier time because it gives you more time to celebrate your day. Also if you are having a reception it is better to have an earlier ceremony so the afternoon/ evening isn't rushed. To give you an idea of my timings, my ceremony is at 1pm, head to the reception venue for 2.30pm for canapes (couples photos will then be done), 4pm wedding breakfast, 6pm Speeches, 7pm first dance and cake cutting. 7.30pm- Midnight the evening reception.

• Richard
    Dedicated May 2022 Berkshire
    Richard ·
    • Hide content
    The later you have the ceremony will mean the later food will be served. We got married at 12 and food wasn't served til 2.45 and we were starving even with canapes
  • K
    Beginner June 2022 North London
    Katherine ·
    • Hide content
    We had our ceremony at 1 and finished at midnight. We wanted as much of a day as possible as it went by so quickly so very happy with our choice but two downsides: it does make the morning a bit more stressful and a rush as the bridal party have to get up very early to get ready in time for a 1pm start and our older guests (even those really not that old, around 50-60 years old) found it a very very long day and left at 8-9pm which was really very early into the evening party, which was a shame.
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    I should add that at least half our guests are from up north (where I was born and brought up) so I chose 2pm as I wanted to give them chance to get down here in the morning without having to travel Friday night or take extra time off work. Only a few are coming on Friday and having two nights in the hotel. I’ve also been told it can be a long day for people that are more elderly, we don’t have too many older guests but my future MIL is 87 so she will be home by 9 I would think!
  • Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content
    We’re going to plump for 2pm, I think. I’ve always found that a good time….means you don’t have to get up so early and your guests can eat before they get to you.
    I was a guest at a wedding that started at 12. The bride had us there at 11am….there was then lots of gaps and waiting around throughout the day as it was so early. I cried off at 10pm and went to bed (we were staying at the venue) as it was such a long day.
    I guess it depends on what time your wedding finishes. 1am is quite late so that gives you plenty of time. But, on the other hand, 1.30pm isn’t that early, so pick the time you’re happy with!
  • S
    Beginner December 2022 Lothian & Borders
    Susannah ·
    • Hide content
    Depending on time of year, 1pm will give you more time with plenty of light outside for photos.
  • G
    Curious October 2022 North Yorkshire
    Georgie ·
    • Hide content
    I’d go for the earlier time, purely so everyone can eat earlier. I went to a friends wedding the other week and didn’t eat until 4/4:30pm, which was fine, but because we were driving over lunch time to get to the venue it felt like a long time between breakfast and dinner.
  • H
    Beginner October 2022 Hertfordshire
    HappyOrangeHair7124 ·
    • Hide content
    Thanks all for your advice and responses! We’re going to go for 1pm 😊

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics