Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Laura
Beginner September 2023 North Yorkshire

Ceremony time

Laura, 23 of September of 2022 at 18:24 Posted on Planning 1 9
Hello!

The registrar only has 11.30am or 3.30pm available on the day of our wedding.
I’m torn between the 3.30pm ceremony and having a registry office legal ceremony a few days before and a celebrant and having the ceremony at 1.30/2pm.
I think my biggest concern is feeling rushed, we are having a small day do and a bigger evening starting from 7.30pm.
I can’t quite work out the timings from ceremony to canapés to 3 course meal. Seems like a lot of food in a short time followed by the evening buffet. Can anyone share their timings for a 3.30pm wedding?
Thank you!

9 replies

Latest activity by Julia, 2 of October of 2022 at 19:52
  • H
    Savvy October 2022 Essex
    Helen ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, we’re getting married in 2 weeks at 3:30pm.
    We had the same issue, the registrars could only do 12:30pm or 3:30pm on our date (and our venue had no other availability this year or next). I wanted the ‘official’ ceremony to be on the day, with all of our friends/family present, I didn’t want a registry office ceremony beforehand. So, our timings are: 3pm groom interview with registrar, 3:15pm bride interview, 3:30pm ceremony, 3:50pm confetti photos, 4pm canapés/drinks reception, 5:30pm wedding breakfast (speeches in between main and dessert), 7:45pm tea/coffee, 8pm evening bar opens, 8:20pm cake cutting, 8:30pm first dance, 9:30pm evening food, and our reception finishes at midnight. We were initially unsure about the later time/whether the day would feel short but now we’re happy with our timings - our guests have plenty of time to travel on the day, no early starts for suppliers and hair/makeup isn’t starting until 11am so I can hang out with my bridesmaids, have prep photos done etc. and not be in any rush. Due to the shorter space between the meal and evening food, our caterers recommended ordering evening food for 50% of the day guests and 100% of the evening guests. Hope this helps a bit!
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

We are 3pm ceremony so slightly off but hopefully it still helps. Ceremony at 3:00, outside for photos by 3:30, inside for drinks by 4:15, sit down for 3 course meal at 5:30. We are only having our wedding cake as evening food with no additional evening guests so thinking of that around 8pm.

7:30 may be a bit early for evening guests to arrive if you are having a 3 course meal with a 3:30 ceremony, you may find everyone hasn't finished eating yet. A lot of your day guests won't eat much from the buffet so soon after eating a big dinner so factor that in when deciding how many to cater for.
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

To throw a different perspective in... we're having a lunch time ceremony and it really does feel like only just about enough time for everything we want in the day! They go so fast as everyone says Smiley smile

I think it's a know your crowd thing too, my group (small wedding too, 50 guests) would much rather have the earlier start and the evening wrap up at midnight, than the later start and the evening go on into the earlier hours. Check with your venue too as some have music shut off times which may make you want to go earlier.

• Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    I completely understand where you’re coming from.

I think the main question is, how would you feel knowing you’ve legally got married before the wedding? Would that bother you? If not, then go for the celebrant. I love a celebrant style myself, as it’s completely personable, but feel that I may feel like something is missing without that ‘you may now kiss the bride’ moment knowing it was already legal? Each to their own though absolute personal preference! A ceremony past 3pm would be too late especially if it’s a summers day, and also depending on when your venue shuts its doors on the evening..
  • V
    Curious October 2023 East Riding of Yorkshire
    Vjh ·
    • Hide content
    Hi! We have a similar issue with the registrar only being available early in the morning (I think they said 10.30!?!!) so we’ve done the legal bit in a beautiful secret ceremony just us two and a pair of witnesses, and we’re having other half’s dad to perform our ceremony at 2 on the day so then we can have photos and canapés without rushing, wedding breakfast at 4.30/5, evening starting at 7 and finishing at midnight.
  • Laura
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    I think we’ve decided to go down the celebrant route after looking into it some more, we like the idea of what it being more personalised.
  • A
    Beginner April 2025 Greater Manchester
    Alice ·
    • Hide content

We're also going with a celebrant, like people said its way more personalised. Also, for us at least, it costs £800ish to have a registrant come to the venue but £57 to go to the registry office. We're planning on doing the legal stuff a few days before with only the very minimum basic wording (no ring vows etc.) and then having a friend officiate with the same vows my parents used when they eloped.

• Laura
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    Registry office all booked for 2 days before the wedding and celebrant booked as well 🥰
  • J
    Curious September 2022 South East London
    Julia ·
    • Hide content
    We did the legal thing in the registry office on the Wednesday before our blessing ceremony and celebration on the Saturday in my mums garden
    3:00 canapés & champagne
    3:30 ceremony 4:00 photos 4:30 wedding breakfast 7:00 evening guests 7:30 first dance then disco 8:15 cake cutting 8:30 evening buffet 12:00 end of discoIt was perfect as it wasn’t too rushed getting hair and makeup for everyone sorted and I got to have 2 wedding dresses!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics