Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner August 2024 Cumbria

Ceremony time/ change of wedding date

Ellen, 2 of May of 2023 at 12:38 Posted on Planning 0 4
Hi everyone,

Feeling a little bit stressed, I have provisionally booked my wedding on the 24th August next year which is the bank holiday weekend. The registrar can only offer 11:30am or 2:30pm for our ceremony that day which feels early and late! I’ve seen the timelines for both and don’t want to have people hanging about getting bored or feeling rushed.
The venue has the 7th September free and the registrar can do any time that day so I’m thinking 1pm, does anyone think this is a good move? This is taking place a couple of hours from our home and a lot of our families will need to travel around 5 hours so will stay the night before, we were thinking they could make a long weekend of it with the bank holiday but are we making things harder on our guests with kids if it’s 7th Sept instead? Not all kids are invited so they would need to leave them behind.
Not sure if I am overthinking this!

4 replies

Latest activity by Clare, 2 of May of 2023 at 19:55
  • C
    Savvy July 2023 Somerset
    Clare ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ellen,

Congrats on booking your date! I agree with you that's quite early or quite late! We live in Bath and one of the places we looked at was the Roman Baths, they offer sunrise (literally I think its like 6am!) and sunset which is around 7pm - so that they can still open them all day for the tourists LOL (it's council owned) so it could be worse LOL. We didn't book there for that reason. I've never done this before but for me 1pm sounds a lot better. So long as you don't mind having your wedding not on the bank holiday weekend. Just a thought what about the Sunday 25th August next year? We are having our ceremony in the most amazing church at 12.30pm, and for us, (our reception venue is pretty close) that makes sense for the timings for the rest of the day. xx hope helpful xx

• Abbie
    Curious August 2023 Warwickshire
    Abbie ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married on the bank holiday Saturday this year! We originally had our church ceremony set for 12:00, but have decided to push it back an hour, because it made the morning EARLY, and we have a lot of guests travelling to the wedding.
    If you opt for the earlier time, you may wish to have canapes or some food after your ceremony, because people won't eat lunch before they come. With your 2:30 start time, you could get away with a shorter cocktail hour and no canapes / nibbles.

To throw a curveball, I was listening to The Unfiltered Bride podcast on the way in to work this morning, and in one episode they were talking about this kind of issue, and gave the options of marrying 'officially' a few days before or after at the court house, then having a celebrant led wedding. Or even having the celebrant led wedding, then having the registrar (as 2:30 in your case) pop along after the celebrant-led ceremony which all your guests witness and you could pop into a room while cocktail hour is happening with whoever your witnesses are and 'sign the paperwork' to make it official; which should only take 20-30 mins including the two pre-interviews. I would recommend having a quick listen to see what you think, but the summary from what I took was the celebrant is actually chosen by you (unlike registrar), you can tailor the ceremony a lot more and make it a lot more personal to you as a couple. Con is that it is likely to be a little more costly (paying for 2 services instead of one), but the registrar would be cheaper if done at the court house.

Hope you get it sorted!

• E
    Beginner August 2024 Cumbria
    Ellen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for this! I’ve just checked and we can do it all on the 25th instead at 1pm 😊 think that makes it better as people can travel up on the Saturday morning and enjoy the day, wedding on the Sunday and then go home on the Monday if they want! Seems obvious in retrospect haha
  • C
    Savvy July 2023 Somerset
    Clare ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yay!! Well that's great to hear! Yeah it's not a school night is it?! Everyones always in an awesome mood every bank holiday especially the August one as its normally good weather too! Amazing, so glad it worked out for you!! We've had a few things like that for ours, totally stumped then things just sort themselves out xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics