Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner August 2016

Ceremony Time Dilema

ItHadToBeP, 24 of January of 2016 at 09:28 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi all, this is my first post and just looking for opinions as have found loads of useful info from your forum already! We got engaged at Christmas and have been lucky enough to find a venue we like with a Saturday free in August (I need school summer holidays) Just heard back from registrar and they can only do 12pm or 3pm and I can't decide! 12 seems too early and 3 too late. We're having the whole do at a hotel with sit down meal and buffet in evening. I'm thinking that 12 will mean a rush getting ready and lots of hanging around in the afternoon but 3 might be all a bit rushed? Any experience or thoughts?

14 replies

Latest activity by jadeee, 25 of January of 2016 at 10:56
  • L
    Beginner August 2016
    LauraLtobe ·
    • Hide content

We had the same issue, only more pronounced. The registrar could do 11.30 or 4.30, neither of which are ideal. We chose the 11.30 because we wanted to spend most of our wedding day together and not apart! However, 11.30 is now feeling quite early. I have 4 bridesmaids to get ready as well as myself and have to have my bus pick us up at 10.45, which seems very early! On the other hand, I doubt I'd sleep in and I'm quite happy to get up early as the bride. My SIL got married in a hotel at 12 last year and, as a guest, there was plenty of time to get ready and we didn't have to drive anywhere as we'd stayed the night before. Maybe consider how many bridesmaids you're going to have and how long it will take you/them to get ready and then how much you want to spend the day with your OH. I think either time would work fine.

• P
    Beginner October 2016
    Pink Sparkle ·
    • Hide content

Hi We initially had the same decision to make with timings 12 or 3. In the end our registrar found availability for 1pm so that what we went for. We were considering maybe getting lawn games outside to fill the gap but as we get married in October we didn't want to rely on the weather. Do you have outside space at venue? You could look into lawn games? In relation to an early wedding, if you are having a few bridesmaids then think about timings for getting ready and whether people will stay the night before. We asked our venue for their opinion and they gave us an outline for each time. Our co-ordinator did say 3pm would be pushing it a bit but it depends on what you have planned for the day. Maybe ask your venue for advice?

• M
    Beginner June 2016
    Miss-KEM ·
    • Hide content

We booked our wedding 18 months in advance so had the option of 4 times, 10am, 12pm, 2pm or 4pm. We've gone for 12pm - i keep worrying that we won't have much time to get ready but i'm pleased we went with this option as it gives us longer to celebrate and i don't think i could wait round until 2pm.

• Bobbys_Girl
    Beginner October 2017
    Bobbys_Girl ·
    • Hide content

Have you spoken to the venue about which time is best? I would ring them and ask for some advice, tell them your concerns. We are looking at a 2pm but have to then coach guests over from the church which will take 20/30 minutes. The venue were fab and gave me an itenirary which helped. Helped me see how timings would work Smiley smile

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

If you want to have a sit down meal and buffet, go for 12noon. 3pm will mean your guests will be eating at gone 5pm, which doesn't allow very long between the meal and your evening guests arriving. You'll probably find that you don't have that much "dead" time if you have the ceremony at noon. I went to a 12noon ceremony last year, with the meal at 3pm, and we weren't waiting around for very long at all.

• S
    Beginner June 2016
    Steepdene ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married at 3.30pm at a hotel. But we're not having a sit down meal, we're having two hours to take photos and canapes/drinks (4pm till 6pm). From 6pm till 7pm we're doing speeches and cake cutting and then straight into our evening reception, where we'll be having a BBQ. I chose a time late in the day because I have pain and mobility issues, so I need longer to get ready. Hopefully having it later in the day will be easier on me!

• I
    Beginner August 2016
    ItHadToBeP ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all! Sounds like 12 is probably more practical - only have MOH and 3 flower girls to get ready so should be OK. I've called the venue but the wedding co-ordinator isn't in until Tuesday so have emailed her. There isn't enough outside space for lawn games (love that idea tho!) but it has a lovely bar area outside so if the sun shines I'm sure people wouldn't mind an extra hour or so.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding that was at 12 and it was such a long day with lots of waiting around. We were instructed to arrive an hour early (not sure why) so I had to be up and out by 10.00am to get to the venue. There was then an hour wait for the ceremony and about 2.5 hours wait for the wedding breakfast. I think that finished at about five pm and, again, we waited around for about 2.5 hours until anything happened in the evening. I think that if you have to pick 12pm then as long as you plan the day well and fill in the gaps then it should be fine. X

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I would say go for 12, so by 12.30 you will be outside with drinks chatting mingling and photos until 2.00, call everyone in for food and by the time all are seated and the food starts to be served it will easily be 2.30. Allowing 2.5 -3 max hours for speeches and your are now at 5.30 and your eve guests can come for 7pm with a first dance at 8 which gives you time with your eve guests first.

So those timings will give you a 1.5 hour breather time to relax and refresh and maybe some more mingling.And if your photographer is still there perhaps some lovely evening light shots too.

After all that planning why would you want to shorten the day by 3 hours

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

We get married at 12 pm and am hoping the timings will work out like bill said. Although we won't have speeches so will have more mingling time we will have lawn games hopefully it will be dry if not I'll put the games in the conservatory that we have at our venue.

• Neil Gratton Photography
    Beginner August 2015
    Neil Gratton Photography ·
    • Hide content

I got married in August last year and we had a 3pm ceremony; it made for a nice relaxed morning and the afternoon and evening didn't feel rushed at all. I don't think midday is too early either though - either time would absolutely be fine. Do you and your H2B tend to be more morning or evening people? Maybe that's a good way to decide!

• C
    Beginner November 2016
    cantwaittobemrsb ·
    • Hide content

Ooo dilemma. I wanted a 1pm time and because we're not getting married until November I thought it would be okay to wait to book our registrar and only rang them 2 weeks ago. They had a few bookings already and said 12pm was taken and so they could do 1.30pm.. am glad I didn't leave it any later to book now. But if I was given 12 or 3 I think I would go with 12, only as it will get dark earlier that time of year for me and I don't really fancy having the wedding breakfast when its dark out. But in August it wouldn't really matter. It depends on when you plan on evening guests arriving and when the buffet will come out, as if day guests eat late they may not want much of the evening food (but saves money I guess!) x

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married at 12 and if anything our day is still going to be slightly rushed.

In terms of the morning: I know it's going to be a bit of an early morning but hopefully not too rushed. I have 4 bridesmaids so am having 2 hairdressers and we are all doing our own makeup so things can be happening at the same time instead of everyone waiting for their turn.

And in terms of waiting around in the afternoon: We are different from most in that there is unfortunately an hours journey between the church and reception venue, but as well as that we are having lawn games and canapés during photo time which will fill some time. We are sitting down to eat around 5:30.

Hope that helps Smiley smile

• Miss-b
    Beginner August 2016
    Miss-b ·
    • Hide content

We had a similar problem also! We provisionally booked our venue for the 14th August but could only get a registrar at either 10.30 (which is WAY to early!!) or 3.30 (and I felt this was too late, esp for the amount of money we are paying! I wanted a decent afternoon)

We were lucky enough that the venue could move our booking forward a week to the 7th August which meant I could get a registrar at 2.30 which is only an hour on from our ideal time!

I have to say if I was in your position I would take the 12pm appointment, as you should still have just enough time in the morning to get ready, and gives you a decent amount of time in the afternoon.

• jadeee
    Beginner June 2016
    jadeee ·
    • Hide content

We also had the choice of 12 or 3, we've gone for 12! We thought 3 would be too rushed, we were bothered 12 would be too early but we went to a wedding last year and they got married at 12 and it wasn't a dragged out day, we had half hour where all the day guests relaxed in the bar while the room switched around and the evening guests arrived Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics