Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jemima Renrut
Beginner October 2013

Chair covers... buy or hire?

Jemima Renrut, 16 of December of 2012 at 19:33 Posted on Planning 0 10

What would/did you do? We originally wasn't having chair covers, with them only being used during dinner we couldn't justify spending loads on 2 hours. However, since attending my cousins wedding OH is more involved in giving his opinion, which is great, but increasing the budget. And he wants chair covers. So after some eBay scouting I've noticed they can also be bought. So wondered peoples opinions on this. Thanks in advance!

10 replies

Latest activity by *gnashers*, 23 of December of 2012 at 20:42
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

What do your venue chairs look like? And what does the venue decor look like? In my cabbage, chair covers aren't always necessary and don't always look appropriate. Do you think you need or want them? Let's be fair - you *probably* have a better eye for this than your Boy does.

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

Our venue is an old farm that's now a hotel. It's still very farmy. The chairs are plain black. I agree with him that they would look better with chair covers, but its not the end of the world not to have them, as the chairs will not be used in our reception room. I should have put I've seen some second hand ones on eBay, so was wondering if anyone else had ever bought theirs instead of hiring. I'm still at £3 a chair hire is a bit of a waste for 2 hours.

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

Hunt around for the best deal we are having chair covers with double sash for £1.90ea. I like them, personally. To buy them and resell them youd probably only get back half your money and it could have gone to hire them, with someone dressing and undressing

• S
    Beginner September 2013
    Snc12 ·
    • Hide content

I have hired ours through eBay for £1.75 each, including the sash. If you shop around, they are very cheap (location dependant) I have even seen some online for 99p each, but they had a minimum order or 40 covers, whic is 10 more than we are having at our reception.

why would you only be having the covers for 2 hours?

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

If you have decided that you want them then shop around and weigh up the pros and cons.

Our supplier came and fitted the covers at the venue and collected them the next day. My SIL bought covers for my nieces 21st and after helping to iron, fit, remove, wash and re-iron 120 covers, I know hiring was the best option for us.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Don't underestimate how long it will take to put them on and to tie the bows so they look good.

Do you have access to the room the day before?

Can you flash the chairs? If they're black I'm not sure I'd bother covering them!

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

I have no pictures but they are literally just black round top chairs, in good condition, and they way our room is you would only see the tops of them really. I tried tying just a sash tol then but it didn't look right. We would only be having them for the dinner and speeches as our reception room is the barn with long benches. I never thought about how long it would take to do them, although as long as the venue have no Thursday wedding which they currently don't we can go do the room anytime the day before. He'd talked me into it last night... Now I've slept on it I'm not so sure. I'm a bit fed up with sorting stuff at the min, just can't wait to actually get married.

• artisanwedding.co.uk
    artisanwedding.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a couple of weddings recently, where the chair covers have been acquired cheaply, via eBay, only to find that they don't fit the chairs properly.

Imho, it's worth getting a company in, because they will have the right shapes and sashes etc for your chairs.

Plus of course, it's another job you'll have to do on he wedding day! It's a lot of work ironing and fitting those covers and sashes...

Pete

• artisanwedding.co.uk
    artisanwedding.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a couple of weddings recently, where the chair covers have been acquired cheaply, via eBay, only to find that they don't fit the chairs properly.

Imho, it's worth getting a company in, because they will have the right shapes and sashes etc for your chairs.

Plus of course, it's another job you'll have to do on he wedding day! It's a lot of work ironing and fitting those covers and sashes...

Pete

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

I'm hiring ours, our hotel will charge us 50p a chair to put them on too.

Also our venue have warned us against us a company called White Wedding covers, gave us several examples that they've had with previous brides that sounded like a nightmare, then also said that they trade under other names so when I'd found a different company online that seemed good, I checked their company details, and sure enough they have the same office address as the white wedding chair cover company. So just watch out for them.

Go with a reputable company, you may have to pay slightly more than the cheapest prices you find online (eg £3.50 per chair) but it'd probably be worth it.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

If you REALLY don't need chair covers, I wouldn't bother.

Our chairs at our venue are horrible but I don't like chair covers, so I am hiring in chairs instead. It's not saved me money but I would rather spend money on something I like, than something I don't.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics