Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2015

chair covers or no chair covers?

lauren_t, 13 of August of 2014 at 13:36 Posted on Planning 0 22

Hi everyone,

I am pricing up chair cover & hessian bows at the minute and they are working out more than I thought they would!

What are peoples views on having chair covers? do you think you need them?

We are having a hotel wedding and the decor in the room in quite neutral (cant remember the chair colours though!!)

Thanks

22 replies

Latest activity by CrazyRatLady, 14 of August of 2014 at 15:22
  • Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content

I really wasn't a fan of chair covers, but our venue carpet is red and the chairs are blue so we decided to have them. There is a massive price difference though if you look around. Our venue wanted £4 per chair to do it themselves but the company we chose charges £2.50 ( I think! )

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

It's entirely up to you. I am of the opinion a chairs a chair, why do you need a cover, nobody will see it when you sit down, so we are not having them (I have not told the MIL yet as she has said "you have to have chair covers", ha she is in for a shock ?)

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

If the chairs are very dark or a clashing colours then personally, I think covers are essential. Others however don't and some really dislike covers, but it's what you think at the end of the day. If the chairs are nice enough and it's not something that's important to you then don't bother. Nothing is worth busting a budget for. You could just have the covers and not the ties, or go for organza sashes as they're often cheaper.

Some chairs are lovely in their own right - Chivari chairs are gorgeous, but they're not the norm at most venues sadly, but you could ask if your venue does them.

• M
    Beginner June 2016
    MrsL242be ·
    • Hide content

Personally I like chair covers and I have found a couple of companies locally one charges £2 per chair including sash of my colour and the other is £2.50 including sash, so i guess nearer the time it will be a case of speaking to both and deciding. It is an extra expense i wasn't anticipating most venue's around us include them in packages but typical the one we have picked doesn't. However, my OH auntie has kindly offered to buy our cake for our wedding present so all worked out in the end haha!

• BAMS
    Beginner November 2014
    BAMS ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a fan of chair covers so won't be having them, but I can understand why some people decide they do want to use them. I would try and have a look at your venues chairs and see whether they repulse you or not!!

• alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk
    Rockstar November 2014
    alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

We're having chiavari chairs and I would have loved the ruffley covers but they were too expensive! :-(

i was going to just have sashes but we went to a wedding and after a bit they'd all fell down or come undone so decided not to bother spending the money. I might wrap some ivy around the tops x

• Shelly70
    Beginner July 2016
    Shelly70 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I'm not having chair covers. However, the chairs at our venue are shockingly awful (old plastic school type chairs). Instead I opted to hire in white chairs with seat pads that match my colour scheme for our wedding.

I do like chair covers but I agree that they are not to everyone's taste.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

So lucky I managed to get mine for 1.50! If your in the east midlands area or even close may I suggest Charlotte at princess occasions she's been a god send so far and so reasonable with pricing!

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

When we were first planning our wedding I was adamant a chair is a chair and people won't care. However we found a local company (who I'm now good friends with) who did chair covers for £1 each so I thought sod it. I must admit it did make the room look much nicer and I'm very glad we did it.

Not sure I'd pay £2.50 per chair though.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I feel passionate about them - I hate them. Just my own personal preference though. We have hired in chiavari chairs at the cost of €7 a chair, just so that we don't have to have chair covers (the venue's chairs are plastic).

I seem to remember Elixia used to refer to them as chair condoms. I said this in front of our wedding planner and my OH was mortified.

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

We're having them. I loath the Lycra ones though so we've gone for the tailored ones which were slightly more expensive but the chairs in our venue are very dark green and the chair covers just really brighten the room. It's a personal preference though - if you like the chairs then I wouldn't bother. I've seen photos of our venue with and without so I know I prefer with. Can you maybe see if you can find pics of the room dressed to see what you think?

• N
    Beginner May 2015
    nixy3 ·
    • Hide content

I think that we are going to have to use them, I need to go back to the venue to remember how bad the chairs are though!

I upset a really pushy wedding supplier at a wedding fair by referring to the lycra ones as spanx for chairs - hold everything in, cover everything, but don't look very attractive. This was after she smirked at our colour and theme and was pushing me to go with their new black covers!

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

I think chair covers give quite a formal feel. We aren't having them 1 because the chairs are lovely as they are & 2 i dont think chair covers would go with our venue. We are getting married in a barn x

• C
    Beginner
    cw2b ·
    • Hide content

We are having them as I think they can help pull a theme or colour together and 'add' to a room, especially if it's quite neutral. But like everything wedding related it's just personal preference, I personally wouldn't hire chairs but others do.

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weddingvirgin ·
    • Hide content

I had quite horrible chairs in my wedding venue but I'm also not a fan of chair covers. The chairs we had wouldn't have been very easy to add chair covers to anyway so I thought about hiring in nicer chairs. In the end I came to the decision it was a silly expense and didn't bother. I'm glad I didn't. With everyone sat down you barely noticed them! To be honest I was so excited about other things on the day that I barely noticed the chairs!

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ha ha before i saw this, i was about to reply, "no Chair condoms for me".

IMO, they are horrendous and for me they make every wedding look the same. there's a company near me that does the chaivari chairs for £3 a pop so i'd rather pay for that.

• L
    Beginner July 2015
    lauren_t ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your replies everyone.

Im going back to the venue next week so will check out the chairs again.

HappyIvoryHair137 I am in the midlands so going to check that company out incase we do decide to have them.

• H
    Beginner August 2015
    happybird77 ·
    • Hide content

We are looking at chair covers only because the hotel we are having the wedding in is quite bland so we need to brighten it up a bot.

i'm looking around for good deals and have also found covers for £2-£2.50 each, but am still looking

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tonievans ·
    • Hide content

The prcies are ridiculous! We are only having a night time reception and I was pricing up chair covers and its was always £3 or above, I did find some DIY lycra ones where you picked them up put them on and took them back £1 each but I felt like I was perving on a chair it was a bit bizarre.

Our venue is neutral but my colour scheme is all blush rose gold coral sparkley and the chairs in the venue are gold and red confrence chairs they are hideous, I stressed about it for maybe a day and then I thought, at the begining of the night people are going to be sat on them or they will be under the chairs and it will be fairly dark and later in the evening everyone will be drunk and not care! Ive spoke to a few people and they have all said not one wedding could they remember what the chairs looked like so Im just leaving it, rather spend the money on something else that actually matters!

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

For all decisions like this we have a measure to decide how much we want it - do we want this more than we want to provide more wine? If the answer is no we don't have it. If the answer is yes we have it because we know it must really matter to us if it's more important than wine!!! We are not having chair covers.

• BAMS
    Beginner November 2014
    BAMS ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We use this measure ourselves - working well so far!! At the rate we're going our guests won't remember if there were chairs let alone chair covers!!!!!

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Personal choice really. We are not having any. Our ceremony room has fixed large oak seats (council chamber) so covers weren't an option. Likewise Pizza Express for the breakfast would look a bit odd with formal chair covers. For the evening we are having the chairs at the sides of the room so won't be a focal point.

Having said that I did have chair covers at my first wedding, which was more formal and they really made the room look good, as the original chairs looked a bit like bus seats!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics