Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner August 2014

Chair Precidament - North Yorkshire

Hanstag89, 6 of January of 2014 at 21:33 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi all

I am holding a village hall DIY wedding in August this year and seem to be having massive difficulties with the chair situation

The chairs at our village hall are all mismatched and if they would be suitable for covering, I would do this, but unfortunately they arent ☹️

We have tried local village halls but most of them aren't willing to lend their chairs due to one reason or another. We also got one quote from a hire company which came to over a grand for 60 chairs which i find absolutely insane! We are being charged more for having less people and delivery...

So... basically i am completely stuck for ideas, can anyone help? Does anyone know of any reputable hire companies out there that wont rip us off?

For information we are getting married near Richmond in north yorkshire

Any ideas welcome!!! ?

Hannah

8 replies

Latest activity by weddingvirgin, 10 of January of 2014 at 12:13
  • C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Depending on what type of chairs you want;

If you would be happy with folding wooden or other basic chairs contact the area scout/guides office. They have all this sort of stuff for when they do the huge camps. If you know anyone involved with scouting/guiding then speak to them as they may have best chance of getting a 'yes'.

Also try church halls, leisure centres and schools.

If you want something 'posher' then you need to contact more hire companies - the ones near me (Notts) tend to cost between £2.50 and £4 each.

Good luck.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I hired 140 limewash Chivari chairs from Sherwood Marquees for about £500.

You could order the basic silver chairs from here for example - less than £200 for 60. https://www.blackcherryevents.co.uk/

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Was the company who quoted local? Very often it's the delivery charge that racks up the price, particularly as it incurs VAT too.

Wildchilds in Darlington, CWC Malings Ltd at Catterick, CandJ rentals in Richmond, Game Cart Catering Company at Forcett all do chair hire.

Good hunting!

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    beckyg85 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Hannah,

We are hoping to get married near Richmond in September and also need to hire chairs. We have been recommended Charlie Howe (C&J rentals) by a couple of people. They quoted us 3.85 per chair for lime washed chairs although think VAT is not included. Sounds a lot cheaper from what you have been quoted.

Can I ask, if you are local to the area can you recommend any nice places (registry office, hotel or other) for a small ceremony? We are hoping to hold our reception in Gilling West so would ideally like the ceremony to be 10-15 miles max from there?

Becky

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    Hanstag89 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think they were - that's probably where the issue lay! The delivery charge we had for one was circa £400!

Thank you for your suggestions, that is very helpful. We have been in touch with C&J rentals and are going to see them in the next week or so, so hopefully they will come up with something!

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    Hanstag89 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Becky

Yes we have just stumbled upon C&J also so are going to have a look up there when they can fit us in! I'm really hoping it works out but you never know with these things...

I know the Morritt Hotel is about 8 miles from Gilling West and they have a beautiful room for wedding ceremonies - I'm not sure if it's a case of having to rent the whole place for the whole day though so you might want to check the t&c's. There's also the Jersey Farm hotel and Headlam Hall in our vicinity but again not sure if they solely cater for ceremonies or you have to do the whole day package

There's so many gorgeous little churches around the area as well (although not really religious, that is what we are doing) so that's always a thought

Hannah

• P
    Beginner June 2014
    patching_l ·
    • Hide content

I was in the same predicament as yourself. The village hall we are using has chairs that are the fold up and stackable type. I couldn't find anyone to cover the chairs, until I booked my florist who also hires chair covers and I was so relieved to hear she could cover the chairs! I am based in Gloucester but if you would like any details to see if the lady would be of any help to you I am more than happy to give you the details.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

My parents had their wedding reception at the Morritt Arms Hotel in 1967 ! I didn't even know that I knew that until I read your post mentioning it!

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weddingvirgin ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I am basically in the exact same predicament! Our chairs in the village hall are not very nice and would not lend themselves very well to covering (not that I like chair covers all that much anyway!)

I've found two companies, both seem cheaper than what you were quoted.

http://www.harthillhospitality.com/index.html based in Aberdeenshire so maybe not that useful for you

http://www.johnbrowncaterhire.co.uk based in Glasgow but looks like they do deliveries to the north of England

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics