Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner December 2020

Changed my mind about my wedding dress

ExpensiveBlueHair44854, 6 of July of 2020 at 21:24 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi,

Could I have some advice please?

I put a 50% deposit (£800) down on a wedding dress 5 days ago mostly due to feeling pressure. I do really like the dress but it just isn’t me and I feel like it makes me look large. My mum loved it though and thats part of the reason I decided to go for it.

I’ve contacted the shop (local boutique) and the lady advised me that my dress has already gone into production and that, that is my dress now. I completely understand what she’s saying but I would have just expected to lose my 50% deposit and not have to actually have the dress especially as how much work can someone have done in 5 days including a weekend. Basically I have to pay the dress in full.

i know this is my fault and I only have myself to blame in this situation. I was evening willing to just lose the deposit and see it as a lesson learnt but I’m gutted I’ll have to wait another 6 a months and pay for something I don’t like and won’t be wearing.

im going in tomorrow to try the dress on again but the women explained there were no options. I didn’t have any terms and conditions. I did fill in a form though with my name and address when ordering.

I respect that if work went into the dress or the dress was made, paying for it in full but 5 days seems such a little time.

Does anyone one have any advice? Or has this happened to anyone before

7 replies

Latest activity by Catherineann, 23 of July of 2020 at 20:00
  • HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds suspect to me. Do you have any paperwork at all? I would strongly advise you to call your local Trading Standards office - part of your local council.

There is absolutely no way work would have started on your dress given the timeframe you describe. More like a desperate shop clutching at straws and trying to pressure you into full payment.

Hope this helps

Ali

• E
    Beginner December 2020
    ExpensiveBlueHair44854 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for your reply! Really appreciate it. My wedding is in mid December so potentially they could have started but not that much could have been done. I only purchased it last Monday 29th June. I’ll let you know how I get on as I’m just about to go the shop (bit nervous) but I’ll ask to see the contract etc

thanks again xx

• E
    Beginner December 2020
    ExpensiveBlueHair44854 ·
    • Hide content

Also she said she wouldn’t ring me in October to arrange first fitting so it’s a few months away till xx

• HappyPinkHair15172
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

You should have a copy of any contract and anything else you have signed. A reputable establishment would not want any negative publicity - I would definitely take someone sensible (and perhaps older!) with you so that they know you mean business. I would also point out that these type of sales have a 14 day "cooling off" period, again check with your local Trading Standards.

If you really don't love your dress, they should be happy to transfer your deposit to another gown - better to save a sale at full price by being accommodating than only get a deposit and bad press, I would have thought.

Stay strong, stick to your guns and don't be intimidated by the sales staff. They are only there to make a sale, after all, you're not going to be best friends with them for the rest of your life!

Let us know how you get on. Sending you lots of love and positive vibes!

xx

• E
    Beginner December 2020
    ExpensiveBlueHair44854 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for messaging earlier. I went in strong and reading your message just before helped me loads. They let me chose another dress and transfer the deposit over! After trying on a number of others I found one I really love and I’m so relieved and happy! I’m just glad I stuck to my guns that the first dress wasn’t for me even after trying it on again! We are both happy now! Thanks for helping xx

• HappyPinkHair15172
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

You’re very welcome, chick!

Glad I could help!

• K
    East London
    Karolina ·
    • Hide content

By the way, these wedding dresses are so lovely, I've just come across this fabulous brand!

Wedding dresses

Bridesmaids dresses

• C
    Beginner September 2022 West Sussex
    Catherineann ·
    • Hide content

When are you due to get married ? I can't believe for 1 second that you placed the order 5 days ago and it's in production already....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics