Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Estina
Savvy October 2024 Gloucestershire

Changed our Minds - Are we being Mean

Estina, 9 of October of 2022 at 21:50 Posted on Planning 0 4
In August we booked our venue which we love, however I was really nervous that everything would get booked up so I made contact with the church the venue recommends. The church is nice but really small, but I still felt under pressure and I tried to convince myself it would be fine.
My MOH and I met the vicar and thought he was lovely. Really got on with him. I was convinced this was the church.
A month later I took my fiance and he wasn't feeling it. He didn't like it at all. He's a very particular guy lolHowever this was the weekend when HRH the Queen passed so the vicar was unavailable so he was unable to meet the vicar so we have had to wait to sort things out.Due to my fiancé's expression of not feeling the church I researched others within the area and found one I liked the look of. We went to visit the church today and we fell in love with it. Everything about the church just suits us plus its bigger.Once we were done there we went back to the other church to speak to the vicar and he seemed so excited. He spoke with us about the application and when things could happen and what we can do. We now feel bad for not telling him we wanted to go with another church. Are we out of order for wanting a different church even though we really like the vicar.I feel awful

4 replies

Latest activity by Estina, 10 of October of 2022 at 11:35
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

The vicar of the original church may be disappointed, but I am sure he will understand and want you to be married in the church that you feel most comfortable in.

Have you met the vicar from the new church though? If you haven't, I would suggest doing so before you make any firm decision. It seems that it was the personality of the first vicar that really made you decide on using that church, so you don't want to swap to the new one before meeting that vicar, just in case you don't get on with him when you do meet him! The venue may be more important to you than the person officiating, but for me, it would be more important to get married by someone I felt comfortable with in a building I didn't like as much than the other way round!

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

It is your day so your choice. I agree with RGS, make sure you are truly happy with the other church and I wouldnt say anything to the first one untill you have booked in the new one. It is hard when you have met someone and then have to say no, but it is your day, and you need to be comfortable. Keep it simple, you don't have to say you have found another church, send it in email, and just explain that having looked at your options you now want to go another route for your ceremony so won't be proceeding with booking, and thank them for their time. that is all that is needed,

• L
    Dedicated September 2023 Derbyshire
    Lizzie ·
    • Hide content

Not a church, but I had similar feelings when we went to look at our venues. One was really lovely but unfortunately didn't have accommodation on site, which was really important to us. Also some access issues - nothing insurmountable, but when we went to the second venue (which we eventually picked) there were none of those issues.
    I felt bad, but just sent a quick email to the first venue saying 'thank you, but we've decided to go with another venue on this occasion', and thanking the staff (who were really lovely).

• Estina
    Savvy October 2024 Gloucestershire
    Estina ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hiya,
    I'm fully with you, we will be meeting the vicar because 100% we need to be able to get on with him.
    To be fair this is my fault because I was so scared that things would get booked up and I kinda rushed because I got caught up in the whole process.I have just emailed them to set this up. I'm just going to keep everything in place until I have to make a choice but I agree with you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics