Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lorraine
Beginner March 2025 Lothian & Borders

Changing locations on the day

Lorraine, 24 of June of 2024 at 13:43 Posted on Planning 0 6
Hi there, I’m looking for some advice. My fiancé and I are looking to get married in his home town which is over an hour away from where we live. Ideally he finds it important to get married in his church from his home town. I was hoping to have the wedding breakfast in a restaurant which was a 14 minute walk away. Then he suggested a venue (15 minutes walk from the restaurant).

Are we being crazy to have to go to so many places?

6 replies

Latest activity by Adam, yesterday at 14:23
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

That does seem like a lot of travelling for your guests. If they are all from your home town, then I guess you could get away with having the ceremony over an hour away, because they will be travelling back to their home area for the reception. But if your guests are more scattered, and especially if they are going to have to stay overnight, then it's going to be more of an issue.

Supposing a guest is driving 2 hours to get to your wedding, and they need overnight accommodation. That is likely to be near your reception venue, but they are going to have to check in before they end of the wedding. So they drive two hours to their accommodation, check in, then drive another hour plus to the ceremony, and then drive an hour plus back to reception.

Can you get a reception venue that is midway between your OH hometown and your current home?

• Lorraine
    Beginner March 2025 Lothian & Borders
    Lorraine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi there, thanks so much for your message. The all 3 places are less than 15 minutes walk from each other in my partners home town (church, restaurant and potential reception venue). We are not expecting people to travel back between our home towns. Most of the guests are from his side as he has a large family. I was more asking about having to take two 15 minute walks/3 minute drives. It might make things more difficult in terms of logistics.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

The biggest issue will be if anyone is planning on arriving by public transport and doesn't feel up to two 15-minute walks - especially as smart wedding shoes are often not the most comfortable for walking! Also, it may cause problems for guests deciding where to leave their cars, especially if they are likely to be drinking enough at the wedding breakfast to prevent them driving on to the evening venue. (Is the evening venue somewhere where guests would be able to stay over, or will they need to go elsewhere for accommodation?) Is there no way you can use one venue for both the wedding breakfast and the later celebration?

If there is no other option, then you could make it work, but I would spend some time tracking down suitable parking locations and be very clear about the different locations involved so that guests can work out where it is best for them to leave their car and how to travel between the various locations.

• J
    Beginner March 2023 Texas
    Jack ·
    • Hide content

That is like a lovely plan. Mixing personal touches with convenience of bat Squishmallow seems like a great idea. Enjoy the wedding planning.

• L
    Beginner February 2019 Co Down
    Lilly ·
    • Hide content

If you need to change locations on the same day, planning and organization are crucial. First, ensure all your logistics are in order: confirm your transportation arrangements, whether by car, public transport, or a ride-sharing service, and check traffic or transit schedules to avoid delays. Pack and prepare everything you need for the day in honista old version advance, so you aren't scrambling at the last minute. Communicate your schedule with relevant parties, such as coworkers or family members, so they are aware of your movements and can accommodate any changes. Finally, build in buffer time for unforeseen delays, ensuring you arrive at your new location with minimal stress.

• A
    Beginner December 2026 East Sussex
    Adam ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement! Planning a wedding is such an exciting time, but I understand how it can also be a bit overwhelming, especially when you’re trying to honor your fiancé’s wishes while also making everything convenient and beautiful.

Getting married in his hometown church sounds incredibly special and meaningful. I can see why he would want to tie the knot in a place that holds such significance for him. Plus, having your wedding breakfast at a restaurant that's just a short walk away sounds like a lovely idea. It keeps things intimate and allows your guests to enjoy the local charm.

Then, there's the venue he suggested, which is also just a brief walk from the restaurant. It sounds like you're both finding ways to make the day flow smoothly and keep everyone together, which is so important.

Now, I know weddings can be expensive, and it's completely normal to worry about costs, especially when you’re considering multiple locations. From my research on " How Can I Pay for a Wedding with No Money " from GetGovtGrants, there are some creative ways to make this work without breaking the bank.

Firstly, consider looking into local grants or community programs that might help with wedding costs. Sometimes, there are surprising resources available that can provide financial assistance or even services like catering or venue rentals at a reduced rate.

Another option could be to reach out to friends and family. Often, people are more than willing to help with different aspects of the wedding, whether it’s offering their skills in photography, baking, or even helping out with decorations. It makes the day feel even more special and personal.

Also, don’t underestimate the power of DIY. From invitations to decorations, there are many ways to add a personal touch without spending a fortune. Websites like Pinterest can be a great source of inspiration for cost-effective wedding ideas.

And remember, the most important part of your wedding day is the celebration of your love and commitment to each other. Everything else is just a bonus. Focus on what truly matters to both of you and what will make you happiest on your special day.

I hope this helps, and I wish you both a beautiful and memorable wedding day!

Warm regards.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics