Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner August 2013

Changing my best man

electrogear, 4 December, 2012 at 21:18 Posted on Planning 0 1

3 months ago I asked my best friend since high school to be my best man. We have been on nights out on a weekly basis for years and always got on. I knew he could be a bit of an idiot when he's drunk but I thought he could handle the task.

Last weekend we were out and to cut a long story short he got caught up in something he didn't need to, and the red mist descended. He wouldn't listen to reason and was throwing people about, he even threw punches at an old man, knocked a disabled man to the ground, then shouted expletives at his wife when she came to his defence. All the time I was trying to stop him getting beaten up by several people and took a few knocks myself. When the police turned up and I managed to drag him away I got him in a taxi but he went off on one again and jumped out of the taxi, later leaving me an abusive voicemail and text. The next day I got a half apology from him in the form of a text and he tried to ring but I didn't want to speak to him.

Now I feel like I'm in the most awkward situation ever. If he wasn't my best man I would probably just not speak to him again, and move on. But I can't. He's organising my stag, but I don't want to risk of him kicking off and ruining my wedding like he did the other night. I've realised that once he's had a couple of drinks he's an idiot. The other thing - if I remove him from the wedding, there's a couple of other friends might follow because they're best friends with both of us and won't want to get involved.

I'm thinking about ringing him just to let him know, see if I can make it amicable, and ask my brother to be my best man.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

1 replies

Latest activity by bluehouse, 20 December, 2012 at 06:53
  • Thewebb46
    Beginner July 2014
    Thewebb46 ·
    • Hide content

Blimey.... thats one hell of a predicament to be in. I've got two thoughts that spring to mind straight away..... either you leave it be in the hope that because its your wedding and him being your best mate he wont want to ruin the day for you, or you need to have a word.

Its a difficult situation as i can see these people are all linked. Maybe talk to the other guys tell them whats happened and try and gauge from their response how they might react to you changing your best man. How about bringing your brother on board let your bestman do the stag do as its nearly all planned anyway then get your brother to do the important bit on the day. That way your bestman wont ruin your big day and you stand alot less chance of upsetting everybody by a big change.

Ultimately its your big day and you dont want anything or anyone to ruin it and if you think there is a real chance he might and he wont buy into the idea of two bestmen or what ever you decide then you might have to give him the chop.

• B
    bluehouse ·
    • Hide content

Hi, it's really much said to read this that you get hurt by your best-man. You suppose that he could give you lots of happiness in life but according to your post I think that he is not your best-man.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics