Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Changing my name on passport for honeymoon

30 June, 2010 at 18:02 Posted on Planning 0 11

I know a lot of you ladies have changed your name on your passport so you can fly as Mr & Mrs XXX.

We are about to book our honeymoon but need to work out what name I want to book it in!

How far in advance can you apply for the new passport and how much does it cost?

TIA

11 replies

Latest activity by Suzie&Karl, 1 July, 2010 at 07:32
  • HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Hi Claire. I don't know how far in advance you can do it, but I know that you have to pay the same as you would to have a brand new passport, so it's around £80. I have only just renewed my passport, so I didn't bother changing my name.

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

The Registrar or Minister can sign the form up to 3 months before the wedding but it does mean that you can't travel till you're married.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I think £80 for a change of name is outrageous so I'm not changing it but I worry everytime hubby books flights that he forgets I'm still in my maiden name. So far he hasn't forgot.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My thoughts exactly. £80 can buy a fair few cocktails! I think it should be free as you are only updating the information, the same as your driving license.

• AutumnRose
    Beginner
    AutumnRose ·
    • Hide content

Yep it's normal price of a new passport to get one in married name. I only did mine as mine runs out in a month of so so i couldn't have gone on HM with my old one. You can get it done up to 3 months in advance but you can't travel once you send in application as you have to send them your old one and new one isn't valid until the wedding day.

• fiona1984
    Beginner July 2013
    fiona1984 ·
    • Hide content

I agree too, it is very expensive just to change your name. I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't that my old passport was due to expire at Christmas. It will be nice to travel in my new name though

Fi

xx

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I think Im going to wait until after the honeymoon when eveything has calmed down before I change official documents.

Also, i might try telling the peson on checkin "we should have the same name as we have just got married!! *wink wink, nudge nudge* wanna give us an upgrade!!"

?

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

my passorts was up for renewel no in july so I renewed it in my maiden name. thats the name the honeymoons booked in also!

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

DO IT!!! ? it's much nicer travelling as Mr and Mrs. And TBH, the amount of money you pay on some things wedding related, the passport fee is nothing ?

You can only apply 3 months in advance. What you need to consider is where you're going on holiday and if you require a visa. If the country operates a visa on arrival system (fill in the form on the plane and hand it in to customs with or without a fee) you'll be fine, If you're going somewhere which requires a visa in advance (sending passport off to the embassy) then you need to check whether they will accept a post-dated passport. Although you can apply 3 months in advance, the passport will come back post-dated to your wedidng date which means that from the time you send off your passport to your wediding day, you can't fly.

It's a lovely feeling heading off as Mr and Mrs. It was something that D felt strongly about so I did mine and he booked my flights in my married name ?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Yep my H2B is keen on me changing it to my married name too.

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

I wil be changing mine too. I am very excited about it!

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics