Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynseys Designs
Beginner

Changing name on driving license

Lynseys Designs, 20 June, 2009 at 19:35 Posted on Planning 0 3

Am I correct that in order to do this I need to send my original marriage certificate along with all parts of my driving license to the dvla in the post along with a D1 form?

I just don't feel comfortable sending such an important document through the mail (even using Special Delivery).

3 replies

Latest activity by Lynseys Designs, 21 June, 2009 at 10:41
  • Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

You'll have to do it for other things too!

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

I've only just changed my driving licence LAST WEEK for this very reason!!

Yep you do need to send the original - they won't even accept a certified copy by a solicitor.

I sent mine by special delivery and also included a pre-paid special delivery envelope (from the PO) for them to send it back to me. One other thing to bear is mind is check when your photo runs out as I hadn't realised that you have to change your photo every 10 years or you get a fine and mine was due to run out in about 6 months so I updated the photo at the same time for something like £17.50.

If you update your passport first you can then quote your passport number for the DVLA to verify your change of name and therefore you don't need to send the original to DVLA. I still have a while left of my passport so not planning on changing it yet as I think its still ok to fly in your maiden name as long as the name on the ticket matches.

• cheska
    Beginner May 2009
    cheska ·
    • Hide content

I didn't realise changing my name would be such a hassle. i have all the forms, uncompleted, need to go and pics taken then start sending them all off. I am holding off doing my passport as we have no plans for more hols at the moment.

I did get very excited when I got my new bank card yesterday - only had to go to the bank for that one.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls. Cheska I got my bank card the other day as well and changing that was easy peasy and done within 30 secs hence the reason I was surprised the dvla wanted the original document.

I'm not changing my password as I only renewed that in 2007 and refuse to pay another £80ish just for a name change!

Grrrr but needs must I guess and Lisa that is a fab idea to use a prepaid SD envelope. xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics