Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Flowmojo
Beginner

Changing name on passport before getting married.

Flowmojo, 6 January, 2012 at 09:34 Posted on Planning 0 18

How far in dvance can this be done? I know theres 2 forms that need to be filled out but not sure of the time limits on it all?

18 replies

Latest activity by SecretSquirrel123, 7 January, 2012 at 11:39
  • L
    Beginner January 2012
    la1510 ·
    • Hide content

I may be wrong but I think the earliest is 3 months before the wedding (sure I read it in a magazine somewhere)

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I thought it was 3 months.... ?

*still has not done hers... refuses to pay £80 with 8 years still left!!! ?

• Jonesey
    Beginner June 2012
    Jonesey ·
    • Hide content

I looked into it the other day and it's 3 months before the wedding date but I may be having a hen do abroad (it's all hush hush with my BM's) so I need to wait until after that before I apply for one in my new married name.

• MrsBtobe1980
    Beginner September 2012
    MrsBtobe1980 ·
    • Hide content

Just checked for myself, hope this helps

Introduction
    If you are a woman and you are changing your name when you get married, your passport is the one document you can get changed for up to three months before you get married, to show your married name. However, your new passport will only be valid from the date of your wedding since it will be post dated. Please note, if the country you are visiting requires a visa, check with your travel agent (or the country's embassy) to ensure that a visa can be stamped in a post dated passport. If this is not possible, you will need to travel using your passport in your maiden name.

i will be sending mine off as we are not booking our honeymoon til after the wedding so want to go away with same name as hubby

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content

Yep, three months before. I'm in the process of doing mine now. I'd suggest doing it as soon as you can after this, as you have to send a form off to your registrar for them to fill out and send back to you - I don't want to leave it too long and then panic if/when they don't send it back straight away!

• SecretSquirrel123
    Beginner August 2012
    SecretSquirrel123 ·
    • Hide content

I've got to do this because I am going on Honeymoon in my married name - I was told I could do it 3 months before. All the info and forms are here: https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

Just a suggestion but I've booked my honeymoon in my maiden name so that I can still use my current passport in my maiden name!

We leave for HM 2 days after the wedding and I still have 3 years on my passport so really didnt want to have to pay out £80 for a new one I don't need yet at such an expensive time!

Doubt we'll be going abroad anytime soon again after HM so will replace when the 3 years have elapsed!

• MrsCase2013
    Beginner July 2013
    MrsCase2013 ·
    • Hide content

Oh no... Are you joking? you have to pay £80? I've only had mine a year! :'(What a waste.... Can you not travel on your maiden name if you book it under that or is that illegal?

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

As far as I'm aware (and told by my travel agent) as long as you book your honeymoon in your maiden name you can travel with your passport in your maiden name.

It's not illegal to travel in your maiden name but everything just has to match so all documents need to be in the same name!

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. You can travel in either maiden or married name - as long as your travel documents and passport match, it's fine. It's not a legal requirement to change your passport after your wedding.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

Yep it's 3 months. You need to get the priest or officiant to compete part as well. I've just ordered my forms

• MrsCase2013
    Beginner July 2013
    MrsCase2013 ·
    • Hide content

Phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

• Perfection Weddings
    Beginner March 2012
    Perfection Weddings ·
    • Hide content

I booked my honeymoon in my maiden name and am taking my partners names i am flying out 3 weeks after the wedding what do i do?

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My suggestion would be to not change your passport and leave it in your maiden name (providing you have an existing passport in your maiden name!) This is what I am doing and I'm taking my marriage certificate just in case I need it but been told I don't!

• Perfection Weddings
    Beginner March 2012
    Perfection Weddings ·
    • Hide content

I need a new passport anyway though so i cant really leave it in my maiden name will the travel agent be able to change the name on the booking?

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah ok, yes would make more sense to get your new passport in your married name! Contact your travel agent I'm sure they can sort it out for you hopefully!

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

This thread has been extremely helpful!!! Thanks to you all Smiley smile

My passport expires this coming May.....My wedding is next May and I don't plan on going abroad until my honeymoon...So I may as well wait! Get one with my new name on it!!!!! Smiley laugh

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You should be able to the travel agent may charge you though.

Mine expires in Feb so have booked my honeymoon in my married name and will order the new passport in March

• SecretSquirrel123
    Beginner August 2012
    SecretSquirrel123 ·
    • Hide content

I'm the same LMR, apparently we need to have 6 months left on our passports from the date we return from Honeymoon, but mine will only have a month so I've got to change it beforehand.

All my honeymoon documents arrived in the post today in my married name... eeek! I had to look at the envelope twice before I realised Smiley laugh xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics