Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
Beginner January 2012

Changing title on passport

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 13 March, 2013 at 17:29 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 17

Do any of our resident medics or PhDs have "doctor" on their passport? I am getting a new one and want to change my title (note: no thoughts about changing my surname!). The online website says you need to provide proof (which I imagine is your graduation cert) but the form I have says nothing about sending proof.

17 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 17 March, 2013 at 19:50
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Ha! This is the only reason I'm doing it. Saw the tip on Moneysavingexpert a few weeks ago!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My thought process:

Ooh you don't need proof and you get free upgrades, great! I'll do that when I change my name, just put Dr on the form... who would know?

Free champagne on a flight, great seats... sudden life or death medical emergency... they think I am a Dr... they call on me... I have no idea what I'm doing...

Someone dies.

Better not.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Smiley smile

I'd be as little use as you in a life or death situation! I always have it prepared in my head to say 'Nobody asked if I was a medical doctor' but that will just wind them up in their time of need!

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

When my best friend's doctorate came through and she changed her bank details she found her line of credit improved massively and they gave her a better rate on her loan and all sorts!

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

FTLOMB - do you have two names? A married name and a professional name?? I won't be graduating from my PhD til next year by which I'd be married but I'd really like to be a Dr in my maiden name as I'm the last one in the family. Can you shed any light at all?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I thought passports did not contain titles. Mine does not say Miss/Mrs/Ms.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, I kept my maiden name for everything. A friend of mine uses Dr Married Name, where her PhD was awarded in her maiden name (before she married), and it hasn't caused any practical problems. Whether it's technically correct is another matter.

Saisi, you can add formal titles to passports. As you say, by default, a passport doesn't contain any title, not even Mr/Mrs/etc. As I understand, it is added to separate section (not sure where in the passport, maybe the main page), something like "This person goes by the title "Doctor" (or "Reverend" or whatever"). It's also where they distinguish between real names and common usage names (think of all those film stars who have stage names).

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So, would I be able to add 'Kate' to my passport and keep it in 'Kathryn'?

The amount of times I've accidentally booked flights in Kate and had to get them changed...

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, this makes sense. My mum has this as her passport is in her married name, so she has a bit saying "Also known as Dr Maidenname". It's towards the back of the passport.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I guess so. But you'd need documents to,prove that you go by 'Kate'. I'm not sure what you might offer? Bank stuff?

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

Mine doesn't have dr on but it is about to expire. I'm not sure whether I'll have it on my new one, but think the whole process is going to get confusing, as am keeping my maiden name for work but going to be using my married name for personal/non-professional things, so changing my name and title might just overwhelm them (if they are anywhere near as useless as the DVLA),

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Iris, for medics who graduated still with their maiden name, is it straightforward to change to Dr Married Name if you want? Do you have to reregister (or whatever) or can you just start using your new name?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You have to fill in a form and send it off to the GMC with your marriage certificate, and they sort it out for you within about two weeks. I didn't change my signature or my hospital ID until I'd had that confirmation back, but it was fairly straightforward. I think I'm in a minority among female doctors in having changed my name completely though. In my portfolio folder I put my marriage certificate straight after my degree certificates just in case anyone gets confused!

I changed my surname and put Dr on my passport at the same time. There's a page next to the photo page which says "The holder of this passport is Doctor Helen..." I don't think I had to send off any proof of my title.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As Helenia said I don't think it's too problematic in terms of the GMC but I have heard it can be complicated in terms of postgraduate exams/membership to the royal colleges, etc. I think in the long run it's easier to change everything to the one name, so I'm sure I'll be making life hard for myself. Whenever you take membership exams, etc you have to take ID. So if I take an exam after getting married, I'll have to take my photo id which will have my married name on and take a copy of the marriage certificate to prove I'm the same person. I can envisage things getting tricky!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Obvs I'm not a doctor but I always gave a copy if my marriage cert in my purse anyway,even for silly stuff like picking up parcels from post office.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics