Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kay
Curious June 2021 Bristol

Changing to a Micro Wedding

Kay, 20 of January of 2021 at 13:49 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi All,

We were due to be married in September last year, and had organised everything (paid all deposits) for this in March 2020. We then had to move it to April this year.

We have kept all of our original suppliers and are actually really keen to go ahead on our date, even with just 15 people! We (maybe naively) thought all of the suppliers would be keen to go ahead too and would have worked to create new offerings etc to allow for these numbers. However, some want to charge us more (per person) than before (keeping us to the t&c's based on a 100 person wedding) and seem to be encouraging us to postpone (cancelling isn't an option), which we really don't want to do.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

5 replies

Latest activity by Kept, 12 of February of 2021 at 10:39
  • HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya Kay

We're in a similar situation, postponed from last September to this, after paying nearly all our due balances in March last year.

It's awful that your suppliers are being so inflexible on costs, but a lot of that cost is not the consumables, but the cost of staff. services and venue etc, so in the end there is hardly any difference in price.

Would you be willing to do a celebration split, with a small ceremony and celebration in April (maybe at a different venue, although of course, this may mean additional cost) . Maybe you could then use your bookings and balances for a bigger celebration with your extended loved ones at a later date at your original venue?

Tricky isn't it? Hope you find some resolution!

Cheers

Ali

• Kay
    Kay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Ali,

It really is tricky! We had thought about all of that too, but thankfully we think we've come to an agreement now and can go ahead with a micro wedding in April (if we're out of lockdown)!

I hope your planning for September is going well.

Kay

• Kept
    Savvy November 2020 Devon
    Kept ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ali,

I am sorry to hear you've had to postpone, but pleased to hear you are going ahead with a micro-wedding! I can understand why a supplier might try to charge you more per person as they would have based their 100 person quote on a basic rate plus a surplus for the number of guests originally. They may have explained it differently to you to make it more simple to understand so it's worth trying to understand the reasoning behind this. Reducing the number to 15 might mean that the per person quote wouldn't meet their basic rate in terms of making the event worthwhile for them to do.

It does seem unfair but supplier pricing can be more complicated then what meets the eye. Like most suppliers, quotes are arranged on the brief, so when the brief changes, so can the price. In your case where the numbers have dropped, it can seem ridiculous that the price isn't significantly cheaper.

You could have more lee-way if you haven't paid any of your suppliers yet? You could argue that postponing the date to a time when restrictions are lifted could mean that supplier might not be available to do your new date. There are more people postponing then reducing numbers at the moment, so suppliers would be happy to snap up a booking during this 'dry spell' if you call it. See if you could negotiate and come to an agreement.

I hope this helps with your question.

With love,

Laura x

Kept Weddings

• Kay
    Kay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Laura,

That's really helpful, thank you! We've managed to work to agreements with all our suppliers which is lovely. Let's just hope it can go ahead in April.

Kay

• Kept
    Savvy November 2020 Devon
    Kept ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Kay,

That's great news! I am pleased you were able to work to agreements with your suppliers. I have my fingers and toes crossed for you. I am sure it will be just as special for you both!

With love,

Laura x

Kept Weddings

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics