Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2013

Changing your name by Deed Poll

MrsB-to-be, 9 of April of 2013 at 23:01 Posted on Planning 0 12

After some advice... I'm getting married in 6 weeks and I intend to double barrel my surname, rather than take my H2B's surname on it's own. To do this I know I have to change my name by deed poll, but I don't know when to do it... I quite like the thought of signing it on our wedding day, but I have booked the honeymoon in my maiden name, would this matter? Could my passport stay in my maiden name?

Any advice much appreciated!

12 replies

Latest activity by Marcus, 22 of August of 2021 at 02:51
  • BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

Passport can stay as your maiden name until it runs out, any holidays you book will have to be in your maiden name though. Not sure about the deed poll bit though.

• P
    pjharmy ·
    • Hide content

Um, I don't think you do need a deed poll — see http://deed-poll-office.org.uk/advice/woman-getting-married#change-to-double-barrelled-surname

Anyway, if you've booked the honeymoon in your maiden name, then you'll have to leave your passport as it is until you get back. I suppose you could change all the tickets into your married name, but you won't be able to renew your passport in time. Well I suppose you could, but it would be madness!

There's nothing wrong with your passport being in your maiden name, there's no law against it.

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    MrsB-to-be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's the only website I've seen that says u don't have to change by deed poll for a double barrelled surname, all others say you have to...

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The UK deed Poll office say that some places may accept the double-barrelling without a deed poll, but some may require one (notably financial institutes). For the sake of £30, I'd do it, and then you always have it if needed.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You sign the register with your maiden name, not your married name.

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    MrsB-to-be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was referring to signing the deed poll, not the register.

Maybe I wasn't clear. The question I'm asking is am I ok to sign the deed poll on my wedding day (so names officially changed) and still travel using only my maiden name (passport will still be in maiden name as are tickets)

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Even if you've changed everything to your married name except your passport it doesn't matter. As long as your tickets are booked in the same name as on your passport. My passport is still in my maiden name as I'm not paying to change it.

• P
    pjharmy ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, both deed poll websites make money by selling deed polls. One says you need a deed poll, the other one says you don't need a deed poll.

I'm inclined to trust the one that says you don't need a deed poll, because why would they lie?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You don't 'legally' need a deed poll.

But good luck changing everything to a double-barrelled name without one.

You can legally call yourself whatever you like, but certain institutions (financial as FTLOMB mentions, or educational like where I work) will want to see some kind of proof of ID and won't accept a marriage cert as proof of changing to a double-barrelled name.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I do Change of Name deeds all the time, and accepted by all sorts. Deed poll is a little old fashioned and not really done any more.

Change of name deed on the internet or phone around local solicitors.

• M
    Beginner August 2021 West Yorkshire
    Marcus ·
    • Hide content
    How we were in the same situation, we were told that although we didn’t strictly need a deed poll to double barrel our names, that some organisations “banks abs mortgage companies” would not accept the change without one.

Our solicitor referred us to the UK Deed Poll Service who prepared our official deed poll and the relevant letters to record holders. All in all it cost about £14 each but our passports snd driving licenses now successfully show our new double barrelled name.
    The web address for the UK Deed Poll Service is www.changemyname.org.uk
    Well worth £14
  • M
    Beginner August 2021 West Yorkshire
    Marcus ·
    • Hide content
    Sorry the link is here www.changemyname.org.uk

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics