Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

O
Beginner October 2015

Chasing down late RSVP's

Oct2015Bride, 28 of August of 2015 at 14:44 Posted on Planning 0 9

So today is the deadline for our RSVP's and we're still waiting to hear back from around a third of the guests! We had written on the RSVP cards please respond no later than todays date, and we need the numbers back as we have menu choices, and need to know number of tables for florists table centres, drinks costs, table décor etc.

Question is, at what point to I start to chase these people who found it too hard to tick a couple of boxes and pop a card in the post, despite having a month to do it? This is possibly the most frustrating part of the planning yet. We're putting on a free bar and have said no gifts, just come and celebrate with us and STILL people can't be bothered to respond? I will be bald by the wedding from tearing my hair out at this rate!

9 replies

Latest activity by hollyhollytree, 31 of August of 2015 at 21:31
  • M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content

I can imagine how frustrating this is (I have this to come!) - did you give yourself any contingency with the RSVP date?

I would give it a few days yet, maybe wait util after the bank hols to contact people? As its August and lots of people may be away or just back from holidays but no excuse to just not respond.

I agree it is a little stressful for you but try not to panic just yet.

How far in advance do you need to tell venue/florist etc?

You never know you may get home later and have lots waiting for you Smiley smile x

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Can you contact a lot of them easily by email etc and just send a block email saying something like you have reached the deadline for decisions on food and numbers etc and is their RSVP held up in the post?

Hopefully that will make everyone either post it or lie and say yes we sent it we wanted this and that. At least you may get an answer one way or another within a few days then and only end up a week behind.

if you wIt a week then you're at least two weeks behind by the time people get their bums into gear.

• O
    Beginner October 2015
    Oct2015Bride ·
    • Hide content

I'll need to know by 5th September for table centres with the florist as her payment is due 6 weeks before. The hotel will be ok, as we have paid for a package for 50 people and numbers won't exceed that, but for my own sanity I would like to be able to at least tick this off the list of things still to do!

What annoys me the most are the people that have planned weddings themselves, so know how annoying it is, and STILL don't respond.

I'm thinking i'll chase Wednesday next week and say I need to know numbers for the caterers. We've got some ones already going oh i'll come, no I can't come, no I will come, oh maybe just the day / just the evening. Just TELL ME please, ffs.... lol

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Good idea. I would end up saying if I don't know by then there will unfortunately be no choice of food lol. Give them a shake up. I hate it when people don't bother to come back to you on things.

if you have to advise your florist I would go with what you know. I'm sure she won't turn the business away if you have to add an extra one on.

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh, these are the worst! I just don't get it? Surely you know how annoying it is to not be replied to?? RUDE.

Sorry I have no advice but I know what you're going through. We just had to chase up a bunch of people (thankfully only a handful).

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Thing is if they say the can't come and then change their mind what do you do when they decide they can come after all and you've invited someone from just evening in their place.

regardless whether they have sorted weddings themselves how can they keep dithering when they know you are paying for food? Aaaaargh.

So glad I have no reception lol. Well more so no guests.

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    misslynx ·
    • Hide content

I am at this stage and with you!!!

We have had about 50% respond..... I wish I'd have done the RSVP date sooner (and have kicked myself many times on this!) but after 31st August I am going to go on the rampage! Lol!

Weirdly, one couple have booked a room at the hotel and stated they were gifting a prize to friends as they were already booked with a wedding.... but they haven't RSVP'd!

A whole table is made up of a brass quintet and their partners. The quintet is playing at the evening reception. None have RSVP'd. (With these, it was mainly if you want to bring your kids, you will have to be evening only).

So I think these are coming.... but just getting people to confirm!

PS. My Bridesmaid decided to officially RSVP yesterday! pmsl!

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

My bms don't think they need to reply cause I know they are going but I need to know their choice of food etc. lol ? I also kick myself about RSVP date wish I'd done it earlier!

• Kittylove
    Beginner August 2015
    Kittylove ·
    • Hide content

We chased people up the evening of the RSVP deadline. If that's when you said you need to know you have every right to chase once you have checked that days post.

We found most of the people who hadn't RSVPd knew they couldn't make it, but hadn't thought to pass this information on. If they don't respond to a chase, then ditch them, because you can't really on them turning up.

We took some RSVPs over the phone on the evening of the RSVP deadline, and having paid for 5 day guests at £100 a pop who didn't bother to show I would say try and get it in writing if you can. I'm still tempted to bill three of them who didn't apologise and didn't offer any explanation for the no-show.

• hollyhollytree
    Beginner September 2016
    hollyhollytree ·
    • Hide content

Oh you poor thing. I have no advice apart from don't hold back for fear of being termed bridezilla, just email/text/write to everyone who hasn't responded and tell them to get their ass in gear.

One of my friends got married last year and got so fed up that she put up a facebook status asking for RSVPs as they were over a month late and a few of the guests she was waiting for liked the status... but still didn't respond!! What is wrong with people?

This is the part of the wedding planning I am absolutely dreading. Also we have people staying at the venue who need to pay us for their rooms otherwise it comes out of our pockets. I'll bet anything that I'll end up chasing people up about that too. Grrr!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics