Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Charlied
Beginner October 2010

chasing up RSVP

Charlied, 12 July, 2010 at 09:23 Posted on Planning 0 6

Morning all

We sent out day invites ages ago and nearly have them all in, did this so we could bump up evening guests before invites went out, if necessary.

We have paid package for 50 guests, at moment we have 52 (10 of which are kids) invited and there are 6 possible that now can't/wont come.

If one of these six dont turn up its not the end of the world but if all six dont I have lost a lot of money and I could have filled the spaces with people from the evening list (intend to make evening invites and send them out in next few weeks) . My question is this - how do I polietly ask them to respond to my RSVP without being pushy and blunt? (what Im quite well known for)

N.B. three of the people in question are partners of family members and I think they havent repsonded as they dont know if they are bringing them or not, only asked them out of politeness and now a bit cross that i even bothered when they cant even be bothered to reply to my invite

6 replies

Latest activity by hshc86, 12 July, 2010 at 12:12
  • M
    Beginner October 2010
    mrsmiller2b ·
    • Hide content

Probably not the answer you're looking for but you need to be pushy!! Just tell them that you need to know whether they will be coming as if they can't you need to invite other people to take their place as you've already paid for their meals (that sounded better in my head than it does in writing!!) Make sure you say to them that it's not a problem if they can't come, you won't be offended you just need to know.

I think people who don't respond to RSVP's are really rude!! x

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Just contact them and say the hotel are needing a confirmation soon on numbers for the meal so could we possibly have a confirmation that X is coming with you, by thisdateplease.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

If they still dont respond then you'll have to explain that a meal wont be provided for their partners, and that will be awkward... you dont need to tell anyone that you are inviting someone else in their place....

• Charlied
    Beginner October 2010
    Charlied ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh, I like that.

Also, what do think the etiquette on when couples have split up. SIL and her OH have split up and are still friends and he still wants to come to the wedding (personally Im not fussed on him being there as he is annoying - however, he was on original invite) OH and I are divided - I say he should be uninvited as he was only invited because he was with OHs sister. But OH thinks because his sister and now-ex get on its fine for him to come. I think thats rubbish, just becuase they WERE together doesnt mean they should still go everywhere together...

• Chez2k
    Beginner October 2010
    Chez2k ·
    • Hide content

I would say you need to be pushy and tell them to give you an answer now!!!

We had to be brutal and say if they hadn't replied by the rsvp date then they weren't coming! We had decided that we weren't going to mess about and would make the decision for them that they couldn't come.

It is your wedding date and I had the opinion that if they couldn't be bothered to RSVP then I didn't want them there! It only happened with one person... so we were quite lucky.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

If they get on you can always invite them, they dont need to be sitting together at the meal either...... put them on seperate tables as they might get embarrassed when guests start assuming they are a couple.

• H
    Beginner
    hshc86 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with being pushy and blunt!

Some people don't think about why you need a reply a while before the wedding as they don't know what's involved in the whole wedding planning business.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics