Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner

Cheap Essex Venues with Hog Roasts

Bronzedandpolished, 9 April, 2009 at 15:47 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi folks

Just wondered if I can get abit of help. I've been engaged for a while now and have now decieded to take the plunge and finally tie the knot. We had planned to get married a couple of years ago, but that got cancelled as I was pregnant. Now we're wanting to get married again however after going to a few weddings we have realised neither of us want the formal wedding with the sit down meal etc. All we want is a place where we can have a big party. I've looked at so many wedding venues and they all say that we have to have a sit down meal so all those places are scrapped.

We dont have that much money either so we're looking for a venue that we could perhaps get married in, however a registry office is fine as I only really want immediate family to the actual event and then everyone else comes after to a place where we can have a hog roast buffet and some music where we can party the night away.

The other option was to have a small wedding and go for a nice meal and then hire a hall, but the problem with that is I don't want the responsibility of having to tidy up after - how lazy am I lol.

I really want this somewhere nice and pretty, if anyone could help I will be so grateful.

Many thanks xx

9 replies

Latest activity by SarinaCain, 19 November, 2010 at 11:46
  • Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

What part of Essex are you looking at? Its a pretty large county.

btw...congrats on finslly doing it!!!!

• B
    Beginner
    Bronzedandpolished ·
    • Hide content

I hope I've replyed to this right, sorry but I'm a newbie lol

To be honest we live in Billericay but are actually not that bothered of the area in Essex as long as there is a place to stay nearby or if we're really lucky somewhere to stay at the place.

• thefuturemrsclarke
    Beginner July 2010
    thefuturemrsclarke ·
    • Hide content

Im having my reception at mount avenue banquetting in brentwood . when i looked around she did say that you could have whatever food yhou wanted , because the chef is also the owner. also there is no room hire if over 90 people eat. ypu can also get married there although not sure on the cost for that because im having a church wedding.

hth

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

I did a wedding at Great Yeldham in the White Hart. It is a pub with quite large gardens and a marquee for weddings. The ceremony can be held in their main room.

I was quite impressed with his venue and there are several images from this wedding on my website, albeit a late season wedding with poor light it delivered some good exterior images....

hth

Peter

• passionweddingflowers
    passionweddingflowers ·
    • Hide content

https://www.essexhogroasts.co.uk/

The above caterer has provide hog for these venues maybe worth a look

https://www.markshall.org.uk/weddings_functions_events

http://www.thereidrooms.co.uk/wedding.shtml

https://www.smeethamhall.co.uk/

Not sure if any of them are any good but good luck xx

• M
    Beginner May 2009
    MRS BREWER 2B ·
    • Hide content

Hi im getting married in the reid rooms in essex in May!!

They have a ceremony room and a function rooms. (a lounge with piano and fire place, a dance floor with bar, a small room ideal for buffet food, a kitchen, and a room to sit down and eat, as well as the use of the outside area).

They also have another hall called the room in the rodings.

Im getting married outside in their pavillion, we are then having afternoon tea and then a hog roast and buffet for the evening.

They are very flexible you can choose for them to do it all or choose to do it all yourself, we chose to do it ourselves.

They have pretty grounds and a farm house to stay in which is included in the price if you book the reid rooms.(the farm house is yours for the evening however other guests have to pay for their rooms).

Depending on when you want it depends on the price.

We chose to have it on a weekday, only because i fell in love with the reid rooms, and the pavillion is part of the room in the rodings, so they said i can have both venues if we had a week day wedding.

I felt it was a good price not expensive.

it is much cheaper on a week day.

Also if you descide to do this barter with any suppliers, they are less likely to get another wedding on a week day.

Our hog roast was £400 for 120 guests.(even less for cash!!)

Hope this helps, didnt look at any other venues because i fell in love with this one straght away!

• B
    Beginner
    Bronzedandpolished ·
    • Hide content

That sounds exactly what we want, I don't suppose you would mind emailing me a rough idea of how much it costs not the real amounts obviously but it would be nice to have a rough idea, also if you could tell me who's supplying you with your catering that would be fantastic. I know I'm being really cheeky so if you don't want then obviously thats fine. I'm just so lazy and really am not that interested in searching through. Actually what I want to do is click my fingers and it'll be done lol.

I've contacted The Reid Rooms so just waiting for them to ring me back. How exiting somewhere that will let us do what we want. Woo Hoo!! xx

My email is *****@******************.**.** xx

• MrsMcB2B
    Beginner November 2009
    MrsMcB2B ·
    • Hide content

Hi there.

Can't help with venues as moved away to Bonnie Scotland in 1997 but I grew up in Billericay and thought I'd say 'Hi'!

Welcome to Hitched!

?

• J
    Beginner
    jbarton ·
    • Hide content

Been there! Great place!

• SarinaCain
    Beginner March 2011
    SarinaCain ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Was going to recommend the reid rooms...it was one of the places we looked at. My friend is getting married there in April...the other hitcher has given you reasons why...but also wanted to say that the staff were realy helpfull to me as well. The rooms to stay in are lovely too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics