Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2015

Cheap/Unusual Wedding Venues?

Morgan-Vaughan, 30 of June of 2013 at 00:45 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi everyone, I have just recently posted a thread here re: Youth Hostel weddings.

However I did also want to open up a wider question re: cheap and unusual wedding venues. I am basically asking for help/suggestions/inspiration please Smiley smile

We would love to do the WHOLE wedding for 5k... this necessitates a cheap venue... Youth Hostels, village halls, boarding schools... has anyone done it and can anyone suggest venues in the following areas please: Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Lake District, coastal (anywhere!), rural/scenic (anywhere!).

Thanks for any help/experience you can offer.

Lindsey x

10 replies

Latest activity by Morgan-Vaughan, 1 of July of 2013 at 22:47
  • miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

Hi Lindsey,

We are getting married at Swell Cafe in Robin Hood's Bay near Whitby.

It is a converted chapel and has a room upstairs for the ceremony with the wedding breakfast then served in the cafe ;-)

It also has a little terrace overlooking the sea with gorgeous views! I'm on my phone at the moment so unfortunately can't post a pic.

I don't know if it's the kind of place you are looking for but it is very reasonably priced and I think it is pretty unique! ;-)

The only thing is the maximum number of guests is 50 for a sit down meal, so would be no good if you are wanting a large wedding.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a blessing at Wasdale in Cumbria next year. We're having the reception at Wasdale Inn and its coming in at under 5k, beautiful location especially if you're a hill walker.

• M
    Beginner June 2015
    Morgan-Vaughan ·
    • Hide content

Hi both thank you for your responses Smiley smile

i know the swell cafe, my parents live in North Yorkshire Smiley smile do you see what I mean about just needing a bit of inspiration! What a beautiful venue, although as you pointed out, the capacity may be a bit limited. I've emailed them this morning anyway and will let you know how I get on!!

Wasdale looks stunning thank you!! I'm going to check it out later. Do you know what their capacity is for guests please?

Lindsey x

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

We're having 30 guests and the restaurant will comfortably fit that many. The price per head is also entirely up to you, the manager Sue has given us discount on nights either side of our wedding date too.

If you decide to have the legal bit before and then a blessing or renewal of vows then St Olafs is an ideal church for an intimate gathering;

As a quick edit, here's the inside;

• M
    MariaGeorgiou ·
    • Hide content

What about a big country house where you can have a unique wedding for you and your guests. How many guests do you have? It really all depends on your number of guests...

Maria

http://allbridesonboard.com

• Jen_P
    Dedicated August 2013
    Jen_P ·
    • Hide content

Hi! We are getting married at Hargate Hall in the Peak District (near Buxton). I believe it used to be a Youth Hostel but now has been done up and changed into self catering holiday appartments. The main hall is lisenced for weddings.

If you dont mind getting married in the week they do a fantastic package, which we are having. This comes in at £4200 and you get exclusive use for the wedding day, caterers for wedding breakfast and evening buffet, table wine and drinks for toasts, DJ, Table flowers from a local florist, invitations from a local company, photographer, room to get ready in, and he does the bar, other bits and bobs as well. The weekend is different but all is explained on the website.

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

Hargate Hall looks lovely!

• M
    Beginner June 2015
    Morgan-Vaughan ·
    • Hide content

Jen, Hargate Hall looks stunning, what a gem!! Thanks for that, I have just e-mailed the owners with some questions and hoping to go and have a look at it next month. Thank you!

Maria, we think our guest numbers will be approx 75, although it's such early days... it feels like "chicken and the egg" because our numbers may be dictated by distance to venue - some family members are unlikely to travel for example, but then we might be ignoring a smaller ideal venue because we don't want to risk excluding people who may or may not attend.

Hmmm!!

Any other help would be very much appreciated, thanks for all the inspiration ladies!

Lindsey x

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I once shot in Woodborough Hall in Notts, it was the whole shebang for 2k, and the service was excellent. Only problem is there's limited numbers and maybe a bit out of Derbsyhire? I just got an email from someone getting married at Ilam Hall in Dovedale, not sure of the cost but it's a youth hostel so perhaps wrth checking out

• Jaysmonkey
    Beginner August 2014
    Jaysmonkey ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married at Oakwell Hall, West Yorkshire. The ceremony is in the main hall https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/leisure/museums/oakwell/historic-house.shtml, which is actually a small museum. The reception is on the same site in a barn.

It's council owned so the price is incredibly cheap.

We do have to sort out own caterers and if we wish to 'sell' drinks on the premises we need a bar license, but we could just buy all the booze in ourselves and there would be no issues.

https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/leisure/museums/oakwell/weddingbrochure.pdf

• M
    Beginner June 2015
    Morgan-Vaughan ·
    • Hide content

Hello lovely people thanks again for all your help! I would have to rule out Oakwell as I was hoping for somewhere with accommodation too. Woodborough looks good - they currently have an all inc. package for 50 guest Jan 14 - Mar 14 - £2500 !! And Ilam is fabulous thank you, I have e-mailed the hostel directly and awaiting further info. Thank you xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics