Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

knitting_vixen
Beginner September 2011

cheeky bleeder!

knitting_vixen, 7 July, 2011 at 15:05 Posted on Planning 0 7

My cousin that is. He just sent me a facebook message saying, "will you call me asap"... I messaged him back rather than call him (I hate it when people send me messages asking me to call them- if it's urgent, call me yourself!).

He asked if he could bring is girlfriend to the wedding. The cheeky so and so! He has been with her for 2 months or something. More to the point, we overinvited, and have only had 3 declines so we won't have any space.

I have told him this and said no, but I think it is just so cheeky! Still, he is only 19 or something, so prob doesn't realise the correct protocol. I felt like saying, "It's rude to contact the bride and groom and ask for an extra invite to a wedding."... but I didn't.

GRrrr.

7 replies

Latest activity by Saisi, 7 July, 2011 at 17:41
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

On the positive side, at least he did ask rather than just turning up with her on the day expecting there to be both a space, and food, available...

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I guess even he knew that would have been a no-no... if he had done that, he would have been out on his ear.

• yes2011
    Beginner
    yes2011 ·
    • Hide content

A friend of ours got a new girlfriend recently and asked if she could come along. He's travelling from abroad and turning the trip into a little holiday with her - we couldn't really say no.

But I understand how you feel - you keep de-selecting friends to meet your list and then a stranger comes along and expects you to pay 100 pounds for their dinner... Oh well... what can you do...

I've also been allowed to bring my OH to lots of weddings and each time he was like "Hi, nice to meet you, and congratulations...". I enjoyed having him with me on the celebration day, and I was happy I could bring him.

Let's just assume we're doing the people we love a huge favor Smiley smile

• W
    Beginner August 2012
    wifeyinwaiting ·
    • Hide content

This is so funny, I can totally understand why you feel like its cheeky! Id be the same I think, Im surrounded my idiots at the moment too like my OH's brother (who we arent on speaking terms with at the moment) was supposed to be best man but not any more... anyway he hadnt been with his gf for long either like 2 months, and automatically thought it meant she would have status in my wedding... what? am i supposed to ask her to be bridesmaid or something?! haha! after this happened, we announced our wedding date and it so happens to be on her birthday next year (which we didnt know until then) and she got my future arsehole of a FIL to call us up and tell us that we have to move our wedding incase she wants a freaking birthday party!!!!! bloody teenage brat!

• happy_feet
    Beginner
    happy_feet ·
    • Hide content

We had a similar thing but with fil2b family. Me and oh have not met half of them, but at least he offered to pay for them! We have done the rest of wedding ourselves

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are in the same situation as you. Our trick has been to say (well, e-mail) that there wasn't enough room at the venue but we would let him know if another guest couldn't come. They haven't booked any plane/train tickets yet, so hopefully he will find something else to do with her, but if not we can pretend that someone couldn't come and there is a space for her. We're already stretched on our budget with OH not working, god knows where we will find the spare cash to feed a woman who may not even turn up (they have only been together a month so far so not a very solid relationship).

This is the second time some random additional guest has been 'invited' to my wedding without my say so and, from the number of similar stories on Hitched, it seems everyone's at it. I completely agree with you KV, it was pretty cheeky of him but I can't imagine a 19year old boy has much awareness of the costs and stresses of planning a wedding. I think some people seriously think that a wedding breakfast costs £5 a head ?

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

I had one of these! My uncle text me to ask if his girlfriends daughters boyfriend could come. My first thought was 'I dont even know the girlfriends daughter very weel, i only invited her to be polite' so i said 'very sorry, were limited on numbers, so no. but he can come to the reception if he wants?' so now the daughter isnt coming to the wedding (good!) she and her fella will come to the evening instead.

Works for me!

and yes i agree...UBER cheeky.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

It is cheeky but IMO just cut him some slack, he is only 19 and a boy. Sorry to be sexist but quite often men just don't get the logistics and expense involved in planning a wedding, and especially at that age when he likely hasn't been involved in any. Not worth getting upset or pissed off about Smiley smile (not saying that you are either of those KV!).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics