Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner March 2013

Cheese and Biscuits!

Chedi, 23 November, 2012 at 22:41 Posted on Planning 0 14

Opinions please... in other words, please boost my confidence on this one - or make me speak up!

My parents are paying for catering, so are the ones liaising with the caterers we're using. We've had a really good say in everything wedding related, including the wedding breakfast menu - so I've not got a problem is saying what I dont want, but this is one aspect I'm not sure on. Mum thinks it'd be great to have cheese and biscuits for the evening buffett to the point she's asked the caterers to do it. Nothing is set in stone yet, but they're happy to do it for us. I'm sure it'll be presented nicely and have a good choice...but I just never thought I'd ever have cheese and biscuits at my wedding!

We're only having something cold on platters and I'd thought more along the lines of nice crusty bread, cold meats, pickles, cheeses etc. kinda more like a ploughmans I guess - buffet style? Mum seems to think this might be too much for evening food and more of a sit down meal, which I do understand.. its just, cheese and biscuits are cheese and biscuits! Its what you lay out with other things - not as THE food.

If its any help, we're having a canapes straight after ceremony then later there'll be bread on tables during speeches, starter, main, desert, then coffee and mints - all between 3 and 6.30pm. Evening guests are arriving 7-7.30pm ish, and food will be about 8.30-9pm - so yes, we're not going to need much!

What do you think? OK - or not OK?

14 replies

Latest activity by claire_91, 24 November, 2012 at 15:12
  • rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Well I think this sounds fine.

We're having a bit of afternoon tea about 3.30, hog roast about 6.30 then cheese and biscuits about 9.30.

It sounds like there;s plenty throughout the day tp keep everyone going. We are doing this because of our budget, and also because our wedding is a bit later.

And also, I LOVE cheese and biscuits! Who doesn't?!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

The cheese and biscuits were the most raved about bits of our evening buffet.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Same as mine. We had loads of canapes, then proper sit down 3 course meal, and then cakes.

Evening peckish bits were a cheese tower and mini fish and chips. Got so many comments about the cheese (it was pretty important seeing as half the guests were french).

As one of the other ladies said - who doesn't like cheese?*

*apart from weirdos

• Rusty the Clown
    Rusty the Clown ·
    • Hide content

We did cheese, biscuits, pâté, celery, grapes etc and served the cake at the same time. Went down very well.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I love cheese and biscuits maybe with some pickles

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

I'm biased as its what we're having for our evening buffet but especially with the amount of food you're provided, i think it would be fine. However, the ploughmans also sounds lovely as people can choose how much they want so I think either idea would work, it's just down to your preference.

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

I would be having cheese and biscuits instead of dessert if it was totally down to me!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Big vote for cheese and biscuits. I love the stuff.

• Thewebb46
    Beginner July 2014
    Thewebb46 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds brilliant and actually like a proper meal rather than the pigeon food your normally think of when weddings are concerned. Nothing worse than thinking your guests are headed for a KFC bargain bucket on the way to your reception.

A friend of mine had cheese and biscuits instead of wedding cake.

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

If i had the option i'd go with the ploughmans but i love cheese and biscuits too!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Actual cheese is served as cakes now and then cut up for the guests to eat after so I think cheese and biscuits would go down very well!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I would love it, but my H doesn't eat cheese, so he'd be pretty miserable if he went to an evening reception with nothing but dry crackers to eat. I think cheese & biscuits is a great idea but you might want to have a few extra bits for non-cheese people, or just to provide a bit of variety!

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content

Maybe compromise and have cheese and biscuits as part of it but still have what you want as well. I love cheese and biscuits so I'd be happy with all of it lol x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics