Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner July 2015

Cheese and cake as evening food... Good idea?

RomanticPurpleCars76, 16 of September of 2014 at 13:51 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hi ladies

I just wanted to get your thoughts on evening food for a barn wedding. We're planning to feed our day guests between 3.30-4pm with a sit-down hog roast. We were then originally planning to get a fish and chip van between 7.30-8pm for the evening food, but the quotes we're getting are very expensive and also there's a concern that we'd over-face our day guests, hence wasting food and money. So, we were thinking instead to have one of those lovely tiered cakes of different cheeses, decorated with fruit and flowers, and served with biscuits, prunes and chutneys. Obviously being in Yorkshire one of those cheeses would have to be Wensleydale! The other food would be our wedding cake cut into slices. We wanted to do something different, hence the original fish and chip van idea, but I think a 'cheese cake' is also a bit different and wouldn't blow the budget.

Do you think this would be enough food for both the day guests who will have already eaten their main meal, and our evening guests arriving around 7pm and expecting food of some kind?

Let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Charley

16 replies

Latest activity by jayannfernandez, 19 of September of 2014 at 16:07
  • charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

I think that would be lovely! we are doing very similar, not with the cheese cake, but feeding our guests around 5pm with a sit down meal, then our evening guests are arriving at 8 and we are having popcorn and candy cart and wedding cake to serve around 9 xx

• R
    Beginner July 2015
    RomanticPurpleCars76 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Charlie, your plans sound lovely too. Have a fab wedding! x

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, you too!! When is the big day xx

• R
    Beginner July 2015
    RomanticPurpleCars76 ·
    • Hide content

Not until July next year but I'm trying to spread the wedding planning over many months so I'm not left with the bulk of it to do at the end! x

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't say hog roast is overly filling unless you're having lots of stuff with it? We're having a cheese cake, wedding cake and a buffet for the evening guests.

• L
    Beginner August 2014
    LRsoontobeLH ·
    • Hide content

Its sounds like a lovely idea and its what we did.

The only thing I wouldn't be sure about would be for the time of your sit down meal, some people might be really hungry again by 8pm and cheese and biscuits may not be enough to fill them. Also for evening guests they might be expecting slightly more food and could be hungry if they haven't had anything at home before they come.

It worked well for us as we weren't having our sit down meal until 5.30pm and we didn't have any extra guests joining us for the evening so everyone there had eaten a big meal and the cheese and biscuits were just for nibbles, plus cupcakes and a sweetie bar meant that everyone was stuffed all night and we took loads of cheese home with us!

• JellyBellyBride
    Beginner December 2014
    JellyBellyBride ·
    • Hide content

We're doing that but adding bacon rolls too. We're expecting the wedding breakfast to start at around 5.30 so I think at around 9/9.30 we'll get the bacon rolls brought out, along with the wedding cheese and cake. I've already got 18 jars of chutney and will get crackers once they go on offer nearer christmas.

That will have to be enough!!

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

We did similar and it worked well, we didnt have any complaints!

We had tiered cheese, crackers and chutneys. We also had buffet pasties, and scones with jam and cream (were in Devon so kind of apt).

• R
    Beginner July 2015
    RomanticPurpleCars76 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for your feedback and excellent suggestions! We will probably add a few 'peripherals' e.g. houmous, dips, breadsticks, pork pies, etc to bulk it out a bit. Nice to know other people have done the cheese thing and it went down a storm. Smiley smile x

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

We are havng the same (cake is for desert tho) cheese tower, dips, salad and sushi platters from costco also in a barn venue. I don't think anyone would complain if you know anyone with a Costco card you get massive pots of homous for £2 or so and you aso get meat selections etc in larger packs which is great for a wedding!

There are loads of cheese retailers but google one called the cheese shed they have a cheese wedding cake deign tool where you can choose different cheeses and sizes and see how it will look - OH loves it a bit too much!

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds lovely! Although I do agree that the evening guests may be expecting a bit more food x

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

If I'm honest I think you might need a little bit more food.

We had our buffet, plus our wedding cake, plus a cheese cake. All cheese and biscuits went, not a scrap left, a lot of cake was eaten and a lot but not all buffet was eaten.

Our 3 course dinner was served at about the same time as yours too and we only had about another 15-20 evening people. Evening people will definitely expect some kind of food & they might be a bit disappointed with just cheese and cake.

What about laying on your own mini-buffet? Get someone to make some rolls or sandwiches too?

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Personally, I can survive on cake alone! Others may need a bit of cheese.... I'm sure there will be enough to keep people occupied! I find that the guests are often stuffed by the time the evening food is served. When I'm shooting a wedding I usually only have cake in the evening!

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

I informed my guests that there would be no buffet only sweet cake and cake on the invites so they know to have something before they arrive Xx

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I love cheese and cake, so sounds like my idea of food heaven!

• jayannfernandez
    jayannfernandez ·
    • Hide content

Looks like you'd really want a fish and chip van for your wedding? I may be of help as we do offer that service. Drop me a note or let me know how to reach you if you'd like to discuss this further. Smiley smile All the best and congrats in advance!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics