Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

jen_84
Beginner August 2012

Cheese and pork pie cake question

jen_84, 25 October, 2011 at 15:31 Posted on Planning 0 20

We're having a traditional wedding cake but as a surprise for my OH I am intending on getting him a 'boy' cake. I've seen pork pie cakes and cheese cakes and want to combine the two, so I would have the bottom two tiers made from rounds of cheese and the top tier being a pork pie. My question is, would I be able to stack these without using pillars or a cake stand that separates the tiers? Our cake will just have the three tiers stacked on top of each other so ideally I would like to be able to mirror this. I'm not sure what cheese I would get (he likes strong cheese, but I don't want anything too smelly!) and I'm also concerned about the weight of a porkpie on top of cheese. Would I be better off getting a cake stand that separates the tiers or will I be alright stacking it all? What do you think, ladies and gents?

20 replies

Latest activity by overtherainbow, 29 October, 2011 at 11:13
  • Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Could you do a strong chedder on the bottom and maybe an edam then pork pie i only say those cheese's as they are solid and wouldnt collapse under the pie i love this idea though and am now feeling a little peckish lol x

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

I think a strong cheddar is probably the way forward but for the second tier I'd rather something a bit stronger than Edam. He loves blue cheeses like Stilton but I'm worried that won't be physically strong enough to hold the weight of the pie.

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Could you have the pie in the middle as it would hold a cheese like a stilton i love the creamy dolcelate cheese's sorry prob spelt that wrong and at some point it would need cutting anyway you could have dips of different pickles in pretty mini bowls around the outside and some celery and grapes ooh yumyum i want one now xx

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

I have given this some thought and I am not sure about the weights. Maybe try it out on a small scale! I love the idea though, my OH loves pork pie!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Our daughter had a pork pie cake in addition to their wedding cake and it was extremely heavy. It went on pillars but we didn't leave it on display for too long like that as the pie pastry was cracking under the strain! For some reason I can't post photos today - sorry!

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

I think the pie has to go on top Michelle as it won't have a flat top - the pies my butchers sell are homemade and have a rounded and fluted (?) top. If the pie is on top there hopefully shouldn't be any problems with the pastry breaking, Rainbow Florist, but if your daughters pie was heavy enough to break the pastry of the pies underneath, I'm going to need some pretty strong cheese rounds! Maybe I will need to get a cake stand that separates the three layers. Hmmmm.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

I have no idea on how to help but it sounds amazing.

I really want a pork pie now.

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

What about something like these

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Michelle. I like the style of the one with the cakes on it. I guess it doesn't have to mirror the style of the traditional cake we're having - it will look very different anyway, so I might as well make the most of it!

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Thought i'd put them out there even if it doesnt mirror your wedding cake it will have the wow factor in itself unless your planning a wedding i dont think people would have really seen much along the lines of these and will love them even if they do really eat it, it will look fab x

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Can the meatiness escape from the pork pie layer and infect the cheese? If not, I'm in!

Absolutely nothing sensible to add, sorry. Smiley smile

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think so! Should I save you a piece of cheese?!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I ❤️ cheese.

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Feel free to have me as a tester my pre wedding diet has gone out the window this week and we are only on tues lol x

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The bottom tier was too heavy for me to carry so had to enrol the help of a bloke! I'll see if I can post pix tomorrow. Hitched is playing silly devils at my end today Grr!

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

I'll bear that in mind Michelle!

Thanks Rainbow Florist!

• MrsG2B28.7.12
    Beginner July 2012
    MrsG2B28.7.12 ·
    • Hide content

I would have thought because cheese is dense and solid so long as you don't have anything with holes in or too crumbly like a swiss you should be fine? No experience though i'm afraid!

(however quite fancy borrowing this idea!)

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Yay! At last, I can post photos albeit the wrong way round! The pork pie cake had just been brought out at this point and a couple of cracks were starting to appear. Each pie weighed a ton but the pastry was lovely and flakey. The venue cut it up for the evening buffet and served with peas and the rest of the barbequed stuff. Someone wrote in the guest book that the pork pie and peas was the best food he'd ever eaten at a wedding!

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Rainbow Florist! That looks like an awesome cake - I bet people loved it. I've spoken to the venue and they have a cake stand we can use for our stacked traditional wedding cake and they also have a 'swan' stand which will have three separate layers so I think I'm going to go for that so that there's no risk of breaking the cheeses/pies!

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

We will be having pork pies too. I love them and in a strange way they are very special to me. Haven't decided if to just do a pile p mini pork pies or a stack

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I was very suprised at the cost too. It was made by our local butcher and when he quoted £45, I thought that was for each tier but it was for the whole lot! He also provided a Bride and Groom for the top but they'd already bought this X box and fed up Bride cake top so they sold the other on ebay. Well, actually they sold both on ebay eventually!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics