Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner March 2017

Cheese instead of Cake - opinions please

MrsJFC2be, 14 of May of 2015 at 21:34 Posted on Planning 0 14

This seems to be a new thing but has anyone had a cheese tower instead of a wedding cake? If so how did it go with guests?

Me and my fiancé love the idea as we are more savoury than sweet and love cheese. I would love people's opinions on this, would you be disappointed to not receive cake from a wedding?

Sorry I don't know how to insert an image!

Thanks,

Laura

14 replies

Latest activity by Chale, 18 of May of 2015 at 12:54
  • Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Heres one for you from a wedding I shot last year--- tiz a biggie and you dont have to go this big but it depends on how many people its for and how much of it you want to take on honeymoon with you 😃

• M
    Beginner March 2017
    MrsJFC2be ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Smiley smile

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    BrideMMD ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a fab idea. If you're both cheese fans, why not?! Serve it up with some crackers. I defo wouldn't be disappointed

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrsmalpass ·
    • Hide content

We are being greedy and having both!! As we both love cheese and cake, the cheese will be served after the wedding breakfast and cake cut in the evening in the traditional way...

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to hitched! I personally am not too fussed by cakes at weddings. Usually after 2 courses I'm stuffed, so often don't finish dessert/cake anyway.

My SIL had both also and the cheese/crackers in the evening was nice. You certainly don't need a cake.

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

I think this is a fab idea. I'd have a cupcake stand or something like that as well though for the non-cheese/sugar lovers!

• M
    Beginner June 2014
    Mrs EtoB ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a great idea. I went to a friends wedding last year and they had one. They cut one of the cheese wheels instead of the "cutting the cake" moment. The only think I would say, is once it's all cut up for people to eat - it really smells! So if can serve it somewhere a bit out of the way it might be wise. Some guests who don't like cheese were holding their noses!

• Lightworks Photography
    Lightworks Photography ·
    • Hide content

I've photographed a lot of weddings where the cake was cheese - no real concerns apart from the fact that if it's very hot the cheese doesn't hold it's shape too well and does start to smell - lovely if you like it but not if you don't! I remember one cheese tower that did start to sag a bit in the heat. However the guests always seem to love it and it does have a bit of novelty factor!

• M
    Beginner March 2017
    MrsJFC2be ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone, the heat shouldn't be a problem as its a March wedding! Think we're gunna go for it and also do cupcakes Smiley smile

• Porridgefloats
    Beginner February 2017
    Porridgefloats ·
    • Hide content

I love it! We're having cupcakes after pudding and then cheese and port at 11pm - February wedding!

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yup, this for us too. I'm not really a cake person but OH really wanted the traditional cake, so we get both!

• RoseArcana
    RoseArcana ·
    • Hide content

We are also being greedy and having both ? Cheese tower, crackers, breads, sandwich meats etc hopefully! And then cake after - we're doing cake bars (my mum wants fruit cake, my OH wants lemon sponge, my aunt wants chocolate...) as well as a normal 2 tiered sponge for show so there should be plenty of choice. All from M&S to be a bit easier! x

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

We are having both - the cake is the desert and the cheese tower is the evening food along with nibbles, crackers and homemade rhubarb chutney and salads :-)

For evening food it actually works out very reasonable - approx £3 per head!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

We had both. The evening food was a ploughmans buffet of the cheeses served with crusty bread, ham, salads and pickles. 'Twas very well enjoyed by our guests.

Photo in my report.

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

I would LOVE one, but my fiancé doesn't like cheese! He occasionally eats a small amount of mild mozzarella on a pizza, but complains if I have anything strong-smelling like parmesan, so it will be a traditional cake for us.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics