Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

AmnesiaCustard
Beginner June 2011

Chest pains

AmnesiaCustard, 29 of August of 2013 at 10:46 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

Ok medics

Sitting at work this morning (very stressed) I experienced some severe chest pains that came on very suddenly. No other heart attack" symptoms, just nasty squeezing pain in centre of chest, behind sternum.

Now bearing in mind that my heart valves, blood vessels etc were declared lovely a couple of years ago, and I have a minor electrical prob with heart,

WHAT IS IT?

Apart from heart, what could it be?

16 replies

Latest activity by Helenia, 29 of August of 2013 at 18:52
  • loadsagifts
    Beginner January 2012
    loadsagifts ·
    • Hide content
  • Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

AC I'm no doctor but if you've got a problem already with your heart and you've been having chest pains I think you should be seen really. Could be nothing but it might be something. Hope you are okay xxx

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

Acid reflux / gallstones. First time I had a gallstone attack, I literally thought I was having a heart attack. Crushing pains in the sternum. Not at all what you expect! Have you eaten anything acidy or fatty?

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

(PS. Gallstones / reflux can be exacerbated by stress)

• KittenCake
    Beginner May 2013
    KittenCake ·
    • Hide content

I get stress related palpitations and also occasional short sharp chest pains that go along with them. Having said that, as it is your heart it is probably worth ringing up NHS direst to see what they say about it. They were really helpful the other day when my husband called about a stomach bug he was having problems with.

• Twiga
    Beginner April 2012
    Twiga ·
    • Hide content

Also not a medic but I would try calling NHS direct (does it still exist??) or try to get an appointment with your Dr today considering you have a minor problem with your heart. It's probably stress-related (sorry to hear you are stressed) but better to be safe than sorry.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like a panic attack or stress to me. As others have said then l think you should go to NHS Direct or your GP to have it checked out. Hope you are feeling better soon.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Given your history, I'd get it checked out. But it sounds like anxiety/onset of panic attack. How long did it last?

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Lasted 10 or 15 mins. Much better now, just slight tight feeling where it was. More to the right.

Possible gallstones I suppose (passed a couple of those in the past - bit painful!). I didn't know they could be made worse by stress though.

On hols next week so if I can just struggle through today and tomorrow (and get my organisational budget agreed by the CEO hence the stress) I'll be ok.

Thanks for replies and suggestion. Much appreciated.

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

Are you on any medication? If so could you have eaten/drunk anything that is affecting it. Sounds weird but I recently learnt that ginger can make people on blood thinning medication have heart palpitations.

Definitely worth a call to NHS Direct though.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Exactly with the NHS Direct response. I really don't want to be whisked off to some London hospital (unless Helenia is on duty in A & E) and my GP is virtually impossible to get an appointment with. And is 50 miles from work (yeah, I know...)

To answer the other questions (this is like Guess Who?)

Not on any medication.

A bit hard to breathe but more I was just very cautious of doing anything really but sitting tight and telling my colleague!

Perhaps I should take an aspirin anyway.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

It doesn't feel at all like the SVT. I've had a lot more of that recently (I'm putting that down to stress) but this was definitely different.

I'll keep an eye on it! X

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

I don't normally post in ot but I've been having chest pains the last 24 hours. It comes in waves where I can't take a deep breath as it aggravates the pain. God knows! I googled (why?!!) and it sounds like mild pleurisy to me haha! I called my gp and he said to take ibuprofen/paracetamol and if I still have it in the morning to get an appointment!

Hope you're ok x

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Only just got to this, sorry - I'm on nights atm!

I hope it's got better by now. It doesn't sound like a classic heart attack, and could easily be stress/panic attack related or lots of other things. But if it keeps happening, it's definitely worth seeing your GP about; and if it comes on and doesn't go away, go to A&E. Fingers crossed it's nothing though!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics