Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Chief Bridesmaid - When you have a sister?

8 August, 2012 at 16:00 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi,

If you have a sister, should they automatically be your chief bridesmaid?

I would love her to be of course, but at the same time - I think my best friend would be able to organise a hen doo that is more 'me' than my sister would.

15 replies

Latest activity by Agouti, 9 August, 2012 at 13:15
  • C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

I had a bit of an issue with this, one amazing friend and one sister. I decided I wouldn't choose between them, so have them both as simply BMs. No CB/MOH. I've explained why to them both and they're happy with it! If I *had* to choose, I'd have gone with my sister just because my friend would understand better than her, but I wouldn't have wanted to do that. So I didn't!

This way, there's no noses put out of joint and they get to do the tasks that are best suited to their personalities/abilities.

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

In my opinion, CB/MOH is just a title, so if you're having more BMs but want to elevate them above the others, you could have them BOTH as CBs?

• misselle
    Beginner July 2013
    misselle ·
    • Hide content

My sister is my MOH but my bestfriend who is a BM is organising my Hen night because she knows better what i would like and my sister isnt very organised at all to be honest. I think its more of a title than anything else

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

My sister, my best friend and my SIL are BMs and my sister keeps referring to my best friend as CBM so I guess thats it sorted without me having to get involved! Lucky me Smiley smile

my best mate is organising the hen do with input from the other two!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

It depends how close you are to them - I don't think it's essential.

I get on really well with my sister, but there's a 4 year age gap and we didn't see much of each other once we were both at uni, so she was not as close to me as some of my uni friends. She was a BM, but not chief BM, and was not upset about this at all.

I guess it all depends on your own relationship with your sister and who the alternative would be.

• B
    Beginner December 2012
    Beckii Cruel ·
    • Hide content

It is not the must thing, you can make your good friend as your bridesmaid, you can also have two bridesmaids, in China, when the famous star get married, there are always 3 or 4 bridesmaids and best men.

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEA2012 ·
    • Hide content

I think it probably depends on how close you are, both as friends but maybe also in age? I have 2 sisters and they are both my bridesmaids but my best friend is my chief bridesmaid, she knows me better than my sisters do really and although I get on really well with both my sisters they are 7 and 10 years younger than me and so maybe this is why they are not as close to me as my best friend?

• A
    Beginner June 2014
    Ashlili ·
    • Hide content

My Best friend is going to be my MOH, I trust her more than my sister. My sister is going to be a BM alogn with my ocusin. She's fine with it and don't think she would want to be that heavily invovled (she is only 15 will be17 when we get married).

• Flukey35
    Beginner July 2013
    Flukey35 ·
    • Hide content

My unmarried sis is my CB and my married bestie is my MOH, I then have 3 BM's and a flower girl, not sure if you can have both at the same time and don't care if you shouldn't.

It's only a title (albeit an important one as far as I'm concerned, as I've been CB in the past and loved it).

xxx

• Flukey35
    Beginner July 2013
    Flukey35 ·
    • Hide content

Well I always thought - and I may be waaaay off the mark here - a CB was your unmarried friend or relative and if they were married they became your MOH, I've not heard you can't have both and I don't want it that way anyway.

It means no one is left out or feeling 2nd best and as our wedding is in a marquee in a back garden with a hog roast and no waiting on staff (we want a more BBQ/party atmosphere), all the bridal party will be serving drinks, (taking turns behind the bar), serving canapes before the hog roast, having a turn on the DJ decks and doing the decorating the night before so there is a fair amount of stuff for everyone to do.

Oh and sorting the hen night of course ha ha.

I also want the other BM going in front of me in the church and CB & MOH behind me (the way they always have been awwwww).

Good luck hun.

xx

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

A "regular" BM can organise your Hen do too, it's not a law that your CB has to do it.

• SuperDuff
    Beginner November 2013
    SuperDuff ·
    • Hide content

I don't have a CBM. My sister and best friend are both bridesmaids. I don't think I'm going to have a CBM to be honest.

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content

I have a sister and she just did a reading in a colour coordinated dress and my 19 yr old daughter was my "chief bridesmaid" as the other 3 were aged 13, 10 & 3 and I had no MOH. My friends who didn't come to the wedding (it was very small family wedding) organised my hen do.

There are no rules that I ever found or stuck to saying you have to have this person with that title and nothing in the (non existent) rules that say you can't have your friend organise you hen do

If family politics are involved call you sister your MOH and then your friend can be CBM and get her to do the hen do

HTH ?

• Agouti
    Beginner September 2013
    Agouti ·
    • Hide content

You don't have to have a chief bridesmaid / maid of honour. I'm not having one - I have 4 bridesmaids and they'll each be given something to do but will all be equal. You could maybe ask your sister to do a reading or be a witness as well if you want her to stand out?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics