Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner October 2007

Child with extreme fear / phobia of dogs - where do I go for help?

Bridget F, 24 of May of 2009 at 16:51 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

Hi

We've just spent the most stressful couple of hours out on a walk with my daughter who's 5 and my son. Daughter has always been fearful of dogs and it has been getting noticeably worse over the last year but this afternoon was really the worst. Even if she sees a dog in the distance she becomes really distressed, starts screaming and shaking and at one point made herself sick. She also almost disappeared over a precipice rather than face a little scotty dog on a lead. It seems she can't hear me at all - we've tried breathing it away, we've tried rationalising it - nothing gets through to her.

She's never had a 'bad' experience with dogs but is generally wary of all animals but can tolerate the existence around her of anything other than dogs. Someone we met out today suggested therapy dogs which I'm looking at but I'm not really sure that at the moment we would even get her into a room with a dog regardless of its temperament and my feeling is that we need some more heavy duty help with this.

What would be the right course of action? GP, health visitor, therapy of some sort. I'm completely destroyed by this afternoon and sitting in tears at the horror we (including her!) have experienced and I feel so sorry for my son who had his afternoon outing cut short. It quite obviously can't continue.

Does anyone have any advise of any other organisations or routes to try?

many thanks

5 replies

Latest activity by Bridget F, 24 of May of 2009 at 19:04
  • clair_de_lune
    Beginner
    clair_de_lune ·
    • Hide content

I know that hypnotherapy can be of use for adults with phobias, I'm not sure how effective this can be with children. Could be worth getting the advice of your gp as there may be help available to her if it's affecting her life.

• Hullabaloo
    Beginner January 2008
    Hullabaloo ·
    • Hide content

I know Pets as Therapy definitely do phobia work, but I'm not sure how it gets started if you see what I mean? I only do the normal visiting bit.

Might be worth giving them a ring and asking - they could tell you how people get directed to them, be it via GP, counseller etc. I'm sure there must be a lot of work goes on before they get to the 'meeting the dog' stage, but it shouldn't be too hard to work backwards from PAT. I'm sure there must be an organisation that just works with PAT for the final stages when they then need the right types of dogs to carry on the work that's already been done.

They're very lovely, it's a tiny head office. https://petsastherapy.org/

• B
    Beginner February 2008
    Boop ·
    • Hide content

Speak to your GP. I know someone in a friend of a friend way who's got a Pets as Therapy dog that she uses in her work with people with phobias - she's a psychologist / therapist-type. I can never remember which is the right term but she's a medically qualified doctor and she works priviately and in the NHS.

This is quite clearly damaging your family's quality of life and your GP should be able to help.

• Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content

Simple phobia - see your GP for referral to CAMHS for CBT via a psychologist

• B
    Beginner October 2007
    Bridget F ·
    • Hide content

Thank you very much everyone. I will try the GP - not sure if they're open tomorrow but if not will try for Tuesday.

I've just been talking with a friend who used to work in CAMHS (and it's only when you mentioned it Rache that I made the connection!) and she says to ask for Tier 3 CAMHS referral..

Fingers crossed that it helps!

Thanks again.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics