Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner September 2014

Children at weddings - What are your venues rules?

GLOBRIDE, 12 of August of 2013 at 13:48 Posted on Planning 0 14

Interested to hear about what the rules or restrictions are for children at your venue?

We have recently included a clause in our wedding contract to stipulate that if there are more than 10 children then a supervision service must be provided (creche for example). This was due to regular damage being caused by children running around after dark in the gardens with little supervision as parents were enjoying themselves.

Unfortunately as with all these things its the minority that spoil things for the majority, but having had a near miss when a child nearly fell from a tree during a reception, because his mother was too drunk to supervise him properly, it was necessary action to take.

I would be interested to hear what other venues do/don't do.

14 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 13 of August of 2013 at 19:13
  • Lommel
    Beginner August 2014
    Lommel ·
    • Hide content

We don't have any restrictions. We just need to let them know how many are coming and how many are babies so that they can get nappies, wipes, high chairs etc prepared.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

We had nearly 20 kids at our wedding, 15 of which were under 12. Our venue had no rules on this matter and I'm not sure I would have booked with one that did - purely for the financial aspect.

We did hire childminders for during the ceremony but this was our choice (venue marriage licence couldn't seat everyone so by having childminders for the under 12s we could still invite everyone).

As our wedding was noon until midnight, it would have cost a fair whack to have a creche for 12 hours.

• becca030713
    Beginner June 2014
    becca030713 ·
    • Hide content

Our venue has no restrictions however one of our "top venues" when we were looking had the same rule regarding children.

I found it very off putting to be honest. I don't like the idea of paying for other people's babysitters (and I have children myself)!

Obviously the safety issue is very important though, I'd like to think none of my guests would get drunk and forget their kids. Why don't they leave the kids at home with a babysitter? that's what OH and I would do or one of us would stay sober.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I don't think my venue had an official "no child policy", but they certainly didn't go out of their way to provide for them. No highchairs, no baby changing, not the remotest consideration for child safety in the decor (no grills at the fireplaces, lots of glass, lots of sharp pokey candlesticks etc). I think their attitude might be summed up by "gentle discouragement" Smiley smile

Suited us fine though!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Ours doesn't have any rules regarding children, just people in general and that everyone should be behaving appropriately etc. Parents responsibility I think.
    Our son will probably be the only child at ours so we won't have to worry about that anyway.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

There are no restrictions at our venue- unless anyone in the family asks, in which case there is a strict "over 18's only" policy ?

*Genuine question as i've never come across anywhere that does this before*

How does it work? Is there an age limit on the children who must be supervised? & what would happen if a parent (or indeed parents) objected on the day to their child being supervised by a stranger? Would they be asked to leave? I have so many questions!

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

The only thing our venue say about children is that two children count as one adult in terms of cost. That's it. I'm surprised they have something like that - I thought it would be up to the individuals. That said, I'm sure the parents will welcome it!

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

Our venue had a children's room! Sofas, books, DVD player, TC, games, rocking horse, toys, chairs...it was wonderful! The children loved it, and parents knew they were fully entertained. The venue request that children are supervised in there, but they didn't mind that most of the day/evening children were in there on their own.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

My venue doesn't have any rules. I on the other hand.....

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    MrsB2013 ·
    • Hide content

Our venue doesnt have any rules but our wedding is adult only. There was just too many kids and none being in our families so was easier that way and parents can enjoy themselves/drink with no worries about the kids running around

• Dreamysmiles
    Beginner October 2013
    Dreamysmiles ·
    • Hide content

Mine doesn't have any rules. It's an exclusive use venue and once wedding guests arrive the gates are locked so kids can roam free in gardens without pants worrying also te large room at the front won't be getting used for our ceremony so we are thinking of having a movies theme and hiring screen and projector and play classic and new kids films all day plus hiring a popcorn machine Smiley smile that will along with their board games (maybe adult size bouncy castle) keep them busy xx

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I've heard of venues doing this too. Although not that many.

I think kids only become a problem when they are left and expected to behave themselves unsupervised. I've seen weddings with the. most. well. behaved. kids ever.

Then others where it all fell apart and St Johns Ambulance were called... In one case I ended up being the one stemming the blood from the childs eye which fortunately turned out to be just a scratched eyeball from a temperature spike which another kid had 'acquired' because the parents were letting them run free.

To this day I've never forgotten just how traumatic that was and I doubt I will. Most outstanding in my mind was the little girl reaching out for her mum, (who was in pieces) crying 'wuddle'.

But this was also the mum who was ignoring her and letting her run around the tables at full speed. (shrugs)

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I think more venues should have these restrictions.

I'll probably get shot down for this but I think so many parents just don't control their kids any more.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!

my venue- welcomes kids. It even had a room they suggested I could use as a crèche *shudder*

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics