Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Karen84
Beginner July 2016

Children's entertainment

Karen84, 24 of July of 2015 at 14:11 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi all

We're umming and ahhing about whether we should provide some sort of entertainment for the children at our wedding and would really appreciate any suggestions or feedback from experience.

We will have about 15 under 11 at our wedding so I wondered if it would be worth organising a children's entertainer to do a stint while we are having the drinks reception (not as part of the reception IYKWIM, in a separate room close by where parents could keep an eye on them). Alternatively we were thinking about getting a bouncy castle put up in the grounds because then we could have it for the whole day, but I wonder then if the kids would want to keep running back and forth to it when the meal's going on, and then potentially having to drag mum or dad away from their dinners to go with them.

Or should I bother at all? I think in the back of my mind I am conscious that I won't be able to give my own son (who will be nearly 6 by then) my undivided attention for a lot of the day so I think I'm trying to make sure he will still be entertained and enjoy the day, but I digress. Any advice will be gratefully received!

7 replies

Latest activity by SunnyBrownCars246, 29 of July of 2015 at 10:31
  • MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

We decided on giant garden games, a bouncy castle (pray for good weather!) and utilising a room at the venue as a kids room with colouring books and a dvd player for those less inclined to be wild Smiley winking

PRAY for good weather!

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

We did a bouncy castle and colouring books too.

They had the colouring books during the meal to keep them happy so mum & dad could eat. Then they had bubbles given out to entertain them during the speeches. It was then announced the bouncy castle was up and the kids went off to enjoy while everyone had their teas & coffees. Fortunately no one was sick!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Helen, not opening the bouncy castle until after the meal is a good idea, hadn't thought about that.

• Shelly70
    Beginner July 2016
    Shelly70 ·
    • Hide content

At our venue we don't have any additional space for entertaining the kids so we are providing wedding bags for each of them which have colouring books, puzzles,games,stickers,toys etc in which will hopefully keep them entertained during the meal. They can then have bubbles during the speeches.

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsMatson ·
    • Hide content

We had an entertainer for 2 hours and it was the best money we spent. We had 13 kids under 12 all different ages and she did a huge variety of things from parachute games to sleeping lions. The parents didn't have to worry as the entertainment was within the enclosed gardens but near the back so they were out of the way. The kids could come and go but they all loved it so much the parents didn't see them for the whole 2 hours. It was relaxing for all.

I would definitely recommend getting a professional entertainer who is flexible with their entertainment to suit the setting and variety of age ranges.

• Play:Booth
    Beginner January 1999
    Play:Booth ·
    • Hide content

Hi! A Photobooth is a great centre point for kids Smiley smile

• F
    Beginner June 2016
    FutureSamW ·
    • Hide content

I'm a nanny & have done lots of crèche at wedding in the past for a fab company so I knew I needed some kind of entertainment for the kids at my wedding!
    I have brought a bell tent, was cheaper than hiring one & I'm going to fill it with colouring, sticker books, a few snacks & games. Also brought large garden games. We will have bags on the tables with colouring etc in. Our evening entertainment is a photobooth so kids can enjoy that too. I am thinking a DVD player would be good for when it gets late but not really got anywhere to put it.
    I don't get married until June but with my job I've been worrying about what the kids will do! Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    SunnyBrownCars246 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Our wedding on sunday has a bouncy castle and giant garden games also each child has an gift bag with a activity book with colouring and wordsearches etc the bag also has puzzles and stickers and sweets.

I am also having a caricature artist coming after the breakfast and that usually attracts attention.

I would like to have a corner of the reception room as a play area ( not sure if I have space thou)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics