Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*libby*
Beginner June 2011

Childrens reading.

*libby*, 20 April, 2011 at 21:49 Posted on Planning 0 8

My 7 year old son wants to do a reading at our wedding (civil ceremony) which Id love but im finding it difficult to find something suitable for a child and not too long.

I did have one but cant find it now, it was about what a wedding day is, things like you dress up smart and don't wear jeans, all your family are there even cousins you never see and your aunties says haven't you grown! There the only random bits I can remember now! Anyone know the one i'm on about?

Has anyone come across any others that are good?

Thanks

8 replies

Latest activity by cassmk2, 28 April, 2011 at 21:05
  • knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

My SIL had her 8 year old read this extract from the Velveteen Rabbit. Was lovely:

Extract from
    the The Velveteen Rabbit

Margery Williams (****)

‘What is REAL?’ asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. ‘Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?’ ‘Real isn’t how you are made,’ said the Skin Horse. ‘It’s a thing that happens to you. When someone loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, buy REALLY loves you, then you become Real.’ ‘Does it hurt? Asked the Rabbit. ‘Sometimes,’ said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. ‘When you are Real you don’t mind being hurt.’ ‘Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,’ he asked, ‘or bit by bit?’ ‘ It doesn’t happen all at once,’ said the Skin Horse. ‘You become. It takes a long time. That’s why it doesn’t happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly, except to people who don’t understand.’ ‘I suppose you are real?’ said the Rabbit. And then he wished he had not said it, for he thought the Skin Horse only smiled. ‘Someone made me Real,’ he said. ‘That was a great many years ago; but once you are Real you can’t become unreal again. It lasts for always.’

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I found that one randomly today, this should be the link:

http://www.weddingmagazine.co.uk/receptions_more.php?id=75

If not then search for humourous wedding reading on google, it was the first link.

Another shortish one that showed up mentioned Winnie the Pooh so could work from a child (depending on the tone of your wedding):

http://www.weddingmagazine.co.uk/receptions_more.php?id=62

Another one which you could take an extract from that seems really light-hearted but long:

http://www.itakeyou.co.uk/wedding-ideas/wedding-readings-poems/i-like-you.htm

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

Knitting_vixen, that reading was lovely and it made me cry a little.

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

Jules.40 I am sitting at my desk welling up, that is just so cute!!!!! I may have to steal that for my wedding

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

my 11 year old niece is reading this at our wedding I love it, makes me cry every time I read it. x

• *libby*
    Beginner June 2011
    *libby* ·
    • Hide content

Oh thank you, this was it! Think it was a bit different and you change the names

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    cassmk2 ·
    • Hide content

This is really nice Libby. I think i may use it for my 12 year old son to read. A few adaptations will be needed but it could work perfectly.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics