Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

loobyg
Beginner November 2008

chimney sweeps...

loobyg, 5 of October of 2012 at 13:45 Posted on Planning 0 23

Afternoon ladies!

As an old married I am usually found on the baby talk board these days but I was hoping you lovely lot could assist me with a bit of market research! My husband has recently set up as a chimney sweep and one of the services he is offering is wedding attendance.

For anyone who does know (as I didn't until a few weeks ago!), it is thought to be good luck for the bride to see a chimney sweep on her wedding day for the reasoning see here). We are just testing the water to see how much its worth pushing this side of the business so if anyone has time to answer a few questions it would be greatly appreciated! If this type of post is no longer acceptable over here (not been on this board for almost 4 years!) then just say and I'll delete!

So, my questions are:

1) Prior to this post did you know about the chimney sweep/good luck thing?

2) would you consider having a chimney sweep at your wedding (or have you already booked one!)?

3) how much would you think is a reasonable price?

Thanks ladies

L x

23 replies

Latest activity by ExpensiveOrangeStationery43264, 31 of July of 2019 at 12:08
  • katiechops
    Beginner June 2013
    katiechops ·
    • Hide content

Hi. Ok I'll be brave and honest. I went a wedding and they had a chimney sweep stood at the church so we all saw him on the way out. For me it just looked a bit silly as I don't think that many people knew why he was there. I have no idea what they paid but they were an OTT couple and had every 'quirk' going. If there was a little statue of a chimney sweep near the card box or something I think that would be ok.

My friend is proof that some people do want them though x

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I have heard of them and I love the idea.

I am going to drop hint to my mum and hope she gets me one, but want it to be a surprise Smiley smile

I haven't really looked at price, but as it would only be for a quick hand shake and a photo or two, I wouldn't expect to pay a lot.

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I knew the chimney sweep thing, but the thought hasn't crossed my mind at all....I don't think I would but other's might

• Nicola_84uk
    Beginner October 2013
    Nicola_84uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I had heard of this but only quite recently when another hitcher included it in her wedding report. Sorry I can't remember who it was but I think someone did it as a surprise for her.

I don't think I would consider it for my wedding just because of the cost implications, there are so many other things on my list that would be important.

However if someone did it as a surprise for me it would certainly make me smile. ? I kind of see it as a kiss o gram thing, more like something someone would book for you. That's just my opion though.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

OK, the tradition is that it's good luck if the bride sees the sweep on her way to the church. I have seen some sweeps dress up in victorian type costume for this, and arrange to be along the route somewhere (allow time for a quick photo stop). I wouldn't arrange one myself - I think it's a bit like giving myself a horseshoe, wooden spoon, or any other lucky token. But if I had a daughter and was involved in helping with the wedding, I may well book one for her as a surprise.

So:

1. Yes

2. Not booked for myself, but I would for someone else

3. Given that it would be a very short "appointment" of just a few minutes en route to the church/venue, probably no more than £50. This seems stingy, but a sweep could do several weddings a day and could either work within a smallish area, or charge travelling expenses if necessary.

• loobyg
    Beginner November 2008
    loobyg ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies! Shall pass on the info to hubby!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I had never heard of the whole concept till a few years ago when my SIL got married. A family friend (who also lives in the village where the wedding was held) is a chimney sweep & dressed up for pics outside the church. I dont know what they paid, if anything, but less than £30 I'd say as he was only there 20mins.

- I didnt have one, as couldnt see the point of shelling out money on a superstition

- I think it tends to be the older generation that are even aware of this tradition & most brides under say 30-40 couldnt care less

- When my SIL got married, I kept thinking that all the soot & brushes were going to get on her dress & make a mess

- My SIL has no photos of her & the chimney sweep at her house or anywhere on display, so it obvioulsy didnt make much difference to her

- I'd prefer to spend the money on something else

You could certainly offer this sort of the chimney service on your website, but when you add in the cost of travel & your time, I dont know if people would be bothered.

• Trouble_gb
    Beginner September 2013
    Trouble_gb ·
    • Hide content

HI,

Yes I did know about the good luck tradition.

I would never have one at my wedding ( and have never seen one at any of the weddings I have attended)

TBH the thought of it makes me cringe.

Sorry but it's how I feel.

• loobyg
    Beginner November 2008
    loobyg ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

don't be a sorry! TBH I wouldn't have wanted it at my wedding either, but if people are willing to pay for it then I'm willing to cash in on it - I@m a stay at home mum and as H is self employed we need him to make money wherever he can!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Loobyg: Has hubby tried going to any wedding fayres? I dont know what they charge or even if it would be worth his while, but might bring in a bit more buisiness. Esp as it seems like a quirky thing a MIL/parents might get the wedding couple if he offered a discount for booking on the day.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I had never heard of them having any connection to weddings until I read it on duckys report.

• loobyg
    Beginner November 2008
    loobyg ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I got a quote for £85 plus VAT for a stand, one of the reasons we're tying to work out if its worth pursuing!!

• JonCraven
    JonCraven ·
    • Hide content

In the six years I've been doing Wedding photography I've only ever seen 2 sweeps! Just so you know...

• S
    Beginner October 2013
    Shashawk ·
    • Hide content

Hi Yes i have heard of the chimney sweep thing and i was looking to find out how much one would charge. I wouldnt pay to much but as it would be like some one has said before a hand shake and a couple of photos. I suppose it all depends on how far they would have to drive to get to the bride as to how much they would charge.

Hope this side of your husbands business takes of i think the idea is a great one. Good luck xx

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I would think he best way to promote the wedding side of things would be to have it promoted well on your website so you get a high google standing when people search for it.

Advertising on wedding websites ot having links from them would help too, but I guess you'd have to pay a fee for that.

Out of interest, what is the usual charge for a chimney sweep at a wedding? Does anyone know?

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have seen two in 30 years......

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Yes they were more popular many years ago and even then they were not common.The last one I recall was a real sweep with liveried van, I think a kissagram type thing would be a bit "joky" and if it is the superstition thing then it wouldn't really be the same with a non real one.
    And you do not generally book them yourself, what usually happens as has been mentioned it would come from an older generation, I had the Mum whisper to me and tell me of the surprise that she has arranged. Don't worry about the soot as this will be (should be) make up/ black paint and not real.
  • I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I became vaguely aware of it recently for the first time. It's not something that would interest me personally, as find the idea a bit gimmicky.

I agree that I wouldn't want to pay more than about £50, so with travel expenses, it could add up to a bit too much.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

1. I had never heard of this tradition. However I must add that it does sound like it's an older generation tradition and neither of my grandparents are around to tell me it plus I'm only in my late twenties.

2. Personally I wouldn't hire one but then I think this is because I had never heard of it and I think a lot of my guests might not 'get it'.

3. £50 maximum I think. Just because as others have said it's a small part of the day and a token thought.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bit late to the party but same as Funky.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

They were quite popular in the 60's. I was a bridesmaid several times when I was younger for various cousins of mine and a few of them had chimney sweeps turn up but in those days, we still did have chimney sweeps as we all had coal fires so they looked authentic rather than being 'dressed up' . It seemed to disappear out of tradition in the 70's though. No idea what they would charge now - it was probably about 10 shillings in the 60's LOL!!

• H
    HappyIvoryCars1195 ·
    • Hide content

Hi My Daughter is getting married in September and I am looking for a chimney sweep to attend is anyone on here available if so can you give me a quote please the wedding is in Hertfordshire

Thank You in Advance

• H
    HappyIvoryCars1195 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Is there a Chimney Sweep available on the 1/9/18 in Hertfordshire if so can you please give me a quote

Thanks

• E
    Beginner July 2008
    ExpensiveOrangeStationery43264 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hello everyone,,

I had heard of this but only quite recently when another hitcher included it in her wedding report. Sorry I can't remember who it was but I think someone did it as a surprise for her.
    I don't think I would consider it for my wedding just because of the cost implications, there are so many other things on my list that would be important.
    However if someone did it as a surprise for me it would certainly make me smile. Big Smile I kind of see it as a kiss o gram thing, more like something someone would book for you. That's just my opion though.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics