Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Missus S

China/copy dresses flash

Missus S, 26 January, 2011 at 11:26 Posted on Planning 0 12

Following a few posts about the china or copy dresses, im seriously considering getting one, but i would reeeeeeeeally appreciate it if anyone who has had one would flash or tell me their experiences?

Thanks xxxx

12 replies

Latest activity by MrsShark, 27 January, 2011 at 14:03
  • Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I was considering it but heard a few horror stories, one of which was that a lady just got a box full of cut fabric which she was then meant to put together herself! lol.

I also heard that the quality of the corsertry can be really poor - folding in the middle etc, but I think if you are happy enough then go for it. I wanted the Amy Michelson - Grace gown (the original was £3000-ish and the copy was £125!).

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

I got my dress from ASAPBay - and its beautiful and amazing! Ill flash tomorrow when ive have my hair trial and ive put everything together Smiley smile x

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

<my reply from a previous post>

THere are many "China" dresses to be had, not least on ebay - but you should do your research on the best ones, there are some really bad ones out there!

I got mine from LandyBridal (also knowns as asapbay on Ebay) and they are fabulous! A few other Hitchers got there's from there too - Natty89 & Grace85 to name a few.

Other Hitchers of days gone by have got there's from Your Bridal Wear and i'm not sure about wedding dresses, but I know a fair few used Ligh In the Box for bridesmaid dresses.

I'd highly recommend Landy. The service was great and the quality of the dress is amazing! My dress was satin and the fabric was heavy with internal boning and corsetry. The seamstress skills are great.

One thing to note about any of these "China" companies, they show you the designer picture rather than their own, however due to copyright there will be some subtle differences in the dress. But then this is the same for high street shops who copy designer dresses or jewellry makers. And of course if you want to add extra sparkle to your dress then you can always get a seamtress in this country to add extra details for you,

Good luck!

And here are the pics of my dress...

• grace85
    Beginner February 2011
    grace85 ·
    • Hide content

As Geordie said i'm another Landy bride and i LOVE my dress!!

I would say tho if you are going to order from China use one of the better known companies such as Landy or Light in the Box, i brought a dress from a seller on Ebay and had to send it back twice as it was wrong, in the end i got a refund and went to Landy.

Their customer service is brilliant, i must have asked about a thousand questions before i ordered and they answered every one. They even emailed me twice to check the measurements i had supplied them.

The lady that is doing my minor alterations here (just the length needs taking up) has said how beautifully made it is and the quality is brilliant.

Obviously it's not indentical to the designer one but it's damn near good enough for me.

Here's my dress before the alterations were done.

• SusieWong
    Beginner September 2011
    SusieWong ·
    • Hide content

Personally i would be extremly careful after my experiance with indesigngown.com if u search it on here my posts should appear, or even google it its on mse forum with photos,

just do ALOT of research and cover yourself by paying with a credit card better still through paypal

good luck.xxx

• Annakarin
    Beginner May 2011
    Annakarin ·
    • Hide content

I'm considering purchase my wedding dress online as well..

• tmr1234
    Beginner June 2011
    tmr1234 ·
    • Hide content

This was my 2nd dress i got from china it was really well made but just to short for me and it just didnt suit me

• justpeachy81
    Beginner October 2011
    justpeachy81 ·
    • Hide content

I got mine from Asapbay (landy) and found them really, really helpful and quick too. I just sent them a pic of the style of dress I wanted and then paid for some lace samples ($20, with me in 3 days) - picked the lace, sent off my measurements and had my dress about 3.5 weeks later.

here are some pics below (which i asked them to send me before they shipped my dress - in case there was something obviously wrong with the dress I could get them to change/fix so I didn't have to send it back)...

I absolutely love my dress (the original was £1700) and am so glad I took the risk on getting this one made!

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

After first falling in love with a Jenny Packham dress (but could never afford, even second hand!), then going back to the drawing board and finding a Annasul Y dress I loved as much (but cannot find anywhere!) I am seriously considering this option and am currently scouring the Landy website….but will also email them with the possibility of doing as you did justpeachy, as yours is just stunning!!

• justpeachy81
    Beginner October 2011
    justpeachy81 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, I love it Smiley smile I think the main thing with going for this option is that you need to be the type of person who is ok with some details being a bit different to the original dress. The original of my dress (Augusta Jones, Ali) has a higher, scalloped neckline. Landy said that they would be able to do this no bother however the lace they've used didn't come with a scalloped edge so they've 'created' a scallop - I actually quite like the look of it, so am quite happy. But if something like that would bother you then I would think more about whether to go down the Landy route ?

My advice would be to send them lots of photos from the internet (including close up's of important details), making it really clear what you want. I did this and they came back to me within a few hours with a price (think it was about £220, including super quick delivery).

Good luck!!

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

Thanks! I have just emailed them with photos, but will send them more....it is great to know that they send you the photos of the finished dress before they send it!

:-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics