Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MacyLil

Chocolate Cake instead of Wedding Cake??

MacyLil, 3 of February of 2012 at 15:33 Posted on Planning 0 13

So I'm a sucker for chocolate cake and I'm seriously, and I mean seriously, considering getting a chocolate wedding cake Smiley smile

Anyone got any experience here??

13 replies

Latest activity by Anna, 23 of November of 2020 at 08:54
  • T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Every wedding I've been to (inc my own) had chocolate cake. It's no big deal.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Do you mean chocolate on the inside as opposed to fruit?

In which case yes - its normal now to have non fruit flavours and some makers do an amazing range of flavours.

Or do you mean one of these type chocolate cakes (which we almost went for) (the ones with ruffles in the first link are chocolate inside, and white chocolate decoration):

http://www.butterfliesandangels.co.uk/gallery.html

http://www.choccywoccydoodah.com/category/Weddings/Wedding+Cakes

(UI can recommend chocolate cakes from both these places!)

These also aren't that unusual anymore, and they are damn impressive!!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I hate fruit cake. So I'm not spending a couple of hundred quid on something we both dislike.

Many places will make a chocolate sponge, and chocolate buttercream or ganache filling, but cover with white iceing if you still wanted it to look weddingy?

Mine is just chocolate coloured though.

• G
    Beginner August 2014
    GFH ·
    • Hide content

Im considering a 3 tier traditional style cake with a modern twist. Each layer i wanted to do different small fruit, medium white chocolate and large section chocolate cake. Keep everyone happy that way and more of a variety too Smiley smile

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Loads of people have chocolate cake nowadays - Mine was 4 tier - fruit, chocolate, madeira & lemon.

The lemon & chocolate were baked as slabs & kept in back kitchen. Instead 2 fake tiers were used in my cake (along with the fruit & madeira which were white iced). We just had to remember to cut into a real cake layer! Worked well, looked impressive & no one knew any different.

• Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

The only problem with chocolate cake is that all the guests will go and eat it ?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

As everyone else said - chocolate is really common for wedding cakes these days.

Mine will be a bottom tier of chocolate and two tiers of lemon sponge.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Yep! My bottom tier will be chocolate. I'd rather have no cake at all than not have chocolate ?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I am having 2 tiers of vanilla, 1 chocolate and 1 lemon, I think it is the norm to have what you want these days.

• starstruck-
    starstruck- ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding cake was a 3 tier chocolate sponge with chocolate icing, and chocolate cream in the middle, with fresh red roses:

• D
    Beginner August 2013
    debs35 ·
    • Hide content

The only problem with chocolate cake is that all the guests will go and eat it ?

Damn yes hadnt thought of that!! Me and OH are both chocaholics so no doubt at least one tier will be chocolate!!

• J
    jules40 ·
    • Hide content

I make a lot of chocolate wedding cakes here are a few ...

• hopefulmum2b
    Beginner August 2012
    hopefulmum2b ·
    • Hide content

Im having one of each....bottom fruit middle chocolate and top normal sponge. Smiley smile

its alot more common these days...i too hate fruit cake...but i know some people do like fruit. x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics