Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

daisymoo86
Beginner July 2016

Chocolate fountain problems....

daisymoo86, 15 of May of 2014 at 09:04 Posted on Planning 0 9

I have recently booked a great package where I get chair covers, table decorations, favours, candy cart, post box, popcorn machine, photobooth and a chocolate fountain for our wedding in 2016.

My mum has since been looking at some papers from our venue and somewhere on there it says that they do not allow a chocolate fountain from anyone except their preferred supplier due to health and safety reasons. Has anyone heard of this before?

I sort of want to play innocent to it and only mention to the venue nearer the time that we have booked this chocolate fountain etc. The thing is we are getting it from a company who has won awards in the area and is ranked top for the midlands for their services so I am pretty sure they would meet health and safety standards. I just wonder if its a rule to get us to use their preferred supplier?

9 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 15 of May of 2014 at 23:17
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Hmm...it may be to fix it for the preferred supplier. However, in the case of choccy fountains there are other issues, more likely to do with guest supervision and potential mess. In legal terms any decent provider with PL & PI insurance should do. I know that some venues have been left with carpet cleaning costs when the staff have not adequately supervised the guests.

I remember arriving at Woodlands Hotel in Leeds for a wedding and their marquee floor was covered in chocolate from the previous night's wedding. The choccy fountain people were supposed to have continuously manned the stand but they set it up and left.

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Ah yeah, never thought of that before. However, I know that there will definatley be staff with the fountain cos we have the photbooth from them too and that has to be manned also. So I have been told we will be given 2 members of staff to look after it all. I think I am just going to wait to closer to the time and mention to my venue we have booked this as part of a package etc.

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

I think you should talk to the venue, otherwise you run the risk of not having the chocolate fountain at all. Telling them now would enable them to talk to the people you have booked it with to find out about their health and safety and what the set up would be.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I would talk to the venue now as I'd want to know if it was going to be an issue. Are you particularly wanting a choc fountain or is it just because it's part of the package? If the latter, then perhaps you could discuss with that supplier to see if they would swap it for something else.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Talk to your venue sooner rather than later. They are within their rights to say you've read the contract and signed it, you can't use anyone else.

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

I know if we wanted to use a different supplier than our venues preferred supplier we would have to pay an additional charge of a couple hundred quid. I would mention it to them now and see where you stand while you still have time to negotiate.

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys I will have a chat with them.

I am not too fussed either way whether we have the fountain or not, we bought it more cos it was a great offer of everything for £400. I am sure the company would swap the fountain for something else if we cant have it as we have already swapped about some of the other bits of the offer.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Therein may lay the problem. photobooths can be time consuming and easily take two people.....in this case, who then is manning the choccy fountain?

Posts re fountains were very regular up until a couple of years ago....although they still have a place, they are not as regular at weddings as they once were....

Peter

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Photo booths are the new chocolate fountains

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics