Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

WeddingPrincess
Beginner June 2010

Chocolate Fountains: Tacky or Tasteful??

WeddingPrincess, 28 August, 2009 at 16:30 Posted on Planning 0 15

As the title suggests...

When I first started planning I was absolutely convinced that I wanted one having seen one at a friends wedding and loved it. However...now I am not so sure. There is no particular reason for the change of heart I am just not as struck by the idea.

Anyway, I though I would to you Hitchers for some opinions. What do you think of them? Has anyone had one at their wedding? Any pics to post?

Answers on a postcard...I wont be offended if you think they're awful..pinky promise!!

15 replies

Latest activity by Sherrie H, 29 August, 2009 at 17:12
  • Amethyst
    Beginner October 2010
    Amethyst ·
    • Hide content

I think they might be a bit tacky but that isn't my problem with them!

I just don't think a large amount of goooey chocolate + tipsy guests + children + white dress = more mess than it's worth! Also the quality of the choc isn't supposed to be great - they put a bucket of oil into those machines.

So I say no!

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS. Too much risk of chocolate on very expensive wedding dress!

• Beccy Sprout
    Beginner
    Beccy Sprout ·
    • Hide content

IMO Tacky. sorry.

• kelly29
    Beginner May 2009
    kelly29 ·
    • Hide content

A bit tacky IMO.

Although I've made it a mission to always try them at wedding fairs (free food n'all) I've never actually tried one that tastes like chocolate.

If you want a choc-fest I'd go for a chocolate buffet with little cupcakes and things instead.

• pink alien
    Beginner May 2008
    pink alien ·
    • Hide content

Not tasteful but tasty!!! I know other people don't like them, but I had one and everyone loved it! If you want one - have it! If you don't, then don't!

• FutureMrsCover
    Beginner May 2011
    FutureMrsCover ·
    • Hide content

I think they are great, had them in vip tent after the race for life this year and i spent all evening by them, soooooo goooood, best bit of the night 2BH! who cares if some people think they are tacky, a wedding isnt a show of how classy you can be, to me its about celebrating and having fun so do whatever you feel, i personally like a bit of tack?

only problem could be aforementioned dress, maybe you could invest in a super tacky apron or something, lol

x

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

We wanted one, well h2b really did but thinking realistically about it we didnt think it would work so well, then we saw one at a wedding fair and people were trying it and the chocolate was dripping everywhere, as people were moving it out the fountain it was going all over the table and down peoples fronts, I think the idea is lovely but maybe more suited to a party, as opposed to a wedding with lots posh frocks!

Saw your post about your honeymoon the other day but hitched was to slow to post back! Congrats!

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Not my cup of cocoa but - Who cares?! if you want one - have it! my OH loves these things and if he insisted on it we would have got one. watch out for those choc drippings though.....

• C
    Beginner September 2009
    cobbsandkisses ·
    • Hide content

Good Morning

I have to admit that were having one. I tried it at a wedding fayre and the chocolate was divine...really chocolatey, just coated the inside of your mouth....mmmmmmmm.

The company that I went with send two operatives with the fountain for the evening...so it doesnt turn into a free for all....so no chocolate on ivory dress misshaps.

We have a chocolate wedding cake too that we are serving to our guests...my cbm wants to dip that in there....I cna see a loat of sugar loaded guests on the 11th September....roll on....wooooooo hoooooo.

Go for it if you want one...but have a good look around and find a reputable company.

HTH

T

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

We are having two - one milk, one white. We wanted a formal wedding breakfast and more of a party atmosphere for the evening reception and I think this will go down a treat!

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

They used to be really popular a few years ago, now i only see them occasionally. As for the oil put in....that varies with the operator. Of course, the DJ usually gets to sample, and the quality of the chocolate varies greatly from supplier to supplier, so taste before you book. The ones I've seen have always looked amazing, being well presented and having the wow factor. Someone has already picked up on the mess factor..........I've seen children running round the dance floor smeared in chocolate and lovely little hand prints on white dresses etc. The best one I saw was where the two operators prepared kebabs ( made up of profiterols, marshmallows and fruit) and did the deed, put them on a plate with a napkin for guests, which results in less mess. I think the mess arises when people can do it themselves.....especially children.

I personally don't think they are tacky at all......but there are pros and cons that have to be weighed up.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Personally I don't like them but don't think they are tacky. All of the ones I've tasted have not resumed chocolate at all which is why I don't like them much. I also think they are a waste of money but if you want to spend your money on them then go for it, everyone has different priorities but I'd have rather paid for my guests to have a another course at the meal, more options at the buffet etc than on a novelty.

• Weather Girl
    Beginner October 2009
    Weather Girl ·
    • Hide content

I personally don't like them but having said that I haven't tried one! As PG said, everyone has different priorities and I would rather spend the money on something else to be honest.

• WeddingPrincess
    Beginner June 2010
    WeddingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

Sorry for the delayed reply guys, was out last night and this morning!

Greatly appreciate all the opinions and you have raised alot of things to think about and consider (mess, children, quality etc.) I am still on the fence but OH and I are going to a wedding fayre at our venue soon so think I will just wait until then and maybe have a little tasting sesh mmmm and make a decision based on what I see on the day!

As a few people have also said...I too do actually quite like a bit of tack! Was also considering the sweetie table option after seeing some fab examples on here but OH not convinced...I might do some more research and work on that! Anyway, I'll let you know my decision when it is made.

Once again, muchas gracias for the replies!

Oh btw...thanks Moya! Really excited about HM!!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Don't like them one bit, especially when the white chair covers & table cloths we have washed & ironed come back covered in chocolate, marshmallow & strawberry stains that take 2 days to soak off!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics