Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

nicholsonsgems

Chocolate Wedding Cake or Traditional

nicholsonsgems, 7 February, 2011 at 18:50 Posted on Planning 0 22

I've just seen the most fabulous wedding cake. I saw it in our local Betty's Cafe & Tea Rooms and if you know Betty's you'll know the cakes - not just the wedding ones - are fab.

This one was chocolate cake and covered with hand made, delicate chocolate swirls. It really looked too good to cut and at £550 I think I'd want to look at it a little while before it was demolished.

I was just wondering what was the preferred wedding cake: chocolate or traditional fruit cake - or something different again.

22 replies

Latest activity by tinks269, 7 February, 2011 at 21:16
  • xsammix
    Beginner February 2011
    xsammix ·
    • Hide content

I'm having three tiers.

The largest is vanilla sponge. The middle is chocolate and the smallest is toffee.

I wanted something a bit different and I hate fruit cake. ?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Mixture!

Neither of us like fruit cake, and we couldn't have it as just the top tier because it's too heavy. So instead we've got (largest to smallest tier):

Chocolate fudge
    Vanilla sponge
    Lemon
    Eggless

then a chocolate cutting cake and a gluten-free cutting cake.

Not sure yet how to serve it to guests... we have 220 people to feed cake to, so it might be a bit of mission to enable them to have a choice (obviously except for the people who need eggless or gluten-free). So either they will have to take what they're given, or we'll have a cake buffet (not too keen on that, as I wanted it to be 'dessert'.)

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

No real answer to be honest - it depends what you both want. Nobody says you have to have a 3 tiered iced fruit cake if you don't want to.

We're having an iced fruit cake, but as I'm not a fan of those we're also having a sponge cake, covered in butter cream, with butterscotch sauce (made from a local supplier to the venue and we both love the stuff, give us a jar and two spoons and we're happy).

• N
    Beginner April 2011
    nat2683 ·
    • Hide content

We are having sponges in different flavours. Lots of weddings have different sponges/ mix of sponge and fruit. Its up to the couple what they like/ think their guests will like!

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

I don't like fruit cake and OH loves chocolate so we will brobb have three teirs - one fruit, one choc and one plain sponge with buttercream - my favourite!

• kirstycat
    Beginner April 2011
    kirstycat ·
    • Hide content

We're having chocolate - one tier of chocolate orange with dark chocolate icing, one tier chocolate with chocolate icing and one layer vanilla with white chocolate icing. And all decorated with milk and white maltesers!

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    arnold2b ·
    • Hide content

Sorry the pics so big!! We are having chocolate on the outside, and have different flavours on the inside, cake tasting next weekend! Feeds 120 for £325 including delivery to the venue which is about 45 mins away. Looks similar to this with 4 tiers

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Well, yeah. Most of our friends don't like fruit cake either and as fruit gives the most slices, having it at the bottom would mean most of the guests would be forced to eat fruit. We would have included fruit cake as the top tier if we could but it wasn't an option and why spend so much money on something we don't even like!

Some of my guests might prefer traditional English food instead of Indian food in the evening... but they're not getting a choice on that one either... you have to draw a line somewhere and say that you're going to have what you like best Smiley smile

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

We're having a plain white iced 3 tier cake made for us, one layer each of vanilla, lemon and chocolate - not decided which we will have the most of yet! I'm also doing a fruit cake myself because I prefer my version (lots of brandy!) ?

• J
    Beginner June 2011
    jen_hhl ·
    • Hide content

I love fruit cake, I dont like choc cake. We are having top and bottom fruit and middle vanilla sponge.

• nicholsonsgems
    nicholsonsgems ·
    • Hide content

MMM, TOFFEE

• nicholsonsgems
    nicholsonsgems ·
    • Hide content

No, no-one does say you have to have a 3 tiered iced fruit cake; I was just wondering what everyone went for these days. I like the sound of all of them and your butterscotch sauce sounds very moreish!

• nicholsonsgems
    nicholsonsgems ·
    • Hide content

I'm always avaible as a tester!

• jenny18/11/11
    Rockstar November 2011
    jenny18/11/11 ·
    • Hide content

Much as I would have loved a chocolate cupcake tower, once we met with the cake lady I could see that OH really wanted a tiered cake, so we've gone for 3 tiers:

Bottom - chocolate

Middle - Lemon

Top - coffee and walnut

All with white chocolate paste - not a fan of icing ?

Figured that having the top tier as the coffee one made sense, as I figure most people would like either chocolate or lemon; whereas coffee flavour was probably likely to be less popular. MOH has already bagsied a slice from each tier ?

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

We're having fruit on the bottom, then vanilla, then chocolate then a small one on top (undecided what flavour yet)

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Save me a bit!! Sounds delicious Smiley smile

We haven't really decided what to have, probably sponge cake as it's lighter than fruit cake, we'll debate the flavour (he likes lemon, I like toffee or vanilla) though will most likely end up with different ones in different layers like other people are doing.

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

I really dont know that much about our cake TBH as OH has taken this as one of his little projects. I do know that we are having no fruits cakes as OH's mum has asked if I would like a small one for a christening cake.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics