Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs Magic
Beginner May 2007

(Christian) Domestic Discipline (sens re abuse?)

Mrs Magic, 23 of April of 2009 at 13:33

Posted on Off Topic Posts 53

Has anyone heard of this? What is your take? After googling a comment from a US user on another forum earlier, I was disturbed by some of the returned results. I've spent much of the morning reading through different websites and I can honestly say I am shocked and saddened at what I have read. From...

Has anyone heard of this? What is your take? After googling a comment from a US user on another forum earlier, I was disturbed by some of the returned results. I've spent much of the morning reading through different websites and I can honestly say I am shocked and saddened at what I have read.

From one website:
Christian Domestic Discipline is practiced only within the bounds of marriage. “A Christian Domestic Discipline marriage is set up according to the guidelines set forth in the Holy Bible, meaning the husband has authority over his wife within the bounds of God’s Word and enforces that authority, if need be, through discipline including but not limited to spanking. He uses his authority to keep peace and order in his home, protect his marriage, and help his wife mature in her Christian walk. In a true Christian Domestic Discipline marriage, discipline is tempered with the knowledge that the husband must answer to God for his actions and decisions in his position of authority.”

On these sites, I have read that God words through the bible (* see below) prove that men (as HoH/head of house) should keep their wives on the righteous path by using psychical discipline which included punishment for wrongs and maintenance/regular sessions too, to remind them to keep right. Some people have suggested that daily maintenance spanking keep wives from doing wrong. These sites explain a) to men why and how to discipline their wives (usually spanking with hand or implement) and to b) women on how to accept it. There are forums, books, blogs and general information sites explain the subject at great detail.

They go to great lengths to stress that this is very different to domestic violence and as it's consensual, it is therefore right. I would be very concerned that the consenting women would be agreeing to be looked favourably upon on their judgement day. What the hell happened to love one another as I have loved you? They have taken tiny quotes from the bible supporting it and disregarding all the pages on cherishing your wife. They also stress that CDD is very different to BDSM as it's completely non-sexual and I would agree with that. There are other domestic discipline sites but they appear to be with both partners are consensual and they agree that as soon as it's not completely consensual, it's abuse. I'm generally whatever floats your boat but I can't help but think women are being abused and are accepting that abuse as the word of god. I am so pleased that our modern society no longer sees domestic abuse as acceptable. I can understand the surrendered wife type resources out there and can see the benefits in a marriage for all parties but this? No way.

Some of these FAQ have made me want to cry: ?

Why does my wife want to be spanked?
Because she needs to feel that you are in charge and because she has been acting in less than a way a proper wife should.

Do I have to spank her to tears?
Yes, by spanking her to tears you are allowing her to fully submit and be humbled for her actions.

Isn't spanking just for kinky play?
No, it is a great form of behavior modification and attitude adjustment.

Does it need to be on the bare bottom?
Yes, by having her bottom spanked bare will increase the effectiveness of the spanking and help to teach her.

What if it doesn't work, and her behavior continues?
Some problems require more than one discipline, you will need to spank her again.

What instrument should I use?
The best by far is always the hand, it is safer then other things, and besides you always have it with you.

What if I am mad, could I hurt her?
If angry at the time, put her in the corner and take that time to cool down. Once you have gotten control of your anger then spank her.

Can't I just listen to her instead ?
No, she has all the girlfriends she need to listen to her. She needs you to be strong and correct her behavior.

I have never spanked her before not even for play. will it hurt her?
If a wife has her bottom bared and is spanked, yes it will hurt. That is the purpose of it, and helps to better her behavior.

Will I have to always monitor her behavior?
No, after a little while she will become contrite and submit to you as her HOH, have her keep a journal so when needed it can be reviewed.

(* for starters - Ephesians 5:21-24 Be in subjection to one another in reverence for Christ; wives, to your own husbands, as to the Lord, our Owner. For a husband is lord and master of the wife, in the exact same manner as Christ likewise is Lord and Master of the Church; He Himself being the Savior of the body. Moreover, in the exact same manner as the Church is in subjection to Christ, so also the wives to their husbands, in everything. and 1 Peter 3:1 Likewise, wives, be in subjection to your own husbands, so that, even if some refuse to believe and obey the word of God, they will be won over without a word, because of the behavior of the wives.)

http://www.christiandomesticdiscipline.com/home1.html

http://www.christiandd.com/index.html

How can they call themselves Christian? ☹️

53 replies

• Pop Up Pundit
    Beginner
    Pop Up Pundit ·
    • Hide content

What a very depressing, limiting set of beliefs this discipline stuff is. It makes me sad to think that there are people who genuininely believe this.

What I can't help coming away with is a slightly resigned feeling that if you want to be kind to people and love them you'll do just that and may choose to explain it through your religious beliefs. And if you want to abuse people, you'll do that and equally explain why you do it based on your religious beliefs. When the sad truth is that people behave well and people behave crappily and religion is neither her nor there in why they do it...?

• JK
    Beginner February 2007
    JK ·
    • Hide content

Re the Domestic Discipline thing, it's a total beard. Sadists, masochists, all manner of mind games and power brokering in relationships. For many I'm sure it's abuse, specifically when one partner feel powerless to alter the arrangement, but for a proportion (and I'd suggest a significant proportion) it's going to be an emotional/sexual buzz.

• Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

The Holocaust is surely not a major religious conflict (unless it's argued that Nazism was a religion) - Jews were persecuted on racial rather than religious grounds in the sense that you wouldn't get yourself off a train to a concentration camp by converting to Christianity/by being an atheist in the first place (actually many of the Jewish intellectuals who fled to London and other places were atheists, e.g. Freud).

I do agree with Knownowt as well about the tribal thing.

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

PP, i m really not sure why youre makign such a sarcastic and tiresome reply to me (genuine) question. However, since you have, I feel compelled to address it. You're right, I do have little idea what christians believe and this is principally because in my experience all christians believe something different and mould their belief to what suits them both morally, spiritually and in terms of their lifestyle.

and come on, derail the thread? you yourself have pointed out on numerous occasions in response to that every statement that in any given thread, other questions come up, small alternative conversations happen etc.

lastly, my questions had nothing to do with "is there a god" and was based on the same subject you were challenigng yourself ie religion/war/disease etc and since you asserted that it was your right to challenge jules about her statement, it is equally my right to challenge yours without being accused of "derailing" or treated like some child who keeps asking the same question over and over.

• hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But as I've said many many times on here, the whole point of Christianity is that there are no set rules. Believe in Christ as son of God and saviour and treat others as you would be treated. That's it.

God gave guidelines to the Jews (10 Commandments) but by the time of Christ some Jews had turned that into a whole long list of dos and don'ts and lost the point of the whole thing. So when Jesus came, he said forget the past, all you need to do now is love god and love your neighbour. If you benchmark everything against that you can't go far wrong. Except once again, organisations form to try and interpret what that means, which is why you get denominations and discussion and differences of belief.

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

but as you demonstrate by that statement, thats YOUR interpretation. some stick to the letter of the bible, others some parts, some not much of it. it seems to be a moveable feast and is one reason why i find it so frustrating.

your faith is your own, and thats fine, i respect that, but i cant understand it.

• Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

It's an interesting dicussion - re. the moveable feast bit, what makes Christianity different from many other religions (most notably Islam*) is that we don't actually have much of what God said, the Bible is all written by men and the selection of those was a bit arbitrary. So, in a sense it has to be a moveable feast because there's no absolute authority, much of it will be a matter of interpretation unless you set up someone on earth to have that authority (like the Pope). Of course I also agree that people have used this lack of clarity and absolute guidance on every matter to create a version of Christianity that serves their own purpose, moral, political or (as in this CDD bit) as a pretext for abusing women. The lack of clarity I think you can criticise, but whether you can criticise a religion for individual people's misuse of it is a further question.

*which obviously has its own internal divisions, but the difference is that they believe they have access to the actual word of God

• hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's not just my interpretation, that's a pretty well accepted interpretation from theologians.

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

So why do so many peoples beliefs differ so much?

taking you as an example, you believe (correct me if i m wrong) that evolution/creationism are not mutually exclusive. i believe you take this position due to your sciencey background. some believe in evolution, some creationism. whilst the thrust of the faith seems to be similar in most christians, its the elements of it which differ so much. adam and eve/genesis etc/new testament. everyones different.

and zoays comment "not all religion is bollocks, only most of it" well, why do christians have a monopoly on whats "right"? what makes scientology different from christianity? nothing.

• hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Because, as I said above, that's the core of it. The rest of it is about interpreting exactly what "love god and love your neighbour" means in practice. The Bible is a guide to that but that's also open to interpretation because of translation, context and the passing of time. And the fact that evolutionary science didn't exist when it was written.

There is nothing in the Bible defining creation. There's a story but most people accept that as an allegory. There's no description of genes or survival of the fittest or any of that but there's no alternative either, so it's something you have to interpret now.

It doesn't change the core principles. I don't see why you can only believe in a religion if it's one that has everything defined. No religions have that, not even Islam - some Muslims believe in jihad, most don't.

And with many of these things you get the views of a small but vocal group on the fringes of what most people accept as standard. In the same way you get the majority of scientists accepting climate change is manmade but a small and vocal contingent who disagree.

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

So that begs the question, why is there more than one religion?

what religion you follow is (mainly) purely an accident of birth / geography. nothing more.

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There is one rather key difference - Unlike Hubbard, Jesus wasn't quoted as saying if you want to make a shedload of money, start a new religion ?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

no, but at the time, social control was more important than money, and only that because people hadnt figured out that you can make money from religion.

oh, apart from the catholic church ?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

btw, the quote is mythical.

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content

Then stop asking the same questions over again. We've been over this ground countless times, to nobody's satisfaction. The original premise was to do with "religion", not any particular faith or deity. As knownowt pointed out, it was an unquantifiable and faintly ridiculous statement from Jules, and all she need done was to admit that.

You're the one that chose to bring god into it.

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I understood it's more that it's been quoted/paraphrased by so many sources no one knows for sure what was said, but I think Orwell may have said it first. Who knows, it certainly fits in with his thinking ?

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

The actual quote was "You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion."

In a reply at a science fiction association meeting in 1948, apparently.

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe ?

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

PP, if you dont want to respond to my questions, then dont. simple really. as i ve said to you before, i am trying to understand it, and my repetition of questions is to do with that, as i never receive satisfactory replies. so i can get this in before you do, lets leave it there ?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

its unsubstantiated. plus, its based on the myth of a bet which is described quite well here

http://everything2.com/title/The%2520Heinlein%2520-%2520Hubbard%2520Wager%2520Myth

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

Fairy muff. I don't have enough of an interest in Scientology to have googled it any further. Besides, I slept last night so not looking for another CDD or FLDS subject today. ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics