Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

baublegirl
Beginner January 2007

Christmas dinner - starter ideas needed

baublegirl, 18 of December of 2008 at 13:45 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 19

We're going to a friend's for Christmas dinner this year, and I've offered to do the starter.

I normally do something quite light - gravadlax, or king prawns or similar.

However, this year I need to cater for the following pain in the arses careful eaters:-

My Mum - won't eat prawns (or any seafood) or smoked salmon. Will eat fish, meat and veg

Me - I'm coeliac, so need to be gluten free, although I'm happy with a plate of whatever without the bread usually

Friend's husband - fussy blighter, not really keen on fish or anything too spicy.

3 kids under 5 - fairly conservative in tastes, although TBH I'll serve it up and if they don't eat it, then they'll have more room for turkey

I was thinking of doing a large platter with a selection of cold meats, olives, antipasto sort of things, but wasn't sure if this would work as a starter - might be easier to have something that could be plated individually?

Or my other favourite is scallops fried off with a touch of cumin and served with a pea and mint puree. I know my Mum's never tried them, and as they're quite meaty I thought I might get away with it, but am not sure.

Hmmm - really don't know what to choose.

So - what are you having? And what would you do in my shoes?

19 replies

Latest activity by (Mrs) Magic of Christmas, 18 of December of 2008 at 18:59
  • MD
    Beginner
    MD ·
    • Hide content

I think the platter selection sounds like a great idea.

We're having pate and melba toast - not sure if you could have a toast substitute though as pate by itself would be naff.

Meat for the other 3 and mushroom for me!

• Rosencrantz
    Rosencrantz ·
    • Hide content

We are having melon & parma ham with olives. Mum is providing it as I'm doing all the rest. I got the new Nigella Christmas book yesterday for my Birthday so I'll have a look in there if you like?

• baublegirl
    Beginner January 2007
    baublegirl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh that would be great - thanks ?

• (Mrs) Magic of Christmas
    (Mrs) Magic of Christmas ·
    • Hide content

How about pate? My friend is making chicken liver and brandy pate, which sounds lovely. You could have it with oatcakes (Can coeliacs have oatcakes?)

Soup maybe, well obviously not if you have soup course too but... ?

• Rosencrantz
    Rosencrantz ·
    • Hide content

Ok, Nigella suggests...

Parma ham bundles (Parma ham wrapped around goats cheese and figs)

Roast squash & sweet potato soup

Oh... that's about it!

• baublegirl
    Beginner January 2007
    baublegirl ·
    • Hide content

I do like pate - have never tried making it myself. Guess that would be a good way to ensure it's gluten-free. And yes, I could have it with oatcakes.

Good call.

Also like the melon and parma ham think (sorry poster, can't see your name and have memory like sieve!) but am rubbish at getting a melon at the right stage of ripeness! They're always too hard or just past their best. What's the trick?

• W
    whitetiger ·
    • Hide content

I would have gone with a traditional parsnip and apple soup.....

• Champagne
    Beginner June 2007
    Champagne ·
    • Hide content

I've often done Jamie Oliver's parma ham, mozzarella, nectarine (or peach) over salad leaves, drizzled with olive oil & lemon juice.

Or soup for simplicity & ease.

• R
    Beginner March 2004
    RachelHS ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I usually go by the smell and how soft they feel. If I can smell them, they're not under-ripe, and if they feel too soft, they're over-ripe.

I'll be the nutter sniffing and squeezing the melons in the supermarket then...

• LouM
    Beginner August 2007
    LouM ·
    • Hide content

Portobello mushrooms stuffed with onion and garlic (grate the onion and garlic and soften in olive oil) and topped with slices of tallegio cheese and fresh thyme.

• Ginger
    Beginner June 2008
    Ginger ·
    • Hide content

I would second portobello mushrooms, i made some last weekend with onion and garlic softened in butter and olive oil, added a little of finely chopped streaky bacon, added alittle cream to the mixture, then filled the mushroom, crumbled a little blue cheese and toped with breadcrumbs, in the oven for 15 mins, served on rocket. They were delicious.

As a newly converted prawn and fish eater i would not reccomend serving scallops to your mum, i would have not dealt with that when i was funy about fishy stuff ( i now love scallops, except the pink penisy bit)

• LouM
    Beginner August 2007
    LouM ·
    • Hide content

Oh yes, jolly good point Ginger re. putting them in the oven! I can't imagine they'd taste too good raw. ? I sometimes bake sometimes grill them, depending on what else is cooking at the same time and what oven/ grill space I have.

• Ginger
    Beginner June 2008
    Ginger ·
    • Hide content

? i did assume you cooked them

• D
    Beginner June 2005
    Deano ·
    • Hide content

What about indiviual baked camembert with crudites? Super easy to make & delicious!

• Ginger
    Beginner June 2008
    Ginger ·
    • Hide content

Deano, good idea, ooh, make it christmassy with a cranberry relish type thing. mmmmmmmmmmmm

• D
    Beginner June 2005
    Deano ·
    • Hide content

Oohhh that sounds yummy, may have to try it for tonights dinner!

• R
    Beginner March 2004
    RachelHS ·
    • Hide content

Baked goat's cheese with cranberry sauce is nice. Particularly if you can get the cheese with breadcumbs on the outside - Sainsbury's used to sell them in a set with a pot of the sauce, but it was probably a bit of an expensive way of doing it.

• Hide content

Pate really is so easy to make and you can do it a couple of days in advance.

/food/recipes/quickchickenliverpat_71660

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/french/chicken-liver-pate-with-cognac-with-sweet-and-sour-red-onion-salad?utm_source=www.hitched.co.uk&utm_medium=d&utm_campaign=otn&utm_content=from--recipes/chicken-liver-pate-with-cognac-with-sweet-and-sour-red-onion-salad%2C1471%2Crc.html--to--node/13383

https://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/c/chicken_liver_pate.html

/food/recipes/chickenliverpate_85880

http://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/chicken-liver-pate

Guess what I've just decided to make to have in the fridge over Christmas? ?

• baublegirl
    Beginner January 2007
    baublegirl ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much for all your ideas everyone. I feel much more inspired now!
    Will call friend tonight, and decide what to do.

After my Mother's behaviour today she's lucky it's not a seafood salad, but I think Mrs Magic wins with the home made pate. With some back up bought from Waitrose in case it goes hideously wrong ?

• Hide content

Woo! <punches air> ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics