Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

sarah_Jayne1905
Beginner September 2014

Church and Scaffolding!!

sarah_Jayne1905, 21 of January of 2014 at 18:48 Posted on Planning 0 21

We've just spoken to our vicar about the scaffolding that appeared over Christmas due to falling masonry, to be told that it's being fixed during the summer so more permanent scaffolding will be in place.

I completely understand that the repairs need to be done but now i'm flapping over it being in photo's and guests seeing that the moment they arrive, i don't know what to do :/

Am i being a div??

21 replies

Latest activity by MrsDJG, 7 of February of 2014 at 16:42
  • Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

It depends on how much there is and whether you plan on doing all the photos at the church or can do them at the reception. If you can do most at the reception and just stick with maybe some of the two of you at the church your photographer should be able to sort of fit you in-between the scaffold legs and still get some of the church in the background for you.
    I have come across this a few times, one was a big panic but it turned out that the scaffold was on a side of the church that I wouldn't use for photos anyway, and another time it rained and so everyone ran into the church looking down at their feet, not that that is the best option.
    Another time the work to the entrance side of the tower was done as a priority so that when it came to the wedding it was now away from the entrance and on to the next part of the job, maybe that could be an option. In the past I have also had to photoshop scaffolding from a church.
    And inorder to stop people from climbing up and nicking the lead off the roof, the 1st stage of the scaffolding is very high so all that is going to be in the photo left to phoshop out is the odd leg.
  • Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

A few years ago I photographed a wedding in Royston Herts.....the church there had had to have some emergency works done and the interior was cris-crossed with scaffolding....

Is your scaffolding on one side of the church or both???

Peter

• sarah_Jayne1905
    Beginner September 2014
    sarah_Jayne1905 ·
    • Hide content

It'll be on the face of the church, so the inside shouldn't be affected..

We just spoke to the TOG and he said although it could be edited it'd be a lot of work for an album and he'll need to take from something to do it so if there's lots he can't mirror it or something..i dunno what i'm on about with that!! and obviously artistic shots won't be any good either.

This is our church below

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I would be gutted if it were me but I would just focus on the fact that your guests are there to see you get hitched and won't he worried about how the church looks.

There will be lots of chances for photos and you are getting married in your church- that's the main thing surley? Chin up.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WOW!!! what a Church

Why didn't you put that picture up in the first place. If I were your photographer I would be knocking on the vicars door myself.

Looking at it - it must be a very popular church to get married in so there must be other brides not happy and if you can all say something maybe the work can be done sooner and out of the way for all the weddings.

Your photographer is right, scaffolding on that would be a big photoshop job, most churches are a random stone that is easy to photoshop out stuff, I do it all the time with drainpipes that I don't like, and in your 1st post I thought that is the sort of church we were talking about.

If I were the photographer I would go there now and take a before photo, in sun, shade, and so on so that I have a clear base of parts of the structure that would be completely covered by scaffold planks. so that I had something to "re build" the picture with. So we are talking about just 1 shot of the two of you with the church in the background that would have to be taken from the same angle as the before photo.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Is that Crowland Abbey? It looks very similar

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

It would be hours and hours of Photoshop work.....

Lovely church btw.....

• sarah_Jayne1905
    Beginner September 2014
    sarah_Jayne1905 ·
    • Hide content

Yes *Nursery* it is Crowland Abbey! Smiley smile

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Out of interest Sarah-Jayne, which photographer are you having for that area?

Peter

• sarah_Jayne1905
    Beginner September 2014
    sarah_Jayne1905 ·
    • Hide content

His name is Lee Daniels (Elegantlee Captured) based in Peterborough, will suggest he visits and takes picture prior the day, really hoping it'll all be finished in time, i also agree that people are coming to see us get married but i want people to look at the abbey and be like wow not eww look at the scaffolding,i know it'll be something that i'd pick out, we have a back up in that we are able to married at our reception venue if needed, if it's not one thing it's another!!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Ooh you're local to me! I used to sing in the choir there and the abbey was a possible venue for our wedding as H's parents married there, our niece was christened there and H's grandma's funeral was there!

Wher are you having your reception? I don't think people will even think about the scaffolding

• sarah_Jayne1905
    Beginner September 2014
    sarah_Jayne1905 ·
    • Hide content

It's a small world, we live in Crowland, love how you can see the Abbey for miles Smiley smile

We're going to The Baskerville's Hotel in Baston, i know the food is good there, the garden is lovely!! Smiley smile

• Graceystim
    Beginner April 2014
    Graceystim ·
    • Hide content

Crowland abbey is lovely, my sister in law married there, (ps I'm local too-spalding) Smiley smile

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks....I asked because there is a serious "issue" with another tog close to where you are marrying. naturally I wouldn't have posted details on this open forum........Your one is fine though.....

Peter

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Two years ago a wedding venue contacted me to tell me that on the wedding I was booked for will have scaffolding all around it, I asked if I could take some pictures of it now before the scaffolding went up and they agreed, seeing as it was close I went 3 times in different weather and got loads of pictures, it was quite easy to edit after the wedding ? and the venue asked if the pictures could be used by other photographers if they wanted to, I think in all 5 photographers used my before photos for their couples ?

Lovely church/abbey.

• sarah_Jayne1905
    Beginner September 2014
    sarah_Jayne1905 ·
    • Hide content

Just an update because i'm s chuffed, the vicar just called to sy that the planned works will begin next year now, so there will be no scaffolding on our wedding day!! Yip!! Smiley smile

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Great News....

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

Crowland Abbey is lovely, such a shame there will be scaffolding up.

I'm in Peterborough & went to a wedding party (following an abroad wedding) and the Baskervilles, Baston is a lovely village. X

• sarah_Jayne1905
    Beginner September 2014
    sarah_Jayne1905 ·
    • Hide content

MrsDJG, turns out the scaffolding won't be up till next year, so we're all good now, i can't wait!! Smiley smile

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh I can't believe I missed that post! Fantastic! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics