Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

diamondbride
Beginner July 2016

Church and venue booked - Ramside Hall!

diamondbride, 29 April, 2012 at 17:22 Posted on Planning 0 43

Hi ladies!

We've been engaged for coming up to 2 years now and after looking at nearly every venue in the North East we have finally booked our reception venue - Ramside Hall in Durham. I'm so excited!!

We went to look around a couple of weekends ago and loved it, and went back to their wedding open evening last Monday with my mum for her seal of approval, and we've now been to pay the deposit. It's official... i'm getting married!!

Just wondering if anyone else has been to / is getting married at Ramside Hall? Would love to hear any stories (good ones I hope now deposit is paid!! hehe)

Thanks

DB x

43 replies

Latest activity by Shelenmac, 23 January, 2013 at 11:37
  • gemchoo
    Beginner May 2012
    gemchoo ·
    • Hide content

Hi DB!

The Ramside is lovely! We've been to a lot of events there including wedding receptions and everything has always been lovely ?

One of my BM's is having her wedding reception there next year too in the marque!

Where abouts are you from? I'm Durham too!! x

• diamondbride
    Beginner July 2016
    diamondbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah Gemchoo that's good to hear! It seems to get really good feedback and the staff have been amazing the times we've been there!

I'm from Sunderland originally but now live with my OH in Newcastle.

Where are you getting married? Any tips on local suppliers? x

• diamondbride
    Beginner July 2016
    diamondbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh and i've just noticed you've only got 5 days to go!! WOW! How you feeling? x

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

Big huzzah for booking your venue!! Smiley laugh

?

So much easier to plan when you have a real place in mind to put all your ideas into!

• diamondbride
    Beginner July 2016
    diamondbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!!!!

Yes I totally agree! Being engaged for a while I've already got loads of ideas but they're all hypothetical. It's great that I can now picture rooms and decor in my head to make proper plans! Smiley smile x

Beginner July 2013
    *Loula** ·
    • Hide content

Hi diamondbride, Congrats at booking your venue. The Ramside is lovely. Its is very popular and gets good reviews. (I had my school leavers prom there - 8 years ago lol) I'm also a Sunderland bride. ?

• diamondbride
    Beginner July 2016
    diamondbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Loula,

Crikey look at all the North East brides! It's great that there's a few of us! Where are you getting married?

x

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

Congrats, ramside is a lovely venue, which rooms have you booked?

Beginner July 2013
    *Loula** ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married on 27th July 2013. Ceromony at St Peters then reception at National Glass Centre. I'm so pleased with the church and the venue is just gorgeous. My planning is going really well. Good luck with your planning xx

• gemchoo
    Beginner May 2012
    gemchoo ·
    • Hide content

I'm originally from Whitburn but live near Dalton Park now, small world!

Yep, 5 days to go, mega excited now, everything is organised and good to go, cant wait! We're getting married at St Johns church in Sunderland then our reception is at Wynyard Hall in Tees Valley - sounds far but it's just down the A19.

So far all of the suppliers i've used have been amazing, i'm a people person really so their personalities had to match their portfolios for me, no good if their works amazing but they make me want to cry! but i'll report back after the wedding to confirm they were as good in practice as they have been during the planning!

Have you started dress hunting yet? x

• diamondbride
    Beginner July 2016
    diamondbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! We've booked the ballroom. I loved the huge chandelier in the entrance to the Bishop's Suite but fell in love with the ballroom as soon as we saw it so had to go with that! Smiley smile

• diamondbride
    Beginner July 2016
    diamondbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah fantastic! St Peter's is gorgeous and the glass centre will make such an unusual venue - fab for photos! Bet you're really excited! I'm looking forward to sharing lots of ideas as I get further into the planning!! Keep me posted with yours x

• diamondbride
    Beginner July 2016
    diamondbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Small world indeed!!

5 days... can't imagine how excited i'll be then if i'm this excited with over 2 years to go!! haha. I LOVE Wynyard!! If OH's family and friends weren't all in Newcastle I would probably have picked it myself. It was just that bit too far from us. The fact i'm from Sunderland and he's from Newcastle is bad enough! That's one of the reasons we've picked Ramside as it's right in the middle.

Are you providing transport for your guests? We're thinking of putting on a coach between the church and venue. More just to keep everyone together and prevent any delays to the afternoon more than anything. Not looked at costs or anything as yet though, so I may change my mind!! haha

Looking forward to hearing about your suppliers afterwards. I'll look out for the details!

Not started dress hunting yet. Sounds silly but as we don't get married 'till 2014 I don't want to book/buy everything too early in case I see other things and change my mind nearer the time. I was planning to wait until next year before I dress hunt. Next on my list is to book a photographer!

Hope you have a fab week and wedding day and everything goes to plan!

x

Beginner July 2013
    *Loula** ·
    • Hide content

Eee Gemchoo me and H2B have just bought our first house in WHITBURN (Wellands Lane). H2b has lived in Whitburn all his life. Bet you are mega excited with only 5 days to go. You'll get a lovely long ride in the car from St Johns to your venue. Ours will be the shortest ever - St Peters to the Glass Centre lol x Cant wait to see your report. All the best x

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

I would say a coach would be a good investment based on the fact It will stop your guests getting lost around the hotel on arrival, as the ballroom entrance is on the opposite side of the hotel to the main entrance. Plus there are some nice vintage busses around.

• gemchoo
    Beginner May 2012
    gemchoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

NOWAY!! I grew up in Wellands Drive!!! i wonder if i know him / you??

DB we considered a coach / bus but people who are staying over are bringing cars so there's more than enough space for everyone who needs to get from the church to Wynyard - might be worth considering this in the interest of saving a few pennies?

OT but i hope the fog does one by Friday!! xx

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hi DB

Bet you're excited now the venue is booked! Ramside is a fantastic venue, the weddings we've covered there have all gone really smoothly and the wedding guests have all had a great day. Did you go to the brides up north wedding fayre at Ramside a few months ago?

Ali x

• xtlcx
    Beginner May 2012
    xtlcx ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on booking your venue.

I've never been to a wedding at the Ramside but I've heard it's lovely.

I'm also a North East bride, from Sunderland

• Sparkly Tyke
    Beginner March 2011
    Sparkly Tyke ·
    • Hide content

No wedding stories for Ramside Hall but I've been to other events there and always been very impressed! If we had held our wedding in Durham, it would have definitely been on the shortlist. Congrats on booking such a lovely venue!

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Also North East... Durham/Northumberland.

We are using Ramside Catering, been to many a function at Ramside Hall and always had a lovely time, also watch out for the singer they have on most Fridays, he's really good and does weddings.

• diamondbride
    Beginner July 2016
    diamondbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was thinking this, I don't want them getting mixed up with rooms and wandering in to the wrong function suite! haha. Plus I can keep control (not in a control freak way!) and make sure the afternoon isn't delayed. The only thing is (as is mentioned below) if lots of people choose to take cars and stay over I may end up with an empty bus! I'll probably ask people who would need a seat when it comes to rsvp's etc and work it out from there. Thanks for the advice!! Smiley smile x

• diamondbride
    Beginner July 2016
    diamondbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the tip! Will encourage car-sharing!! hehe

Fog was terrible this morning - I had to drive over to Consett for a meeting and could hardly see the road in front, but luckily it cleared by lunch time so I'm sure you'll be fine. Fingers crossed for a sunny Friday!! xx

• diamondbride
    Beginner July 2016
    diamondbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Ali,

Ahh i'm so excited!!! Can't stop smiling. Feels like we've just got engaged again even though it's been 2 years!! We've picked October (2014) as we like the idea of the evenings being a bit darker and the low light. We're hoping to get some good photos! Glad your experiences have all been positive - good to know!!

No unfortunately I missed that one Smiley sad We were there last week though when they had a wedding open evening with the rooms all dressed and staged for a wedding. There were a couple of suppliers there but not a proper fayre. Will be looking out for future ones!

DB x

• diamondbride
    Beginner July 2016
    diamondbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! Wow another from the north east! Where are you getting married? x

• diamondbride
    Beginner July 2016
    diamondbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much! That's so sweet!!! Are you getting married in the North East? x

• diamondbride
    Beginner July 2016
    diamondbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yey for another Durhamite / North Easterner!

Are you having a marquee wedding? I tired to find a dry hire venue as I loved the idea of bringing in caterers and creating everything from scratch but there are not many places in the North East who will allow it unless it's a marquee.

Ooh i'll have to look out for him! Thanks for the tip! I have been thinking about having a band but he might be another good option. I'll look in to it thank you

x

• xtlcx
    Beginner May 2012
    xtlcx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're getting married at St Mary's in Easington and then our reception is at The Alexandra in Sunderland x

• Sparkly Tyke
    Beginner March 2011
    Sparkly Tyke ·
    • Hide content

I'm an OM now DB, I live in Durham but we decided to get married in York as my family are all in West Yorkshire so it was the midway point for us. We did briefly think of keeping it local to us though and Ramside was one of the few venues we would have looked into. All the best with the rest of your planning x

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes having a marquee on private land... its so much to organise, but hopefully it will be worth it as we've been able to invite everyone we wanted.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi DB

October is a lovely time of year for a wedding, I love all the colour in the trees - the driveway on the way into Ramside will look great! Enjoy all the planning, good that you have plenty of time before 2014 so you can plan at your leisure!

There's going to be another Brides Up North showcase at Ramside Hall on the 9th September which is worth going to - the last fair was free entry and they had fashion shows etc. We can't make it which is a shame as we already have a wedding booking that day, so many of the shows around here are hit and miss with regard to how good they are, but that was a great fair. Ramside also used to organise their own big wedding fair but I can't see any mention of that on their website now, so I wonder whether they're just going to have the Brides Up North fairs instead.

Ali x

• P
    Beginner April 2013
    polly407 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

I bookedmy reception on that open evening to and also fell in love with the ballroom Smiley smile

• beckixlou
    Beginner June 2014
    beckixlou ·
    • Hide content

Aww we went to look at Ramside Hall! The rooms are lovely!!! We've chose Beamish Hall, It was the first one we saw & just fell in love with it!

Iv been looking for North east brides! I live in Leeds but the church in Durham is important to OHs family.x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics