Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner April 2012

Church and Vicars?

woohoooo, 5 January, 2011 at 18:23 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi

I want to get married in my local church. The date I have asked for, the vicar has refused because he is too busy. He said no to the weekend before too. I don't really have another option of church, and being a teacher, it is hard to get married any time other than in the holidays. I want to get married in Easter and not summer (xmas is impractical as i teach music and am way too busy).

Basically what I want to know is can I bring my own vicar into a church? There is a family friend who is a vicar and they would probably do it but I dont know if there are rulings against it! Can anyone help me?

Thanks x

6 replies

Latest activity by lovelygirl, 6 January, 2011 at 12:40
  • O
    Beginner May 2004
    oldmarried ·
    • Hide content

I think it probably depends on your relationship with the church. Are you a regular church goer? Have you just spoken on the phone or seen the vicar in person? I always think this is the sort of thing best sorted face to face. I would phone the vicar and arrange an appointment to see him to discuss your wedding plans. He can then have his diary with him and it might be harder for him to wriggle out on the basis of being too busy. Also if you talk about the meaning of getting married and why being married is so important and flatter him a bit first you will then get the opportunity to explain why the date is critical and might build a bit of rapport. If he is still saying he can't accommodate you it then might be easier to introduce the idea of someone else conducting the service.

• Weegee
    Beginner August 2012
    Weegee ·
    • Hide content

You'll need to gain the permission of the vicar first and i think you may have to pay also but i'm not a 100% certain.. hope it works out for you

• W
    Beginner April 2012
    woohoooo ·
    • Hide content

I am a sporadic church goer really. I have just spoken on the phone to this vicar. I think that you are right and it is probably best to speak to him in person. Do you think that you are allowed to bring in an outside vicar then if this one is unwilling to marry us seen as it is a busy time of year?

Thanks

• O
    Beginner May 2004
    oldmarried ·
    • Hide content

Most parishes already have a stand in for holiday cover etc so am surprised that this has not already been offered anyway.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in a Registry Office, but my SIL is getting married in church this year. She wanted to get married over Easter but was unable to find a priest who would do it. The actual Easter weekend is not allowed and the weekends around it the priest was busy due to Easter.

If I were you I would get married in the summer, you are more likely to find someone who can do it then.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married in church by the Rector who will have retired by then. She has generously offered to come back and "do" us, but if there is a new incumbent by that time, she can only do it if he/she gives permission.

There is no extra cost to us for this.

I'm guessing that a similar thing might apply to you and you would need the permission of the "resident" Vicar to bring your own Vicar in.

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Ok this might not come out the way i want it but i am going to try nonetheless....

Churches has a wide and broad spectrum of work they carry out for their communities and worshippers. Important dates in the year such as christmas and easter they are very very busy doing gods work. I also think it would be unfair to pressurise the vicar into doing your wedding, when he has clearly said he is too busy. I am not saying marriage and wedding as not high on their priority list, but they have certain festivities which are top priority.

On another note... Within the catholic church as that is the one i am more familiar with, I am getting married in my parents parish church where i grew up, but my FIL2b who is going to marry us and is from another parish. This has not been a problem as we have a clear tie to FIL2b obviously.... Also there has been no charge, but we need Father Jim whose church it is to be there as our registrar... as FIL2b is not a registrar from that county so you may need a registrar ontop of a minister....

Hope you manage to find a date

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics