Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs.K2b
Beginner August 2015

Church Brides - are you inviting the vicar to your reception?

Mrs.K2b, 22 of March of 2015 at 18:39 Posted on Planning 0 3

This is something that I hadn't thought about until the other week when my best friend asked if we were inviting the vicar to our wedding reception. apparently it is 'the done thing', and that they invited theirs to their reception, although she did decline.

Now, my family (mum, sister, nan and aunty) all go to church (the one we are getting married in) every Sunday, and are active parish members; helping out with Sunday school/youth groups/coffee mornings etc, so do know the vicar that is doing our wedding very well - as well as his wife - so it isn't like I would be inviting a complete stranger who knew no-one, although me and Mr K are yet to meet him as we live an hour away so don't go to church with the rest of my family.

Just interested to see what everyone else is doing and if it is the norm?

3 replies

Latest activity by rockinred40, 23 of March of 2015 at 08:58
  • BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

I'm not getting married in church but from apst experience I'd say if you're part of the regular congregation i.e. not only attending enough for the banns, then it would be appropriate. Even if you are not a regular churchgoer I'd think it a polite thing to do with the expectation that the invitation would be politely declined.

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

We weren't going to but then we went to a special wedding service at the church and he mentioned about going to someone's and how much he loved it. As he is an active member of the community my parents live in and as we're not getting married at a venue and aren't restricted by numbers I think we are going to. It'll mean a lot to him that be invited. But I guess it is up to you and your situation.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think in the old days the vicar was always invited as he would be well known to the brides family. These days it's less common the see the vicar invited.

In your case, he is a family friend though you don't know him personally. It's up to you - he won't think badly of you if you don't invite him. You could extend an evening invitation to him instead.

• rockinred40
    Beginner September 2016
    rockinred40 ·
    • Hide content

Never would have thought of inviting the vicar ( will add him to the list...lol), due to not living within the parish boundary, just 1 road outside I'm having to attend for 6moth first to become a member of the parish, before the vicar will allow me to book the church - time is flying by though have already done 2 months

Sorry if I've semi hijacked the post Mrs.K2b

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics