Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ShropshireLass
Beginner April 2014

Church flower alternatives?

ShropshireLass, 30 of July of 2013 at 19:37 Posted on Planning 0 14

Trying to keep costs down so thinking of alternatives to having a church full of flowers.

The church we are getting married in is gorgeous and tbh, doesn't need a great deal of decorating. Other than maybe tying ribbons on the end of the pews, I can't think of anything else we could use that isn't going to cost a fortune.

We have a max budget of £350 for flowers and need 2 bridesmaid bouquets/corsages, bridal bouquet, something for flower girl, half a dozen button holes, 3 ladies corsages and a top table arrangement (and maybe mothers thank you bouquets) so it's unlikely we can squeeze some church flowers out of the budget too. Would be interesting to know what others are using to decorate their church.

14 replies

Latest activity by *MM3*, 30 of July of 2013 at 22:53
  • *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We're not decorating our church at all,
    Getting 2 pedestals with flowers in our package deal but we'll spend more time in our venue than the church, and people will be there like 45 mins so we're not fussed.
    Church looks lovely anyway so we're just having the flowers after Smiley smile

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

Our church is totally beautiful and has amazing old paintings on the wall. We aren't decorating it at all apart from 2 flower arches over the entrance and entrance to the high altar and a 'long and low' on the high altar itself. We aren't doing anything else and the long and low will come with us to the top table!

If your church is pretty I don't think it's necessary to decorate it overly.

• Gemma Lawrence
    Gemma Lawrence ·
    • Hide content

I've always loved the idea of burlap bows on pew ends with some sprigs of wild flowers (or the likes) .. so pretty Smiley smile
    Where are you based? Are you wanting real flowers or artificial?

• ShropshireLass
    Beginner April 2014
    ShropshireLass ·
    • Hide content

Its a very pretty little church so would need minimum decorating. There is an archway entrance gate so was thinking maybe some bunting there.

We are is Shropshire & the church is in a tiny little hamlet so the surroundings are pretty too!

• ShropshireLass
    Beginner April 2014
    ShropshireLass ·
    • Hide content

Love the idea of burlap bows with some wild sprigs btw! It would go very well with our vintage theme!! :-)

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    bellaZ ·
    • Hide content

My mum arranged for her neighbour, who runs an airport taxi service, to arrive at the church at the end of the service and with the ushers' help transport the church flowers to the reception. We had two pedestals which went behind the top table, a table arrangement which went on the top table and a small arrangement for the register table which went by the cake. Four pew ends which went on a couple of mantelpieces. Two birds, one stone, sorted!

She and a couple of friends had arranged them and the florist who made the bouquets ordered the flowers for her from her wholesaler. Cost for all the above (excluding bouquets, but including nine extra roses, one for each reception table) was about £140. Bridal bouquet, four bridesmaids' bouquets, a groom's buttonhole and six more buttonholes were £250, delivered to the house. We had more flowers than we needed and the rest are still decorating my mum's house.

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What about something like these on your pew ends?

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

This post is seriously making me wonder if we should have some sort of decorations put in the church lol.
    Some nice ideas and thinking ours may be bare, it is lovely but hoping guests aren't expecting to see nice flowers and think we've cheaped out ?

• ShropshireLass
    Beginner April 2014
    ShropshireLass ·
    • Hide content

Catshoes, wow!! Those are some pews!! I love the colour...I think you'd struggle to find decorations that wouldn't clash with them! Not that you need decorations though, pews are decorative enough on their own!!

Katede, love the jars and really love the hessian bows! If budget allows, I may look into making something similar! That should keep me busy over the next few weekends whilst waiting to book/buy more wedding stuffs! :-)

Matthewsmummy, if I'm totally honest, I cannot recall the church flowers for the last 3 weddings I've been too! (and they were all fairly recent!) I don't remember looking out for flowers so couldn't say if they had them or not! I'm not going ott with church decs at all. We probably won't have pedestals or anything big/fancy at the front of the church. I just wanted to put something on the pews to make them look a teeny bit more special than normal. :-)

• Soon2bMrsCB
    Beginner July 2014
    Soon2bMrsCB ·
    • Hide content

This is our church, excuse my son! This was when they had a flower display on, there are only 4 window sills so I'm going to put some fresh flowers in vases on them and have the ones where the choir sit at the front as in the pic, also there are 2 entrance arches so will decorate them some how, not having pew ends x

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I didn't decorate it at all as it was lovely enough

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Our church ladies do a package for £200 so we are having them do the flowers for the church but in addition we are having these:

minus the feather.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks TootSweet, the more I think of it I don't remember if there were flowers or not at previous weddings and certainly didn't look out for them, also can't justify spending an extra maybe £100 or so when we'll spend 45 mins tops in there Smiley smile Will do the same as you probably put something nice on the pews, this is our church..blurry photos and can't really see but you get the picture, don't think it'll need much decoration or if people will even notice Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics