Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

gizmobear
Beginner September 2013

Church Flowers

gizmobear, 20 January, 2013 at 22:09 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi!!

In September we are having a church wedding. I originally thought I wouldnt need any Church flowers as it is such a pretty place any way, I thought that was one area we could cut costs and not splash out on extra flowers, as we are already looking to pay up to 500 for the bouquets and the reception flowers (its all so much more expensive that we expected!)

Anyway, today I was contacted by the church flower lady. She asked what our plans were, and whether we wanted her to provide any flowers for the church.

I explained that I wasnt originally planning to, but she suggested talking to the other couple marrying the same day(earlier than us)about sharing the church flowers ie splitting the cost and having the same flowers. I would be up for this if they agree, as long as its not going to take us over our budget of 500 (MAX!)

I mentioned this to my mum who said she thinks we should have church flowers.

The church lady couldnt give us an approximate price because it varies so much, and depends what we want. We wont know this till we liaise with the other couple and check what they are planning. The lady did say it would be kept neutral if 2 couples were sharing the flowers.

Also, it has been mentioned that couples sometimes use the church flowers for the reception....how would this work....it would mean the flowers being set up at the venue late in the day, and might mean everyone arrives and there are no flowers...

has anyone encountered these issues? also what do people usually pay for church flowers? We are concerned that we are already looking at 700 ish for the church with an organist and a singer, which they recommend.

argh!!!

5 replies

Latest activity by maxinegallie, 21 January, 2013 at 19:58
  • overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Hi - some couples do share the cost of church flowers but obviously both couples have to agree to it and also agree to have neutral colours. Regarding moving of church flowers to reception, my experience of this in the trade (20yrs) is that the Church generally expect people to leave the flowers in the Church as a donation if the church ladies have done them even if they have charged you for them. However, if you had a florist do them, and they have provided their own stands etc, then the florist may remove them and transfer them to the reception. This does, however, mean that the florist has to wait until after the ceremony to do this which is time that she will probably charge for.

In essence, the main reason why people want the church flowers moving is to provide an entrance statement at the reception. As it can take a while for the couple to leave church because of photos, congratulation conversations etc. a lot of guests tend to make their way to the reception without waiting for the Bride and Groom to depart. Bad manners I know, but a lot do! So by the time the flowers and the Bride and Groom have arrived, the impact of everything has been lost really as the guests are already at the bar!

Another point is that it is very rare for a church never to have any flowers at all except Lent. Most churches have flowers in even if they aren't any weddings so, if you aren't too bothered about what flowers they are and what colours they are, then you can save money this way. Even if, for some reason, there aren't any flowers, you could put organza bows on the pews/chairs which is a cheerful way of brightening up the aisle and if the church is pretty anyway, this may be enough. Hope that helps.

Edited to say that it is worth getting a couple of quotes for church flowers from florists as some churches charge more than your local florist would. Not meaning to sound suspicious but it's not unusual for this to happen so don't feel bullied into having what the church suggests if you don't really want it.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I'm not bothering with flowers in the church, I like it how it is, and as we're getting married just before harvest Sunday, the church may already have enough in it!

I never notice them anyway, too busy watching people get married ?

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

From what I have seen is that the pew ends - if you have flowers here are left in place. And you may have one or two pedestals at the top of the church, If your florist has done these, the ushers usually have the job of moving them too the reception I know this because quite often they will come to me first to make sure that I do not need them (ushers) as they have to take the flowers before the church gets locked. The other reason I know is that sometimes I will be taking a shot of the bride and groom with the church in the background and then a giant flower display with usher legs appears.
    When this is taken to the reception more often than not it is placed in the room of the wedding breakfast which is always shut off from the guests so that they do not see it before hand.
    Also yes sometimes the flowers are left in the church for the church.
  • Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Our lady at Church is doing the following:

Altar Flowers

Pedestal in the entrance

Pedestal by the pulpit

Two trailing posies (on the screen next to where we say our vows)

Arrangement on the font

This is for £200.00

We will probably leave most of them at church, move the small one from the font to my Nanas grave.

Our church is fairly small, the cost for the service and organist is £584.00.

Hope that helps.

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    Bride to be Becky from Derbyshire ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in a church but decided we will not be having any flowers in the church as its beautiful as it is . And for how long we are in there I think it's a waste of money. Like you said the church also asked us if we would like to split the costs between other couples getting married in the same day but we said we will not be wanting anyway.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

We did our own church flowers, cost a grand total of £140 and 4 hours the day before the wedding to do them and set them up. I realise this may be awkward for you though as there is another wedding before you. The church people did offer to get us flowers at cost price though, so if you stick for something cheap and in season, it shouldn't be too costly.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics