Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner December 2010

Church haven't read our banns - THE FINAL CHAPTER

car822499, 1 December, 2010 at 20:19 Posted on Planning 0 30

Just been to the church in our parish tonight to pick up our certificate to prove our banns have been read there, only to find out that they haven't read them. They filied the paperwork under December to do, not November. So, with 2 Sundays left until the wedding there's not enough time to read them. Don't need this extra stress!! ARGH! We've been told we need to get in touch with some vicar in a nearby town who will do us a surrogacy certificate?? Anyone know anything about this? So the church has given us a cheque for the difference as it's not our fault and we have yet another thing on our list to do.

ARGH!!!!!

Car. x

LAST UPDATE - WE HAVE OUR MARRIAGE LICENCE - YIPEEEEEEEE!!!!!! We can now go ahead with our wedding in less than 3 days time. Talk about cutting it close. We are so relieved and so are all our family and friends.

Car. x

30 replies

Latest activity by Kat44, 16 December, 2010 at 21:34
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Depends if you are there!

We have to get ours read in the church we are getting married in and our local parish church too... they do it on a Sunday and if they choose the same weeks, we can't be in two places at once!

Our local parish vicar has told me to remind him as he "tends to forget stuff"!!!!! I will be calling and emailing the week before they are due to be read methinks!

Hope you get it all sorted out x

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content

Well we were planning on going to the services but we forgot the first Sunday and the other 2 we were away for so couldn't go. We had good faith that they would get read out. I'm glad we're not getting married at this church. It's our parish church so CofE says they have to be read out there as well as the church you're getting married at.

Car. x

• C
    Beginner May 2011
    Curly Panda ·
    • Hide content

Oh No! I hope you get it sorted! xx

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, that's reassuring. He tends to forget stuff. It's more than just stuff though. Yeah, I vote for bombarding him with emails and phonecalls.

I'm sure it'll get sorted. My OH is going to get it sorted as I'm getting a bit irratated with it all!

Car. x

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Oh what a PITA. Thankfully Scotland stopped doing this banns stuff....

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content

Bit of an update. I'm starting to think we won't be able to get married now. We've just got back from seeing the vicar who is sorting the mess out. He's sending off an affidavit (?) thing to the diocese asking for a special licence for us to be married. He says that hopefully it'll work and they'll accept it but if they don't we'll have to drive 30something miles to a special office place and do something there. I'm really not clear on what's happening but I'm getting worked up about it all. The vicar reckons it'll get sorted one way or another but I'm not so optimistic and keep thinking we've got less than 2 weeks and what if things don't work out? I could really do without all this.

Well, if we end up that we can't get married because of our parish church's mistake, there'll be a pretty hefty bill landing on their doormat!!

Car. x

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

Hi My MIL is a CofE vicar and she's just said that you go to the diocesan registrar and swear on the special license that you are getting married. There is normally a charge but she said the church and vicar should sort out paying this for you as they have messed up and its their mistake not yours. She did say, one way or another you will get married so I'm sure it'll be ok. I'm not sure what the affidavit thing is - maybe your vicar is trying to get it sorted so that you don't have to go to the diocesan registrar. Try not to worry it sounds like you can still get married x

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content

Awww, thank you. That sounds simple. I wonder if this is what he's doing for us. Thank you for the reassurance. I will keep you updated.

Car. x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Can't add anything but good luck!

• N
    Beginner
    northwood ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, fingers crossed it all gets sorted out ASAP for you ?

• kirstykirsty
    Beginner December 2010
    kirstykirsty ·
    • Hide content

My fingers and toes are crossed for you! x

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I've seen this happen before, the couple got married no problem.

Don't worry, put the kettle on Smiley laugh

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Oh chick... I am sure it will get sorted, try not to worry, it sounds like your vicar is getting everything sorted...

I will certainly be chasing mine considering he has already told me he might forget!

• bluebutterfly
    Beginner April 2011
    bluebutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Any update on this?

How worrying for you, stress when you least need it!

I am sure it can be sorted, but you wont rest until it is.

Goodluck x

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We've just got to wait for a phonecall. The vicar was sending all the stuff off today so he hopes to be able to update us tomorrow. I'd like to believe that everything will be okay, but until that licence is in my hand I won't rest!

Thanks for all your kind words and thoughts.

Car. x

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content

Well, we've had a phonecall today to say that the diocese couldn't process our application for a special licence (don't know why). OH has to go tomorrow to the chaplain who is marrying us and fill in yet more forms to apply for an Archbishop's license. We're told that this usually takes 3 weeks to process but are promised it will be done in time. With only 6 working days left, I'm losing faith in all these promises being made. It's really sending me over the edge!!! All this when it's not even our fault, it's our stupid local church that's co*ked it up! Can you sue a church for causing you endless amounts of stress at an already tense time? ?

Car. x

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Oh know i thought that is was all sorted! I really really hope that they manage to pull their finger out and get it sorted!! fingers crossed for you and a big ? and i think you need a ?

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought it was all sorted as well. After being told it should go through fine and then being told differently. Thanks for the hug, although I think I might stay off the booze for fear of not being able to stop ? It's really putting a strain on things though and me and OH had a big bust up tonight. We're okay now though but we're both so furious with it all. If it was our fault then fine, but it's not.

Car. x

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, I can't believe what a mess they've made and I can't begin to imagine how worried and stressed you must be.

I really hope it gets sorted for you, I will keep everything crossed

x

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much. It's great to know that I have people I've never met thinking about me and supporting me.

Car. x

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content

Woooo hoooo!!!! We are all clear to go now. Licence here. Yey!! ???

Car. x

• Kitty824
    Beginner December 2011
    Kitty824 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Big sigh of relief! so glad you finally have it sorted. 2 days!!! this time next year I will only have 2 days until our wedding!

good luck on the day and congratulations!

x

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yes, a huge big sigh. The year will fly by for you, enjoy every moment of it. Thanks for the good lucks. I'm getting excited now.

Car. x

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!!! I'm so glad it's come together in the end x

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Glad to see you had a happy outcome, enjoy now

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Thank heavens for that - you must be SO relieved - I'd be seriously thinking about sueing the vicar for traumatic stress! I hope the bishop 'boss' gets him in the office and throws the book (excuse the pun) at him!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

And there was me whingeing about a Xmas pressie I ordered not turning up yet! Puts it all in perspective really when you hear stories like this.

You must be so relieved - the stress would have killed me by now.

Good luck with it all. At least it's a story to tell in years to come!

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Eee, well I was wondering if you could actually sue a church. I just doesn't feel like the right thing to do though. There will, however, be a strongly worded letter to both the church and the diocese of Durham with an invoice in for the difference in money that we had to pay due to their error! I think I'll just get Saturday over with first though.

Car. x

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! on keeping your sanity through all of this! and i suppose it is a warning to us all that get married in the church to make sure we attend church to listen to the banns to make sure it is done!! Glad you are getting to get married and i look forward to reading your report and seeing your photos Smiley smile

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

Oh I am so relived for you!

Now I hope you get to relax a little and just enjoy your day

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics