Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

2013_Bride_
Beginner August 2013

Church Music Help

2013_Bride_, 12 March, 2013 at 14:48 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi All,

Our vicar has asked us to decide what music we want for our entrance / exit from church.

Bit baffled as I thought they just had the traditional wedding march for entrance (is that only played for me, not BMs?)

As for exit?! I've never noticed what happens at a church wedding?

Can anyone help / shed some light?

Thanks

8 replies

Latest activity by Teal, 12 March, 2013 at 15:57
  • B
    Beginner March 2013
    beanie-lou ·
    • Hide content

I think you can have what you want - obviously this depends on the vicar and the church you are marrying in.

We are staying fairly traditional for entrance and exit music. We are having 'Arrival of the Queen of Sheba' for the entrance as in my opinion, it's a bit more upbeat than the traditional wedding march.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Traditional is entrance to the Wedding March by Wagner (here comes the bride) and exit to the Mendelssohn wedding march. Other popular organ pieces for entrance or exit include Zadok the Priest (as used on the famous British Airways ad) and Arrival of the Queen of Sheba.

You can have pretty much what you want as long as it's not offensive. My cousin had Amazing Grace, and she was piped into church by a piper to that. If you want the church organist and the music isn't a traditional organ piece, just check that they are OK with it.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks.

I guess I'd always imagined actual 'church' music rather than songs we like if that makes sense?

I'm a bit stumped though where to even see the options for church music!

Obviously I know / have picked our hymns, but struggling with organ music for entrance / exit!

Did your vicar direct you to anywhere to find options or did you just know of the arrival of the queen of Sheba yourself?

Thanks

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

We had a harp playing and had these songs:

Entrance: Canon in D

Signing: kissed by a rose- Seal

Exit: I do I do I do- Abba

We got married in a deconsecrated chapel with a celebrant, so unsure if there are rules when marrying in a church. Have you asked the church if they have a list of popular songs?

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all!

The wedding march and mendelssohn march are what I was after Smiley smile

I didn't realise you could have a choice so I'm glad to now know names for the songs I am thinking of!

Many Thanks!

• B
    Beginner March 2013
    beanie-lou ·
    • Hide content

We already knew that we wanted to stick with traditional so that made it much easier to choose.

We are lucky in that my OH's brother-in-law is playing the organ for us on the day and played the traditional music for us so that we could get an idea.

Have you tried searching on You Tube for some ideas. You could always ask the vicar what they would recommend, or is there a song that you particularly like?

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

You tube is your friend - but speak to the organist about what they (and the organ - they are all different!) can offer. Widor Toccata from Symphony no. 5 is a very traditional/popular choice. Lefebure-Wely Sortie in Eb is a a very different option, but good fun. Mulet Carillon Sortie is also very call. All need a well maintainted big organ though (or a digital - the little ones in some village churches won't cope with much of the big repertoire!)

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

We had a harp playing and had these songs:

Entrance: Canon in D

Signing: kissed by a rose- Seal

Exit: I do I do I do- Abba

We got married in a deconsecrated chapel with a celebrant, so unsure if there are rules when marrying in a church. Have you asked the church if they have a list of popular songs?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics