Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner January 2012

Church Portals Nous, Majorca =- help

Smurtagh87, 25 of June of 2013 at 13:52 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 7

Has anyone ever been married in the church in Portals Nous. I have tried calling the priest to discuss but he doesn't speak any English.

Has anyone dealt with an english speaking priest here?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Stephyx

7 replies

Latest activity by MichelleM85, 6 of August of 2013 at 11:22
  • A
    Beginner April 2013
    aimzxx ·
    • Hide content

Hi hun,

I married in the UK but I love Majorca..My fave Island by far...It might be worth having a look online to your restrictions as far as i'm aware they can only give you a blessing in the Balerics not a legal wedding recognised in the UK.

Good luck, I'm very jealous! Wedding location envy :-)

x

• A
    Beginner May 2014
    actorgirl3 ·
    • Hide content

You can get legally married in Majorca if you are Roman Catholic. Im not so we're having a registry office do then going out to Majorca the next day for our 'wedding'.. Stephy have you tried going through a wedding planner? happy to pass on details of mine, she is half the price of everyone else and so far shes wonderful, she speaks Spanish so it takes the stress out x

• S
    Beginner
    SunnyIvoryCakes19 ·
    • Hide content

Hi you need to contact Judy email *************@*****.*** tel ****

• L
    Beginner
    lauragreen100 ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help me but I think this thread could be a good place to start! I am planning our wedding for Sept 2014 in Majorca. I've found the hotel I want to get married at and they can pretty much deal with everything, so I don't feel I need a wedding planner.

They have however told me to contact the local authority to find out what paperwork I will need to sign over there as they cannot help with this. They also suggested I ask if the local authority can provide me with a list of local priests as the hotel don't provide one.

We are not catholic so the ceremony will purely be a blessing. Does anyone know the legalities of this and whether we do need to sign paperwork and if so how I get in contact with the relevant people? (I have emailed the British Consulate but so far, no response)

Also, is it necessary to have a priest for a blessing or will a registrar suffice? Is there really any difference in Majorca?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Smiley smile

Laura

• A
    Beginner May 2014
    actorgirl3 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Laura

Congrats on your upcoming wedding, im getting married in Pollensa in May. Ok so..there are no legalities as such as you are only having a blessing, the legal part would need to be done in the UK before your blessing. We are doing a quicky registry office do the day before we fly out. You will need to take your marriage certificate with you. The main question is whether or not you will be having a church service or a civil ceremony? If you are having a church service you need to contact the Anglican church of Majorca, they will then send you through the paperwork you need, which is basically a ''donation to the catholic church'' (I put it in quotation marks as its actually compulsory!) for the use od the church (as all churches in majorca are catholic) you then also pay the fee for the Anglican priest, and a fee for the service. Its relatively similar to a UK church wedding, you fill in a form about you and your partner and living details etc..

So if you are having a church blessing then yes you have to have a priest, but as you are not Catholic - it would be an Anglican priest. You cant have a registrar in a church, but you absolutely can if youre having your blessing at a hotel/restaurant etc. Heres a link to the Anglican church, im afraid I don't have any details for a registrar as we are doing a church ceremony, but you should email Julie Bussell (link below) as she runs a directory and would be able to help you with some names of registrars.

Do let me know when you start to look for bands as im struggling with that one!! good luck

Laura x

http://www.anglican-mallorca.org/

http://www.mallorcaweddingdirectory.com/

• L
    Beginner
    lauragreen100 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Laura

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly! How have you found arranging your wedding? Have you had a while to arrange? I'm feeling stressed about everything already despite trying not to! The hotel I want to book with has a chapel on site but they have said we can have the ceremony there or outside, depending on what we prefer. So in that case, I don't really know where we stand on the matter of ceremony! Do you have to sign any Spanish paperwork on top of the uk side of things first? The hotel has implied that we will need to sign some paperwork at a Spanish government building first.

Thanks for the link to the website, it looks like it will be really helpful. Do you have a direct contact for her? I can't tell if I'm being blind but I can't find an email or anything on the website!

Thank you for your help! Smiley smile

Laura x

• A
    Beginner May 2014
    actorgirl3 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Laura Julie's email is *****@****************.**.** I really do sympathise with you it's pretty stressful but we've got an amazingly cheap wedding planner who's been fantastic basically just pointing us on the right direction (she's a third of the price of the other planners!) happy to pass on her details if you like? I'm wondering if the hotel are somewhat confused thinking that you're Roman Catholic perhaps and so intending to have a full wedding there as that's the only reason why you would need to contact the Spanish government etc, might be worth checking? If I were you u would speak to the Anglican chaplaincy in Palma (they're English) and ask them first of all if they perform wedding at that particular chapel, there is no paperwork involved as far as the government go because it is a blessing not a legal wedding so i would do that in the first instance and then if you decide you prefer it to be at the hotel you can start looking at celebrants/regestrars instead, feel free to email me any questions etc happy to help Laura x

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    MichelleM85 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

We get married next Sept in Majorca and it's all been really simple to arrange the Church! We were told right away it was much simpler to have the civil ceremony in the UK shortly before the wedding in Majorca(but enough time for our marriage certificate to arrive!). On the Wedding day we just have to show our marriage certificate to the priest before the ceremony. We werent even asked if we were Catholic or not, and everything was dealt with very smoothly by Irene in the St Andrews Church, we chose our date, she pencilled it in the Church diary and emailed us some simple forms and some more information about fees etc, and that's that. We go over in a couple of weeks to meet with her and pay the 'donation'. I would advise you to have the legal ceremony in the UK, and have your wedding blessing in Majorca shortly after, it's so much simpler than trying to do it legally over there! Good Luck x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics